April 11th, 2011
- Snorkel Park Beach reopens tonight with an Island Beach BBQ Buffet at Hammerhead’s Bar & Grill from 6.30pm until 8pm. The cost is $58 for adults, $38 for children 12 and under, and free for under 5s and includes a free rum swizzle on entry. Entertainment includes steel pan drumming and percussion, conga lines, dancing games and MC Super Dave. Admission after 8pm for the entertainment only is $20 and also includes a complimentary rum swizzle. From 10pm until 3am is the return of the Top 40 Open Air Night club featuring nightly drink specials, music video DJ, guest DJs and a light show. Admission is $10 for this (free if you attended the BBQ Buffet) and it’s for over-18s only. Here’s the Facebook event link for the Island Beach BBQ Buffet for the Facebook event link for the Top 40 Open Air Night Club. For reservations call 234-6989.
- April is Autism Awareness Month and Bermuda Autism Support and Education (BASE) are bringing leading autism teacher and advocate Paula Kluth to Bermuda. The interactive workshop session, You’re Going To Love This Kid: Educating Students with Autism in Inclusive Schools will be at Mount Saint Agnes Academy between 9am and 4pm on Saturday, April 16th and participants will learn practical ways of supporting students with autism spectrum labels and other disabilities within a general education classroom. Tickets are $35, including lunch, and are available from www.bdatix.com. The first 35 people to register will receive a free copy of Paula Kluth’s book, You’re Going to Love this Kid. More details on topics to be addressed are available at www.bermudaautism.org/events
- One for the diary, the next meeting of the Under the Moongate Supper Club will be on Wednesday, April 27th at Coral Beach & Tennis Club. Menu and pricing to follow very shortly!
- Any parents, teachers, coaches, therapists, caregivers and anyone directly involved with a child or student who requires special care could be interested in the Special Needs Program Fair on Thursday, April 28th from 5pm until 8pm at the Fairmont Hamilton Princess Hotel. Representatives of Special Needs schools and programmes will be available to share their expertise with you on children with Special Needs, which includes those with learning differences, attention deficits, Autism, emotional difficulties,developmental delays, physically challenges, addiction and other psychiatric issues. There will also be details on what treatment options are available outside of Bermuda. This is open to the public and there is no entry fee. For more details, contact Tory Dodge, Educational Consultant at Schools to Know on 747-1154 or see the website at www.schoolstoknow.com. Here’s the flyer!
- To support the efforts of Bermuda’s Young People as they prepare to travel to Germany to meet their Expedition requirement for their Duke of Edinburgh’s Gold Award, there will be a Fundraising Pot Luck dinner on Friday, April 29th. This will be at Cleveland County Cricket Club from 5pm until 8pm. The menu will include BBQ or Fried Chicken Or Fried Fish, as well as Macaroni ‘n Cheese, rice, coleslaw and a roll. Tickets are $15 and can be purchased from Jovanna on 500-5523 or Sonia on 705-4107. Here’s the flyer
and here’s the link to the event on Facebook.
- BIFF are keeping themselves busy, even though the Film Fesival is over for another year! As well as the upcoming BIFFlix April Screening, they are also hosting The World of Wine fundraiser on April 30th from 6pm until 8pm at the Royal Hamilton Amateur Dinghy Club on Pomander Road, Paget. Sponsored by Burrows Lightbourn Ltd, this event will give tasters the opportunity to move from booth to booth at their own pace, sampling 50 wines from 12 countries that range in quality from Saturday night fare to special occasions. The tasting will be accompanied by an assortment of cheese and a silent auction. Tickets are $75 per person and are available from Burrows Lightbourn (Harbour Road, Paget or on East Broadway) or from Gay Robinson at email@example.com or 232-1184. Early bird tickets purchased by 15 April allow you early entry at 5.30pm. Here’s the flyer and here’s the link to the event on Facebook.
