March 2nd, 2011
So, somehow I managed to completely forget that yesterday was NTDIB’s first birthday! Thanks to Patricia from Bernews for the reminder (we share the same website birthday)!
- In the second of the National Theatre of London Live Screenings in Bermuda, Derek Jacobi plays the title role in the Donmar Warehouse production of Shakespeare’s King Lear, directed by Michael Grandage, which will be broadcast from the Donmar’s home in London’s Covent Garden. No need to jump on the BA flight though as this will be broadcast live at Neptune Cinema tomorrow (7.30pm), Friday (student showing at 9.30am), Saturday (7.30pm) and Sunday (5pm). Tickets are $35, or $10 for the student showing, and available online at www.premierticketsglobal.com. Here’s the flyer!
- Many of you will have read about kite-surfer Jeff Johnston’s accident last year. To assist with rehabilitation costs, some of his family and friends have organised a fundraiser, The Jeffrey Johnston Supper Club at Gosling’s Wine Cellar, Dundonald Street, on Saturday, March 5th. Pre-dinner drinks will begin at 6pm, the three-course dinner starts at 7.30pm and entertainment will be provided by the Tony Bar Trio, and videos of Jeff’s rehab. Tickets are $100 per person and available from www.premierticketsglobal.com (further details and the menu can also be found here). Here’s the flyer!
- The Latin Winter Carnival, originally scheduled for last Saturday, has been postponed until Saturday, March 12th. I updated the original post here.
- BEPRO invite you to their latest leadership workshop on Tuesday, March 15th. The Whole and Balanced Leadership Workshop delivered by Norma Nielsen from Benedict Associates will be between 1pm and 5pm at Argus, 14 Wesley Street. Tickets are $150 for BEPRO members, $195 for non-member, and you’ll need to RSVP by March 4th to email@example.com. Here’s the flyer with more information.
- BHS 3rd Annual Teachers’ Association Quiz will take place at the Q.E.H. (Queen Elizabeth Hall) on Saturday, March 19th from 7pm. The entry fee is $50 per team, with a maximum of 6 players. As well as homemade chili, there will also be snacks, beer, wine and soft drinks for sale. All proceeds will go to the T.A. Scholarship Fund. For further details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org – here’s the entry form.
- Dust off your very best hat and get ready for a night at the races, courtesy of M.R. Onions F.C. Race Night will be at Outback on Friday, March 25th and they will be showing 8 pre-recorded horse races which you will be able to bet on. The outcome is totally dependent on chance and no-one (not even the organisers) know the result prior to the running of each race. No knowledge or expertise of horse racing is required, and no “odds” or “form” affect your choice, or the outcome of the race. Backers of the winning horse in each race will make a profit (precise amount depends on the amount staked on that race) with part-proceeds going to a local charity. There are also a number of feature races, including Ladies’ Race, Grand National and the Losers’ Race, each of which have a number of great prizes to be won. Tickets are $10 and are available from email@example.com. Here’s the flyer!
- The Caledonian Society of Bermuda are now accepting applications for The Caledonian Society Education Grant for 2011. The Society will award the successful candidate a onetime amount of $5000 which can be reapplied for on an annual basis. To be eligible for this grant you must be Bermudian and studying full-time tertiary education at a college or university in Scotland. For further details, or an application form, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. The closing date for applications is Monday, May 23rd.
- Gateway Systems Limited have announced their 2011 Training Schedule – you can find full details on their website here for the upcoming Desktop Course Schedule (Microsoft Office), or here for the upcoming Technical Course Schedule (servers, SQL, Citrix and more techy stuff).
- The Bermuda National Library have announced the continuation of their Lunchtime Film Series every Tuesday and Thursday throughout the month, starting at noon. Additional screenings may be possible by request, contact Ellen Jane Hollis, Local Studies Librarian, at email@example.com if you have any questions. Here’s the link to the Facebook event with dates and film details.
- Bermuda Bistro at The Beach have started having Ladies’ Night every Saturday with $6 cocktails and free gifts – Here’s the flyer with details!
- Cambridge Beaches have released their spa offers for March. Here’s the link with full details.
Quick Recap of Upcoming Bermuda Events
Click on the event name to be taken to the original post with full details. No link means that the details are in this current post. For a Calendar view, see here:
Bermuda Festival of the Performing Arts – January 18th to March 4th
Masterworks Exhibit: Tracy Williams – February 4th to March 2nd
BMDS Fawlty Towers – February 28th to March 12th
NTLive: Shakespeare’s King Lear – March 3rd to 6th
Masterworks Exhibit: Marion Watlington – March 4th to 16th
The Jeffrey Johnston Supper Club – March 5th
KatKids Event at BUEI – March 11th
Kids Music Fest – March 12th
3rd Annual Cancer Forum – March 12th
Latin-Rumbar Winter Carnival Festival – February 26th March 12th
BEPRO: The Whole and Balanced Leadership Workshop – March 15th
Hasty Pudding Theatricals HPT163 – Kashmir If You Can – March 17th to 19th
Masterworks Exhibit: Patrick & Sarah Vandenberg – March 18th
A Night Out with BOND: No Strings Attached – March 19th
Bermuda Cancer and Health Centre Open House – March 19th
BHS 3rd Annual Teachers’ Association Quiz – March 19th
World Dancing Championships – March 19th and 20th
G&S Show: Animal Farm – March 23rd to March 26th
M.R. Onions F.C. Race Night – March 25th
Second Annual Bacardi National Par-3 Championship – March 25th to 27th
Super Saturdays at Masterworks: Under the Big Top – March 26th
Ross Blackie Talbot Charity Classic – April 1st to 8th
Masterworks Exhibit: Otto Trott – April 1st to 27th
73nd Annual Bermuda Exhibition – April 14th to 16th
Renegades RFC Booze Cruise – April 21st
Fight Night XIII: The Battle of Bermuda – April 23rd
Some Enchanted Evening 2011 – April 30th
Super Saturdays at Masterworks: Out of This World – April 30th
Mariners RFC Annual Mad Hatter’s Ball – April 16th 30th
Sunsmart Accreditation Programme – May 1st to June 30th
Osteoporosis – Are you at Risk? – May 5th
Catlin End-to-End 2011 – May 7th
Masterworks Exhibit: Jana Matusz – May 12th
Tag Days 2011 – June 17th and 18th
Ovarian Cancer – September 8th
15th Annual Breast Cancer Fun Walk – October 12th
Taking Care of the Caregiver – December 8th
Reasons Why I Love the Internet #857: Reading the reviews on this will keep you amused for ages. Is it wrong that I kinda want a pair?:
MONKEY NEWS: This is one of the creepiest headlines I have ever seen:
Enjoy the rest of the week!