January 6th, 2011
Okay, I know some of you have been waiting with bated breath for this – I finally have the Bermuda Kids section up and running! It’s very basic at the moment but I’ll continue to add to it – suggestions, as always, are very welcome! Anyway, back to the usual Bermuda events and offers:
- Local entertainment legend Gene Steede, recently awarded an MBE for his contribution to music and culture, can also look forward to a less formal tribute this month as Multi Entertainment Organisation have organized a Gala Comedy Roast & Toast to honour him this Sunday, January 9th! **UPDATE: This has been postponed until Sunday, January 23rd ** The pre-roast show dinner is from 7pm with entertainment from Bermuda Triangle Band, Kion Simmons, Cindy Smith, Sia Spence, Gita Blakeney Saltus and pre-roast host Nadanja Bailey. The Roast Panel consists of an impressive assortment of local entertainers, including Gita Blakeney Saltus, Gina Spence, Bruce Barritt, Ronnie Lopes, Ron Lightbourne, Dale Butler, Bootsie, Shine Hayward, Ronald Lightbourne, June Caisey, Nadanja Bailey and Roast Master Jah Simmons. Doors open at 6.15pm, the dinner show starts at 7pm and the Roast starts at 8.30pm. Regular tickets are $65, VIP tickets are $150 (including the three-course dinner, table seating, raffle draw for various door prizes), and they are on sale now at Qui-Ja Fabrics (Walker Arcade), Kit-N-Caboodle and Hunt’s Foods & Supplies. Part proceeds go to The Multi Image Scholarship Fund and Gene Steede’s medical expenses. For more information, contact email@example.com – here’s the flyer!
- Okay, this one is for ladies only! The Miss Bermuda Pageant is back for the first time in over ten years. The date of the pageant itself has not yet been announced but the deadline for applications is February 1st and forms can be downloaded from the website www.missbermuda.bm. Experience is not needed, they are just looking for young women who will be between the ages of 18 and 25 by June 30th this year and who are Bermudian or who have been residents of Bermuda for more than one year.
- For anyone starting to think about Valentine’s Day, Cambridge Beaches have announced their 2nd Annual Couples’ Golf Tournament from Sunday, February 20th until Sunday, February 27th. The package price starts from $2103 (no, I don’t know what the 3 dollars is for) per person and includes 7 nights accommodation, breakfast/afternoon tea/dinner daily, welcome reception and gift bag, midweek cocktail party, final gala awards dinner, four rounds of golf at Port Royal with box lunch, two 50 minute Swedish massages, daily prizes and more. Full details and the itinerary are on the website here and here’s the flyer!
- You all seem to get excited about spa offers so here’s a double-whammy for you! The Spa at Elbow Beach have released their latest offers between now and March 31st – here’s the flyer! Also, Ocean Spa at Cambridge Beaches have some offers for January – here’s the link with details.
- The 2011 Community Education Brochure has been published on their website at www.communityed.gov.bm. As always, there is a great variety of courses, including art, dance, languages, cooking and more. If your New Year’s resolution is to learn something new, this is a good place to start!
- Yoga on the Rock are also offering a whole host of courses for 2011, too many to list on here so check out http://yogameds.blogspot.com for full details.
- After a brief hiatus for the holiday seaon, Sabor Dance School classes will restart on January 17th so you know where to go if you want to learn salsa, tango, hustle, cha-cha, bachata, ballroom or any of the others on offer. The class schedule for 2011 is now available on www.bermudasalsa.com/class_schedule.
Quick Recap of Upcoming Bermuda Events
Click on the event name to be taken to the original post with full details. No link means that the details are in this current post:
Fairmont to Fairmont Road Race – January 9th
Gene Steede Comedy Gala Roast & Toast – January 9th 23rd
Alonzo Bodden One-Man Show Double Threat Comedy Show – January 12th
Just for Laughs Bermuda – January 13th to 15th
36th Bermuda International Race Weekend – January 14th to 16th
Weekend Film Series – January 16th
Chewstick Seminar II: How to Protect your Hit Song – January 16th
Bermuda Festival of the Performing Arts – January 18th to March 4th
Caledonian Society of Bermuda’s Annual Burns Supper – January 29th
Miss Bermuda Pageant Entry Deadline – February 1st
Weekend Film Series – February 20th
Chewstick Seminar III: Songwriting Workshop – February 20th
Cambridge Beaches 2nd Annual Couples’ Golf Tournament – February 20th to 27th
The Magic of Rick Thomas 2011 – Ultimate Tiger Encounter and Show – February 25th to March 5th
BMDS Fawlty Towers – February 28th to March 12th
A Night Out with BOND: No Strings Attached – March 19th
Second Annual Bacardi National Par-3 Championship – March 25th to 27th