October 27th, 2010
I was going to wait until Halloween was over with before sending this little World Rugby Classic Special but it seems that a lot of you are already champing at the bit and can’t wait for this event to arrive. Not sure if it’s for the love of the sport or if you just want to get your drink on… Anyway, I gave some details of this before here but thought I’d give more of a detailed breakdown. First up, some regular events:
- Feel like not enough people know how much of a genius you are? BEPRO (Bermuda’s Emerging Professionals) are hosting their second Pub Quiz Night next Wednesday, November 3rd, at Flanagan’s Outback Sports Bar. BEPRO aims to connect a diverse and progressive network of emerging professionals who wish to develop professionally, socially, and civically. They hold various networking events throughout the year and this one is open to non-members. Please RSVP to email@example.com by Friday if you’re planning on attending – you can also turn up on the night but they ask that you arrive by 5.45pm if you haven’t pre-registered. The cost is $5 for members and $10 for non-members. Their website is www.bepro.bm – here's the flyer!
- There's a little Guy Fawkes'/Bonfire Night celebration at Gates Bay, below Fort St. Catherine, St. Georges from 8pm on Saturday, November 6th. There will be refreshments and sparklers for sale. Here's the link to the event on Facebook
- This year, the Bermuda National Trust Christmas Walkabout in St. Georges will be on Friday, December 3rd. If you haven’t been to this before, you get to stroll through St. Georges, enjoying all the seasonal festivities (musical entertainment, historic readings, Christmas goodies, etc.), with many historic buildings and private homes open to the public. Lots of them also give you free egg-nog and stuff! Kick-off is at 6.30pm and it is highly recommended (by me, if that means anything?).
- Christmas is fast approaching which means it’s almost panto season (oh no it isn’t)! The Bermuda Musical and Dramatic Society (BMDS) presents The Firebird by Carol Birch as their 2010 Pantomime in City Hall. The Firebird is based on the 1910 ballet by Igor Stravinsky (choreographed by Michel Fokine) and based on Russian folk tales of the magical bird that is both a blessing and a curse to its captor (booooooooo!). Of course, this is the panto version so will not be that high-brow (hurray!) – expect lots of slapstick, audience participation, cross-dressing and other shenanigans as we follow the adventures of Prince Ivan and his search for the elusive Firebird (he’s behind you!!). The show will run from Thursday, December 9th until Saturday, December 18th and tickets are $35. Visit www.bmds.bm or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Here's the flyer!
- I've had a couple of questions about the Bermuda Christmas Boat Parade – sadly, it will NOT be going ahead this year but it'll be back in 2011. Here's the website!
Now, back to World Rugby Classic Week! Full details are on www.worldrugby.bm but I thought it would be useful to have it listed out. I'll add in anything else as I find out about it:
- First up is the Opening Night Party in the new Tent Tavern at the National Sports Centre in Devonshire. This will be a 50th Anniversary of the 60’s Party on Friday, November 5th at 8pm with music by Red Alert and food stalls by Café Lido. Admission is $20.
- The First Round Matches will be on Sunday, November 7th and gates open at noon. The first game is Canada vs. the Classic Lions (A) at 2.30pm, followed by South Africa vs. the United States (B) at 4pm. At 7pm, Red Alert will be playing again in the Tent Tavern. On Monday, November 8th, the gates will open at 5.45pm with France vs. New Zealand (C) at 7.15pm and Argentina vs. Australia (D) at 8.30pm.
- On Tuesday, we’re having a little rest from the rugby with the World Rugby Classic Golf Tournament. Yes, that’s right, a Rugby Golf Tournament, not to be confused with a Hockey Ping-Pong Tournament. This will be at 12.30pm at Riddells Bay Golf & Country Club and is by invitation only.
- On Wednesday, November 10th, Bermuda XV will play Lloyds RFC at 5.45pm. At 7.15pm, Loser A will play Loser B in the Plate Semi-Final. Hmm..actually, I do not like the term loser – let’s say championly-challenged instead. Anyway, at 8.30pm is the Classic Semi-Final with Winner A vs. Winner B and live music in the Tent Tavern from 10pm. The gates will open at 5.45pm for the Semi Finals on Thursday, November 11th. The Plate Semi-Final at 7.15pm will pit Championly-Challenged C against Championly-Challenged D, and the Classic Semi-Final at 8.30pm will have Winner C against Winner D. Again, there will be live music in the Tent Tavern from 10pm.
- On Friday, November 12th, we get a little change of scenery as the venue changes to Barr’s Bay Park in Hamilton for the On The Waterfront Party from 8pm until 1pm. I believe entrance is free and you just buy drinks tickets but I will update if I find out otherwise. **UPDATE: Admission is $20 in advance from email@example.com or $25 on the gate. Music is by Mohawk Radio with Vinyl Jam as the opening act. Here's the flyer!
