March 9th, 2011
- Gateway Systems Ltd Software trainer, Patricia Blackman will conduct two seminars today during the International Women’s Conference. These will be at Charities House, 25 Point Finger Road, Paget (phone 295-3882). The first one will be from 11.30am until 1pm and will be geared towards parents. In Stranger Danger: Is your child meeting strangers online?, Patricia will share valuable information on Cyberspace dangers and answer questions from the audience. The second seminar will be from 1.30pm until 3pm and is geared toward women interested in utilising technology to improve or advance their job skills. In Learn to Earn: Work harder on yourself, than on your job!, Patricia will explore mechanisms we can utilise to earn more in the workforce. This is a possible series which examines the earning potentials we can achieve with up to date training in technology. She will also discuss the necessity for self-discipline, determination, and flexible, which can help us to stay focused. This event is sponsored by the Deparment of Human Affairs, Melbourne House.
- P.A.L.S. Cancer Care in Bermuda presents Exploring America’s National Parks of the West tonight at 8pm at Mount St. Agnes Auditorium. This is the 25th Audio Visual Slide Presentation to benefit P.A.L.S. by Ann Smith Gordon MBE JP. Tickets are $15 and available from P.A.L.S. volunteers or the P.A.L.S. office at 18 Point Finger Road. Here’s the flyer!
- Tickets for the Katkids Event at BUEI on Friday are now available online at www.premierticketsglobal.com. I updated the original post here.
- The next Bermuda Docs Weekend Film Series will be this Sunday, March 13th at the Tradewinds Auditorium, BUEI. The 3pm showing is the documentary The Rainbow Warriors of Waiheke Island and the 5pm showing is the French film Queen to Play. Tickets are $15 and available at Oceans Gift Shop or by phoning 297-7314. Here’s the flyer!
- Local artist Rebecca Hanson will be presenting her new show, sponsored by Bacardi and Zobec Management, at Rock Island. The opening night is Friday, March 18th from 6pm until 7.30pm. The show is entitled Tempest since Rebecca has been studying the storm patterns of Emily, Igor and Fabien and searched for the beauty within them. There are also some of the anarchist theme (which featured in her last show) and a few pictures that depict the calm after the storm. Finally, she will be putting a painting of a sunflower in a silent auction, half the proceeds of which will go to the Sunshine League. You can view examples of Rebecca’s work at her website at www.rebeccahansonart.com. Here’s the flyer!
- Friday, March 18th will be a Happy Hour with a difference at Music Nite at the BNG featuring Joy T. Barnum & The Channel. From 5.30pm until 7pm, this will include a complimentary drink and wine-tasting sponsored by Gosling’s. Tickets are $10 and available from www.premierticketsglobal.com.
- The Bermuda National Gallery (BNG) have kindly sent me their Calendar of Events. First up are free tours each Thursday at 10.30am led by senior docent Nea Willits and every Saturday morning at 10.30am led by a student docent from the BNG’s Student Docent Programme, sponsored by Catlin. Wednesdays, March 9th and April 6th are Meet the Artist informal discussion sessions with William Collieson at 12.30pm. Wednesdays, March 23rd and April 20th, BNG Curator Sophie Cressall invites you for a tour of the current exhibitions from 12.30pm. Buzz Coffee at the BNG every Friday from 8.30am until 10am in the months of March, April and May, gives you the opportunity to enjoy a complimentary cup of coffee and a breakfast nibble and take in the exhibitions prior to making your way to work.
- BNG also offer a weekly film series. The film topics seek to establish context and meaning making of the artworks featured in the current exhibitions. All films start at 12.30pm and are free for members and $5 for non-members. Wednesday, March 23rd is Marcel Duchamp, Iconoclaste et Inoxydable (Iconoclast and Stainless). Wednesday, March 30th is The Mystery of Picasso (75 mins). Wednesday, April 13th is Jasper Johns: Take An Object (30 mins). Wednesday, April 27th is Robert Rauschenberg: Inventive Genius (60 mins). Wednesday, May 4th is Art of the Western World, Volume 1: The Classical Ideal; A White Garment of Churches- Romanesque and Gothic (114 mins). Wednesday, May 11th is Art of the Western World, Volume 2: The Early Renaissance; The High Renaissance; Realms of Light- The Baroque (171 mins). Wednesday, May 18th is Art of the Western World, volume 3: An Age of Reason, An Age of Passion; A French View- Impressionism and Post-Impressionism (114 mins). Wednesday, May 25th is Art of the Western World, volume 4: Into the Twentieth Century; In Our Own Time (114 mins). Full details of the films and other events can be found in the flyer here.