- The Bermuda Volleyball Association has announced that the 19th Annual Dasani Corporate Volleyball Tournament will be held on Satuday, April 30th from 9.30am until 3.30pm. This is a 6-a-side co-ed tournament, also open to non-BVA members and is intended to introduce new people to the sport of volleyball as well as provide groups/companies with the opportunity to participate in a community event together. Registration closes on April 27th and you don’t have to be a corporation to register a team, all groups and organisations are welcome (cost is $175 per team), and registering a team in the Youth division (new this year) costs even less at $100 per team. For more details, including sponsorship opportunities, see their website at www.bermudavolleyball.bm/?page_id=1518 – here’s the flyer!
- Bermuda International Invitational Race Week (www.biirw.bm), a major fixture on the international yachting calendar, will be in Bermuda from Sunday, May 1st until Friday, May 6th and, as part of the celebrations, the Royal Bermuda Yacht Club present Rock on the Dock on Tuesday, May 3rd from 6.30pm. There will be a cash bar and music by Outta Bounds and there is the option of a buffet dinner until 9pm (buffet costs $35 and includes a Bacardi Añejo Mojito) – here’s the flyer!
- As you all know, Lemon Tree Happy Hour is back for the summer but this year, they are offering a little bit extra so you might want to get there early. Each week, there will be a different promotion – could be free samples or drinks specials, it will vary from week to week. To be added to their mailing list with more details, just email firstname.lastname@example.org and request to be added.
Quick Recap of Upcoming Bermuda Events
Click on the event name to be taken to the original post with full details. No link means that the details are in this current post. For a handy Calendar view, click here to go to the Bermuda Calendar section:
Masterworks Exhibit: Otto Trott – April 1st to 27th
Snorkel Park Beach reopens – April 11th
Ciné Club: Taxi 3 – April 12th
73nd Annual Bermuda Exhibition – April 14th to 16th
Franklin Hill Perrell Lecture at BNG – April 14th
You’re Going To Love This Kid: Educating Students with Autism in Inclusive Schools – April 16th
Amnesty International Bermuda: John Teller Lecture – April 20th
BIFFlix Monthly Film Series: The Housemaid – April 20th
Renegades RFC Booze Cruise – April 21st
Dr. Erica James Lecture at BNG – April 21st
Fight Night XIII: The Battle of Bermuda – April 23rd
Bermuda Breeze Concert Series (Theresa Hightower) – April 23rd
TEDx Bermuda – April 23rd
Claire gets to eat chocolate – April 24th
Harbour Nights restarts – April 27th May 18th
Annual Peppercorn Ceremony – April 27th
Under the Moongate Supper Club at Coral Beach & Tennis Club – April 27th
Special Needs Program Fair – April 28th
Bermuda Royal Wedding Reception High Tea – April 29th
Duke of Edinburgh Award Pot Luck Fundraiser – April 29th
Some Enchanted Evening 2011 – April 30th
Super Saturdays at Masterworks: Out of This World – April 30th
Mariners RFC Annual Mad Hatter’s Ball – April 30th
BJSL Polynesian Triangle Gala Dinner – April 30th
BIFF: The World of Wine – April 30th
19th Annual Dasani Corporate Volleyball Tournament – April 30th
Sunsmart Accreditation Programme – May 1st to June 30th
Bermuda International Invitational Race Week – May 1st to 6th
RBYC Rock on the Dock – May 3rd
Osteoporosis – Are you at Risk? – May 5th
Jimmy Keys Show – May 6th and 7th
Catlin End-to-End 2011 – May 7th
Masterworks Exhibit: Jana Matusz – May 12th
Miss Bermuda Pageant – June 12th
Tag Days 2011 – June 17th and 18th
Summer Music Camp – July 18th to 22nd
Ovarian Cancer – September 8th
15th Annual Breast Cancer Fun Walk – October 12th
Taking Care of the Caregiver – December 8th