October 22nd, 2010
Morning all and Happy Friday!
So, if you've visited my online home recently, you might have noticed a few changes around the site? In addition to the main listing of events, I have added a new section with extra resources, including Activities, Recurring Events, Seasonal Menus and more. Check it out at http://www.nothingtodoinbermuda.com/still-bored.html. Comments, suggestions and (constructive) criticism are very welcome, as always! More sections are coming soon, including one for Kids (by popular demand)!
- Something a little more educational, the Bermuda Reading Association presents Teaching for Strong Early Reading Behaviours to Prevent Readers who Struggle. This seminar will cover the critical early reading and writing behaviours and participants will have the opportunity to explore the complex issues, practices and theories around how to teach beginning readers. This will be on Saturday, October 23rd from 10am until 11.30am (Registration opens at 9.30am) at Bermuda Red Cross Building, Berry Hill Road, Paget. Professional development hours are available for this and the space is limited to 20 participants. The cost is $50 so RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 535-8035. More details on the Bermuda Reading Association are available at www.bermudareading.org. Here's the flyer!
- Held over by popular demand is Midland Drama Association present Escaping from the Mob – Part 3, the newest show to grace the stage at City Hall Theatre. Written by local playwright Molessia Foniciano, this show centres on a wealthy mafia family and combines thriller, action, musical and dance performance – more details are on their website here. The show will play on Thursday, October 28th and Friday 29th at 7.30pm at City Hall Theatre. You must be 10 years or older to attend, tickets are $25 and available from www.bdatix.com.
- More spooky shenanigans coming up as Bacardi are hosting a special Halloween Scavenger Hunt! Teams should be between 4 and 6 people and all participants MUST be over 18 as, unsurprisingly, consumption of alcohol will be involved in the hunt. Signup is at 2pm at Bacardi HQ on Pitts Bay Road and the hunt begins at 2.30pm within Hamilton City limits, so no vehicles are permitted. The game will end at Latin/Rumbar at 4.30pm with cocktails and snacks. Prizes include dinner vouchers, spa treatments, hotel stays, Bacardi products and more. If interested, please contact Vernon Pemberton at email@example.com. The signup sheet must be in by Thursday, October 28th - here is a copy! **UPDATE: This is now completely sold out!
- The Bermuda Society of Arts (BSoA) at City Hall will be showcasing the best of Bermuda's fashion designers at the Bermuda Fashion Collective Show. New York? Paris? Milan? Nah, all the glitz and glamour you need will be right here in Bermuda for this one-night only show on Thursday, November 4th from 6pm. Featuring designers Amethyst, Ashley Aitken, Dana Cooper, Dean Williams, Shay Ford, Talibah and Torri Simons, tickets are $30 and are available from www.bdatix.com. Here's the flyer!
- Yoga teacher Todd Crews from the International Centre on Bermudiana Road has invited Certified Anusara yoga teacher Christy Nones from Miami to Bermuda to lead a special three-day workshop. This workshop, designed for all levels, will run from Friday, November 5th until Sunday, November 7th at the Newstead Belmont Hills Golf Resort & Spa, Paget. For more in-depth information, please see the Bermuda Sun article here.
- More festive themes coming up with Wines for the Holidays at Bermuda Society of Arts on Friday, November 19th. Michael Robinson from Burrows Lightbourn will be presenting a selection of wines for the silly season. Doors open at 5pm and the wine-tasting begins at 6pm sharp. Tasters will get a discount of 10% off of cases of 12 (can be mixed) plus a 13th bottle free! Tickets are $35 or $300 per table of 10 and available from firstname.lastname@example.org or www.bdatix.com. Here's the flyer!
- The Fairmont Hamilton Princess official 125th Anniversary Celebration will be on Saturday, November 27th. From 7pm you can enjoy cocktails and a silent auction, with dinner and entertainment to follow from 8pm. The evening proceeds will benefit The Bermuda National Trust. Tickets are $125, include dinner, drinks and entertainment, and can be purchased by calling 298-5720 or 236-6483.
- The Fairmont Hamilton Princess will host its annual Teddy Bear Tea from Saturday, December 4th until Friday, December 24th. This is a children’s Christmas tea and is served daily between 2.30pm and 5pm with an etiquette class included on December 5th, 12th and 19th. The cost is $35 for adults, $25 per child, or $19 for children under 12 who donate a brand new teddy bear or other stuffed animal. The bears will be donated to various Bermuda charities for families in need. On Saturdays and Sundays, children will enjoy a special storytelling with Santa Claus at 3:30pm. Reservations for tea should be made with the hotel's concierge on 298-5779. Here's the flyer!
- Lots of seasonal menus are starting to appear so I have created an album to keep them all together. There is also a copy of the album on the Facebook Page. In addition to the Christmas stuff, here is a Thanksgiving menu from Mad Hatters.
Click on the event name to be taken to the original post with full details. No link means that the details are in this current post:
27th PGA Grand Slam of Golf – October 18th to 20th
Oktoberfest at Lemon Tree - October 22nd
Bermuda Docs – October 22nd to 24th
Inner Peace Retreat at Cambridge Beaches - October 22nd to 24th
Sybil's Dynamic International Female Impersonators - October 23rd
Melange Fundraising Cocktail Evening - October 23rd
Bermuda Reading Association seminar - October 23rd
Showtime Four All Breed International Championship Dog Shows - October 23rd to 24th
Escaping from the Mob – Part 3 – October 28th to 29th
Summer Breeze presented by Kappa Alpha Psi - October 29th
Flashdance Retro 80s Costume Party - October 29th
The Haunted Playground - October 29th
Jana Stanfield Benefit Concert - October 29th
Dream Dare Dance 2nd Annual Conference for Women - October 30th
TRFC Blood - October 30th
Latin presents Halloween 2010 - October 30th
Fright Night - October 30th
Windreach Harvest Festival - October 30th
Annual Mariners RFC Halloween Ball - October 30th
Snorkel Park present True Blood - October 30th
Olde Town Market Launch - October 31st
Bacardi Halloween Scavenger Hunt – October 31st
Bermuda Fashion Collective Show – November 4th
The Sunshine League Amazing Cookie Bake Sale – November 5th
World Rugby Classic Week – November 5th to 12th
Anusara Yoga Workshop – November 5th to 7th
November Mambo Nights - November 6th
The Hilarious Comedy of Hypnotist Fernandez – November 12th to 13th
ANCOP International (Bermuda)’s Rock of Love - November 13th
SheROX Bermuda Triathalon – November 14th
KatKids Christmas Market 2010 - November 19th
Wines for the Holidays – November 19th
Deerfield Ranch Wine Maker’s Dinner & Wine Pairing - November 13th November 20th
Weekend Film Series - November 21st
St. Andrew's Ball Dance Practice - November 24th
Caledonian Society of Bermuda's St. Andrew's Ball 2010 - November 27th
Fairmont Hamilton Princess official 125th Anniversary Celebration – November 27th
Handel's Messiah at the Museum - November 27th to 28th
Bermuda Hockey Federation Wine-Tasting Series - December 2nd
TRFC Fight Night XII: Festive Fists - December 4th
Teddy Bear Tea – December 5th to 24th
Alonzo Bodden One-Man Show Double Threat Comedy Show - January 12th
Just for Laughs Bermuda - January 13th to 15th
Weekend Film Series – January 16th
Weekend Film Series – February 20th
Have a great weekend!