- A few lectures coming up from BNG. On Thursday, April 14th, they will be presenting a lecture by Franklin Hill Perrell, former Chief Curator of Nassau County Museum Art (curator of over 50 major exhibitions), now historic preservationist, Executive Director of the Roslyn Landmark Society. The topic still has to be arranged but the reception starts at 5.30pm with the lecture beginning at 6pm. Tickets are $10 for members and $20 for non-members. On Thursday, April 21st, BNG will be presenting a lecture by Dr. Erica James, founding Director/ Chief Curator, the National Art Gallery of Bahamas. Again, the topic still has to be arranged but the reception starts at 5.30pm with the lecture beginning at 6pm. Tickets are $10 for members and $20 for non-members.
- Newstead Spa and Salon have released some new offers for March – here’s the flyer with details!
Quick Recap of Upcoming Bermuda Events
Click on the event name to be taken to the original post with full details. No link means that the details are in this current post. For a Calendar view, see here:
BMDS Fawlty Towers – February 28th to March 12th
Stranger Danger: Is your child meeting strangers online? – March 9th
Learn to Earn: Work harder on yourself, than on your job! – March 9th
P.A.L.S. presents Exploring America’s National Parks of the West – March 9th
Meet the Artist with William Collieson – March 9th
Masterworks Exhibit: Marion Watlington – March 4th to 16th
KatKids Event at BUEI – March 11th
Kids Music Fest – March 12th
3rd Annual Cancer Forum – March 12th
Latin-Rumbar Winter Carnival Festival – March 12th
BCB Women’s National Team Open Trials – March 13th
Bermuda Docs Weekend Series (The Rainbow Warriors of Waiheke Island/Queen to Play) – March 13th
BEPRO: The Whole and Balanced Leadership Workshop – March 15th
Hasty Pudding Theatricals HPT163 – Kashmir If You Can – March 17th to 19th
Masterworks Exhibit: Patrick & Sarah Vandenberg – March 18th
Rebecca Hanson – Tempest Exhibition Opening Night – March 18th
Music Nite at the BNG – March 18th
Bermuda International Film Festival (BIFF) – March 18th to 24th
A Night Out with BOND: No Strings Attached – March 19th
Bermuda Cancer and Health Centre Open House – March 19th
BHS 3rd Annual Teachers’ Association Quiz – March 19th
Under the Moongate Supper Club at Waterlot – March 19th
Full Moon Costume Party – March 19th
World Dancing Championships – March 19th and 20th
G&S Show: Animal Farm – March 23rd to March 26th
BNG Curator Sophie Cressall Tour of Current Exhibitions – March 23rd
M.R. Onions F.C. Race Night – March 25th
The Great Wine War – March 25th
Second Annual Bacardi National Par-3 Championship – March 25th to 27th
Super Saturdays at Masterworks: Under the Big Top – March 26th
Ross Blackie Talbot Charity Classic – April 1st to 8th
Masterworks Exhibit: Otto Trott – April 1st to 27th
Meet the Artist with William Collieson – April 6th
73nd Annual Bermuda Exhibition – April 14th to 16th
Franklin Hill Perrell Lecture at BNG – April 14th
BNG Curator Sophie Cressall Tour of Current Exhibitions – April 20th
Renegades RFC Booze Cruise – April 21st
Dr. Erica James Lecture at BNG – April 21st
Fight Night XIII: The Battle of Bermuda – April 23rd
Some Enchanted Evening 2011 – April 30th
Super Saturdays at Masterworks: Out of This World – April 30th
Mariners RFC Annual Mad Hatter’s Ball – April 16th 30th
Sunsmart Accreditation Programme – May 1st to June 30th
Osteoporosis – Are you at Risk? – May 5th
Catlin End-to-End 2011 – May 7th
Masterworks Exhibit: Jana Matusz – May 12th
Tag Days 2011 – June 17th and 18th
Ovarian Cancer – September 8th
15th Annual Breast Cancer Fun Walk – October 12th
Taking Care of the Caregiver – December 8th
Enjoy the rest of the week!