May 27th, 2010
It's the last weekend of May, sounds like a reason for celebration to me! Here's what's coming up:
- The politicians are still debating whether or not to legalise casinos in Bermuda, but if you can't wait any longer, you could always attend the Casino Royale Night at Docksider's this Saturday, May 29th. No cash prizes will be given out there will be prizes donated from Red Laser, Cafe Cairo, Coconut Rock, Cycle Care, Bermuda Bookstore, Fitness and Nutrition – with more donations on the way. Doors open at 8pm and you will be able to play Blackjack and Crown & Anchor until 11pm then cash your chips in for raffle tickets to win some great prizes. Texas Hold'Em tables will run till the end of the night or till there is a winner (only 16 seats available so you might want to get there early). If you're not the gambling type, then fear not as there will be other entertainment available – Vinyl Jam and Bad Jelly will be providing live music, DJ Smokey will be mixing it up in between bands and MC Moose Moose will be doing a comedy act. This event is a fundraiser is to aid Rachael Smith with airfare, hotel and registration fees for the Vegas Annual International Pool Tournament at Riveria Hotel. Rachael has been selected to be the team captain of the 3rd team representing Bermuda at an international level. She is also the only woman representing Bermuda. All funds raised over the needed amount will go to the Diabetes Association. Entry Fee is $10 and chips are $20 for $150 worth of chips. Tickets are available at Dockies or from Rachael at email@example.com. Here's the poster.
- Living green translates to living clean and the Department of Community and Cultural Affairs has decided to use the ecoHERITAGE Festival as an opportunity to encourage lifestyle habits that promote longevity, communitarianism and wellness. This event will be on Sunday, May 30th from 12 noon until 4.30pm at the Botanical Gardens and featured component include Free Yoga, Tai chi, Qigong, and Kritan chanting; An Eco-art area; A Heritage tent featuring traditional practices including cake design, composting and box cart building; Wellness and Environmental lectures throughout the day; Storytelling; All natural food vendors; and Live entertainment. Click here for the flyer with full details.
- To coincide with their 125th Anniversary, The Fairmont Hamilton Princess is having a series of history tours this summer. The first is on Saturday, June 19th from 2pm until 2.45pm and is FREE and open to the public! Spies, royalty and colourful characters will come to life as the hotel once again opens its doors for its popular history tour. Led by popular Bermuda tour guide and historian Tim Rogers, the tour will take participants as far back as the late 1800s when personalities and world events irrevocably shaped the history of the hotel and the country. Reservations for the tours are not required so just meet in the lobby if you're going. Those wishing to stay for the hotel’s 125th Anniversary Afternoon Tea with Champagne are asked to call 298-5779 for reservations and information. Additional history tours will be held on July 17 and August 14. I was on a similar tour at HP last summer and would really recommend it.
- The Newport Race is fast approaching. If you have any visitors over for that week, then they might be interested in the Bermuda.com Preferred Visitor Card exclusively for participants and fans of the 2010 Newport-Bermuda Yacht race. Locals can buy them too and the card has exclusive discounts and special offers on Dining, Golf, Scuba Excursions, Ground Transportation, Snorkeling, Shopping and more between June 15th and 30th. The cost is $15 and more details are available on http://www.bermuda.com/onlinegangway/.
- I've mentioned before that the Tiki Bar at Lemon Tree is now open late every weeknight but I just received a copy of their weekly schedule as each night has it's own theme: Mo'Beer Monday, 2 for Tuesday, Hi-Ball Hump Day, Tapas Thursday and Wine Down Happy Hour. Here's the flyer.
Daylesford Chamber Choir show What a Wonderful World – May 27th to 29th
7th Annual Bermuda Guitar Festival - May 27th to 30th
SATC 2 Premier - May 28th
Casino Royale Night at Docksider's – May 29th
ecoHERITAGE Festival – May 30th
An Indian Night for Planet Earth - June 8th
Newport Race – June 18th
Hamilton Princess History Tour - June 19th
Mambo Nights "Latin Beats: The Evolution of Mambo" – August 11th to 17th
Hamilton Princess History Tour - July 17th
Hamilton Princess History Tour - August 14th