July 21st, 2010
Phew, you know it's getting crazy-hot when sleeping in your fridge seems like a good idea! Still, let's make the most of the summer while it's here:
- The next in the BIFF Film Series will be The Exploding Girl which will screen at the BUEI Tradewinds Auditorium on Thursday, July 22nd at 6.30pm. The lead actress Zoe Kazan won Best Actress kudos at the Tribeca Film Festival for this role. Tickets are available at the door from 5.30pm and cost $8 for Film Club members and $10 for everyone else. Film running time is 75 minutes – for reservations and all inquiries email email@example.com or call 293 3456.
- This Friday, July 23rd, there is an Exhibition Tournament at The Bermuda Squash Racquets Association to raise money for the Bermuda National Men’s Squash Team. Kick-off time is 6pm and cost of entry is $30 which includes homemade chilli and wine following the Squash. Here's the poster.
- Any Michael Jackson fans out there? If so, say Beat It to boredom and moonwalk your way to the Tribute to Michael Jackson Show at the Fairmont Hamilton Princess on Saturday, July 24th. There will be a variety of acts, all by local artists, including Michael Jackson impersonators, dancers and tribute songs to him. After the show there will be a video tribute with snippets from MJ's career projected onto a large screen on the wall of the Princess Room. After-show music will be provided by DJ Cavon and Malcom "Lethal Weapon" Smith. Dress code is smart with no caps or sneakers. Doors open at 8pm, the show starts at 9pm and goes until 11.30pm and tickets are available at Shannon's Boutique and Caesar's Pharmacy at a cost of $30. VIP tickets are $85 and available from David Lee Tucker at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 234-3715. Here's the flyer.
- A quick update on the Soca vs Reggae show at Snorkel Park on July 30th – there is now a ferry organised, leaving Hamilton every hour from 10pm. The last ferry is at 3.15am – here's the flyer.
- Famous for Fifteen Minutes is back! This is the 9th annual playwright competition from the Bermuda Musical and Dramatic Society (BMDS) and presents six short plays, from a variety of genres, each lasting 15 minutes (hence the name!) at Daylesford Theatre. I have seen this show a few times and the plays are always at a really high standard. It will run from Thursday, August 12th until Saturday, August 21st (with no performance on August 15th). The Gala Night is on closing night at 6.30pm with a pre-show reception with food and drink. Tickets are $25 or $75 for the Gala Night and will be available from www.bmds.com from August 7th.
- Finally, an update on the Bermuda Music Festival 2010 (September 30th to October 2nd)! Last night, Bermuda Tourism unveiled the line-up for this year and Ziggy Marley, Toni Braxton, Angie Stone and Estelle are all confirmed performers who will be joined by local talent Homegrown, McCartney K and Friends and the Chewstick Collective. Tickets go on sale Monday, July 26th at www.bdatix.bm or from the iStore or Fabulous Fashions at Heron Bay Plaza.
- Splendido Restaurant are celebrating their second anniversary year on August 4th and in appreciation for your continued support they are having their Splendido First Annual Corkage Free Dining. Bring one or two bottles of your favourite bottles of wine and the corkage fee is on them – this applies to lunch on Saturday or Sunday or for dinner from Monday to Thursday. This offer starts Monday, July 26th and ends on August 26th. Call 239-7411 for reservations. Here’s the lunch menu and here’s the dinner menu.
- Fairmont Hamilton Princess have kindly sent me their Summer Days-Summer Nights 2010 flyer for their weekly events. Mondays are Martini Mondays where their Mixologists create a speciality Martini every Monday night at special prices. Tuesday is the Island BBQ featuring local and Caribbean dishes from 6pm until 9.30pm. Wednesdays have complimentary wine-tasting from 5.30pm until 6.15pm followed by a special paired menu in Harleys Restaraunt. Thursdays are Oyster & Chablis Night with fresh oysters flown in the night before with a chilled glass of chablis served tableside from 5pm. Friday is of course Happy Hour from 5pm until 9pm with live music and cocktails. On Saturdays, you can enjoy Jazz under the Stars from 6.30pm until 9.30pm as you dine on Harley's Terrace and listen to a live jazz band. Sunday Brunch is from 12.30 pm until 4pm. Here's the Monday to Thursday flyer and here's the Friday to Sunday flyer.
- Cambridge Beaches have sent me details of their Cup Match offers. The Tamarisk Terrace will be offering a Non-Mariners' Day BBQ. Seating is from 12 noon to 3pm at a cost of $45 per person, plus gratuities. They are also selling whatever rooms they have available for Cup Match weekend at 50% off their Rack Rates. Here's the flyer with full details!
11th Annual Argus Open Tennis Tournament – July 15th to 24th
BIFF Film Series: The Exploding Girl – July 22nd
12th Annual College Students Networking Event - July 22nd
Exhibition Tournament at The Bermuda Squash Racquets Association - July 23rd
Tribute to Michael Jackson Show - July 24th
Bermuda Hockey Federation Wine-Tasting Series – July 28th
Cheeky Tiki Luau Party - July 28th
Soca Fete - July 28th
5th Annual Beachfest Emancipation Celebration - July 29th
CUP MATCH - July 29th to Augst 1st
Cruise for a Cure - July 30th
Movie Raftup at Paradise Lakes – August 7th
Hamilton Princess History Tour - August 14th
Mambo Nights "Latin Beats: The Evolution of Mambo" - August 11th to 17th
Famous for Fifteen Minutes - August 12th to 21st
Bermuda Hockey Federation Wine-Tasting Series - September 30th
Bermuda Music Festival 2010 - September 30th to October 2nd
SheROX Bermuda Triathalon - November 14th
Bermuda Hockey Federation Wine-Tasting Series - December 2nd
MONKEY NEWS: Okay, I know I’ve been a bit delinquent with Monkey News recently but hopefully this one will make up for it – these pictures cracked me up, plus I have added something new to my list of things-to-do-before-I-get-too-old-to-do-cool-stuff! Ali, shall we book a trip to Myrtle Beach? Enjoy:
Enjoy the rest of the week!