March 31st, 2011
Last chance to make your mark on March – we’re a quarter of the way through 2011 already! Try and do something memorable today!
- Another old favourite is back for the summer as Fairmont Hamilton Princess Happy Hour restarts tomorrow featuring live music courtesy of Mohawk Radio!
- Tomorrow also marks the return of Will Black’s regular live performances to Hog Penny from 10pm. During showtime, there will be happy hour prices on Beck’s and Dos Equis – here’s the link to the event on Facebook.
- Next Saturday, April 9th, Bermuda Folk Club presents Blues Night at Spanish Point Boat Club from 8pm. This will feature special guest artist Alice Stuart, a Grammy and Handy nominated singer/songwriter. Tickets are $10 or $5 for members. Here’s the link to the Facebook event
- Fan of smooth jazz and reggae? The Bermuda Breeze Concert Series 2011 features internationally acclaimed artists in those genres in a series of monthly Saturday night concerts, timed to coincide with Bermuda holidays. The first show, at the Fairmont Hamilton Princess on Saturday, April 23rd, will feature jazz vocalist, Theresa Hightower from Atlanta, along with local artists Lovette Smith and Ensemble, Tempo with Randy Lambert and vocalists from Marcelle Clemons School of Music. Doors open at 8pm, the local show begins at 8.30pm and Theresa Hightower begins at 9.30pm. Tickets are $75 and available from www.bdatix.com.
- Harbour Nights restarts on Wednesday, April 27th in the usual time-slot from 7pm until 10pm and will continue up until September 7th. Most of you are very familiar with this but for any newbies or tourists reading this, every Wednesday of the summer months, Front Street is closed to traffic and instead is filled with vendor stalls with various arts and crafts, a food court, late night shopping until 9pm and live music and entertainment. **UPDATE: The Harbour Nights run has been shortened for 2011 and will now be from May 18th to August 31st.**
- For those of you that love olde worlde-style pomp and circumstance, take note – the Annual Peppercorn Ceremony for this year will be on Wednesday, April 27th. During this ceremony, the Governor will will receive the Annual Rent of one Peppercorn for the State House from the Master of Lodge St. George and then will hold a meeting of the Governor’s Council, attended by the Premier and Cabinet Ministers. This quaint tradition includes lots of period costumes, military uniforms, a parade and a horse-drawn carriage, all helping transport you back to 1815 when the ceremony first started. Apparently, the Governor will arrive at King’s Square at 10.58am…wow…that’s pretty precise!! For more details, please see the official announcement here.
- A few of you have asked me about any Royal Wedding celebrations happening on Friday, April 29th – I haven’t heard of any street parties yet (many of you seem keen for these) but there is a special event in the Harbour Room at the Fairmont Hamilton Princess from 3pm! Project Action will be hosting a Bermuda Reception High Tea to celebrate the marriage of Prince William and Kate Middleton. In addition to the Fairmont High Tea, the event will also include viewing the wedding on large screen projections, customised gifts, Best Hat/Best Dressed awards, and a silent auction of royal-related items. Ticket prices are $500 for Gold Patrons (includes 3 tickets in VIP seating in front section, special Invitation and wedding gift for each attendee, acknowledgment in newspaper thank you advertisement ), $250 for Silver Patrons (includes 2 tickets in table seating, special Invitation and wedding gift for each attendee, acknowledgment in newspaper thank you advertisement, $100 for Bronze Patrons (includes a ticket in table seating, special Invitation, acknowledgment in newspaper thank you advertisement), $50 for Welcomed Guests (includes ticket for open seating and special Invitation) and $35 for Students up to 16 (includes ticket for open seating and special Invitation). Tickets are available from www.bdatix.com and all proceeds go to Project Action, which is a free transportation service for seniors and the physically challenged. Here’s the flyer!
- Back in Bermuda for two nights only, variety performer Jimmy Keys, with opening act Tony & Tony, will perform at the Fairmont Hamilton Princess on Friday, May 6th and Saturday, May 7th at 8pm. This is being billed as a high energy variety show packed with comedy, visual musical impressions and favorite Broadway songs, wrapped around some of the most exciting piano playing that you will ever witness. Tickets are $75 and available from www.bdatix.com. This event is in support of the Bermuda Hockey Federation – here’s the flyer!
- The first Miss Bermuda Pageant in over 10 years will take place at Fairmont Southampton’s Mid-Ocean Amphitheatre on Sunday, June 12th. The lucky lady who is crowned Miss Bermuda will also be eligible to represent Bermuda in the Miss World Pageant. Tickets are priced between $65 and $125 and go on sale today at www.bdatix.com. Full details are available at the event’s website at www.missbermuda.bm.
- Beluga Bar in Washington Mall have released their new menu – here’s the lunch menu and here’s the dinner menu!
Quick Recap of Upcoming Bermuda Events
Click on the event name to be taken to the original post with full details. No link means that the details are in this current post. For a handy Calendar view, click here to go to the Bermuda Calendar section:
Ross Blackie Talbot Charity Classic – April 1st to 8th
Masterworks Exhibit: Otto Trott – April 1st to 27th
BEPRO Neon Night Golfing – April 1st
Blackbeard’s Hideout reopens – April 1st
Ocean Club reopens – April 1st
Fairmont Hamilton Princess Happy Hour restarts – April 1st
Return of Will Black to Hog Penny – April 1st
12th Annual Caribbean Conference on Sustainable Tourism Development (STC-12) – April 3rd to 6th
Meet the Artist with William Collieson – April 6th
Bermuda Open 2011 Indoor Volleyball Tournament – April 7th to 9th
Argus Health Fair – April 7th
Bermuda Folk Club Blues Night – April 9th
Ciné Club: Taxi 3 – April 12th
73nd Annual Bermuda Exhibition – April 14th to 16th
Franklin Hill Perrell Lecture at BNG – April 14th
Amnesty International Bermuda: John Teller Lecture – April 20th
Renegades RFC Booze Cruise – April 21st
Dr. Erica James Lecture at BNG – April 21st
Fight Night XIII: The Battle of Bermuda – April 23rd
Bermuda Breeze Concert Series (Theresa Hightower) – April 23rd
Claire gets to eat chocolate – April 24th
Harbour Nights restarts – April 27th May 18th
Annual Peppercorn Ceremony – April 27th
Bermuda Royal Wedding Reception High Tea – April 29th
Some Enchanted Evening 2011 – April 30th
Super Saturdays at Masterworks: Out of This World – April 30th
Mariners RFC Annual Mad Hatter’s Ball – April 30th
Sunsmart Accreditation Programme – May 1st to June 30th
Osteoporosis – Are you at Risk? – May 5th
Jimmy Keys Show – May 6th and 7th
Catlin End-to-End 2011 – May 7th
Masterworks Exhibit: Jana Matusz – May 12th
Miss Bermuda Pageant – June 12th
Tag Days 2011 – June 17th and 18th
Summer Music Camp – July 18th to 22nd
Ovarian Cancer – September 8th
15th Annual Breast Cancer Fun Walk – October 12th
Taking Care of the Caregiver – December 8th
This is an oldie but still makes me giggle like a three-year old:
MONKEY NEWS: Best. Hospital. EVER!!
Chin up – one more sleep until the weekend!