- By the last day, Saturday, November 13th, you can expect to see a lot of ill-looking people who have aged about ten years due to a combination of alcohol consumption and lack of sleep. Gates open at 4.30pm for 2010 Finals Day. This will kick off with Bermuda Old Boys vs. Atlanta Renegades Old Boys at 5pm, followed by the Plate Final at 6.30pm, the Classic Final at 8pm and then more live music in the Tent Tavern at 10pm.
There are a few different options for admission:
- The Members’ Tent is the premier facility at the Classic. Here sponsors and guests can enjoy sit-down lunches or dinner (depending on playing time), wine with meals, an open bar and seating right behind the goal-line. A limited number of badges are available for the five match days at a cost of $1,000 per person. Daily badges are also available at at cost of $225 for Sunday and Monday, $250 for Wednesday and Thursday, and $300 for Saturday. For tickets, you can contact the WRC Office on 278-1446 or contact John Kane here.
- This Classic Club membership package entitles you to daily entrance to the National Sports Centre and the Classic Club Tent, a larger tented area with exclusive seating and viewing area, four free drink tokens per person per day, reduced bar prices, and a light supper/lunch (depending on playing time) before the start of play. A 5-day pass costs $600 per person or $900 per couple. The Classic Club tent is also the facility set aside for the players and their wives to congregate, so you have the opportunity to meet, talk and drink with them. Prices per day are available upon request to Martine Purssell or John Kyle who you can contact here.
- If you’d rather just have general admission, daily game passes are $25 are available now at the Island Shop, Old Cellar Lane, off Front Street, Hamilton.
Click on the event name to be taken to the original post with full details. No link means that the details are in this current post:
City Scavenger Hunt - October 18th to November 12th
Quiz Night at Bermuda Bistro at The Beach returns - October 27th
Escaping from the Mob – Part 3 - October 28th to 29th
Summer Breeze presented by Kappa Alpha Psi - October 29th
Flashdance Retro 80s Costume Party - October 29th
The Haunted Playground - October 29th
Jana Stanfield Benefit Concert - October 29th
BPRFC First Annual Halloween Band Bash - October 29th
Dream Dare Dance 2nd Annual Conference for Women - October 30th
TRFC Blood - October 30th
Latin presents Halloween 2010 - October 30th
Fright Night - October 30th
Windreach Harvest Festival - October 30th
Annual Mariners RFC Halloween Ball - October 30th
Snorkel Park present True Blood - October 30th
Olde Town Market Launch - October 31st
Bacardi Halloween Scavenger Hunt - October 31st
Bermuda Reading Association 5K Run and Walk - October 31st
Ciné Club (OSS 117 – Le Caire Nid d'Espions) - November 2nd
BEPRO Pub Quiz Night – November 3rd
Bermuda Fashion Collective Show - November 4th
The Sunshine League Amazing Cookie Bake Sale – November 5th
World Rugby Classic Week – November 5th to 12th
Opening Night Party – November 5th
First Round Matches – November 7th to 8th
World Rugby Classic Golf Tournament – November 9th
Semi-Finals – November 10th to 11th
On The Waterfront Party – November 12th
2010 Finals Day – November 13th
Anusara Yoga Workshop - November 5th to 7th
Learning Disabilities Association of Bermuda Workshops 2010 - November 5th to 6th
November Mambo Nights - November 6th
Fireworks in St. Georges – November 6th
The Hilarious Comedy of Hypnotist Fernandez – November 12th to 13th
ANCOP International (Bermuda)’s Rock of Love - November 13th
SheROX Bermuda Triathalon – November 14th
KatKids Christmas Market 2010 - November 19th
Wines for the Holidays - November 19th
Deerfield Ranch Wine Maker’s Dinner & Wine Pairing - November 20th
Weekend Film Series (Countdown to Zero and Heartbreaker) - November 21st
St. Andrew's Ball Dance Practice - November 24th
Caledonian Society of Bermuda's St. Andrew's Ball 2010 - November 27th
Handel's Messiah at the Museum - November 27th to 28th
Bermuda Hockey Federation Wine-Tasting Series - December 2nd
Bermuda National Trust Christmas Walkabout – December 3rd
TRFC Fight Night XII: Festive Fists - December 4th
Teddy Bear Tea - December 4th to 24th
BMDS Pantomime: The Firebird – November 9th to 18th
Alonzo Bodden One-Man Show Double Threat Comedy Show - January 12th
Just for Laughs Bermuda - January 13th to 15th
Weekend Film Series – January 16th
Bermuda Festival of the Performing Arts - January 18th to March 4th
Weekend Film Series – February 20th
Enjoy the rest of the week!