April 13th, 2011
Whew, Wednesday already!
So, according to some of our cruise ship visitors and their leaflets, the end of the world is nigh – hmmm…maybe check out Matthew 24:36 before quitting your jobs kids (wow, I just referenced a Bible passage, my grandad would be so proud)! Ah well, to be on the safe side, maybe it’s best to all be nice to each other and have as much fun as possible before time runs out, eh? I think that might be a better use of your time than jumping on a cruise ship and handing out leaflets, but that’s just me… Anyway, here are some upcoming Bermuda events to keep you busy between now and the End of Days:
- Bermuda Cancer and Health Centre present a free public talk on Kidney Failure tomorrow, Thursday, April 14th at BUEI where you can learn more about risks, prevention, and the unprecedented rate of kidney failure in Bermuda. Not the most cheerful of topics but when you learn that uncontrolled High Blood Pressure and Diabetes can cause irreversible kidney damage, it’s worthwhile finding out more! From 5pm until 6.20pm, there will be information tables and free health screenings. The presentation starts at 6.30pm and Guest Speakers are Dr. Beresford Swan, Dr. Lynette Thomas and Dr. Wendy Outerbridge Admission is free but you’ll need to RSVP to Rhonda Smith-Simmons, Education Officer on 236-0949 or by e-mail to email@example.com. Here’s the flyer!
- To add further to the joyfulness of Easter (yes, I am counting the days until I can have chocolate again), Multi Entertainment present LMAO Easter Edition Comedy Show in the Mid-Ocean Ampitheatre at the Fairmont Southampton on Saturday, April 23rd. The show will be hosted by local comedian Jah and will feature international comedians David ‘Sauce’ Foster, Joe Blount and Jay Phillips. DJ Chubb will be keepin the vibes tight during the early entrace and holdin it down between acts. Doors open at 7.30pm, showtime is 8.30pm and tickets are $40 for MEO members, $50 regular, $65 for VIPs and more at the door. For information about becoming a MEO member, email firstname.lastname@example.org. VIPs receive raffle entry, gift bag, priority seating before the show starts and free entry to the TWO28 Afterparty at the Wine Cellar with Mikie B and DJ Chubb. Regular ticket holders will pay $5 for the afterparty, and general entry is $20 (at the door only). Tickets for the LMAO Comedy show are available now at Qui-Ja Fabrics, Kit-N-Caboodle and Hunt’s Food & Supplies. Here’s the flyer for LMAO and here’s the flyer for the Afterparty!
- Another event at BUEI is the Sea Shepherd Celebrity Fundraiser Premier Screening of Confessions of an Eco-Terrorist. This is an opportunity to meet Captain Paul Watson and filmmaker Peter Brown from Discovery Channels’ Whale Wars and see their latest film as the Sea Shepherd works to conserve marine life. There are two screenings on Monday, April 25th at 6pm and 8 pm and is suitable for over 18s only. Ticket are $20 and available from www.bdatix.com.
- Another event for Satuday, April 30th (you definitely will not be bored on this night!), Docksiders are having a Dirty Money party from 9pm until 3am. Don’t know what a dirty money party is? Well, neither did I but apparently guys pay $20 at the door and receive $20 in Dockies dirty money. It’s then up to the girls to earn the dirty money by any means deemed fit(!) and the girl who has the most dirty at 2am will receive cash and other prizes. Additional entertainment will be provided by DJs Chubb and Smokey and there will be $5 drinks specials on Kettle One and Corona all night and there will be beer pong and flip cup available. Entry is free for girls before midnight – here’s the flyer!
- The 2nd Annual Capital G Private Wealth Conference is the benchmark industry event for the wealth segment in Bermuda and this year will be at Tucker’s Point Hotel & Spa on Wednesday, May 4th. The Conference has been designed to present sound, expert advice delivered by a universe of well respected industry professionals on the current issues that are important to high net worth individuals. Attendees will benefit from real world scenarios used to illustrate issues of relevance and strategies for effective management. The Keynote Speaker is Steve Levitt, co-author of bestsellers Freakonomics and Superfreakonomics. The conference costs $250 per delegate and the complete conference agenda can be found at www.capitalgprivatebanking.bm/privatewealthconference. Here’s the flyer!
- As you may have seen in the news, the Harbour Nights run has been shortened for 2011 and will now be from May 18th to August 31st. I updated the previous post here.
- The 8th Annual Bishop’s Luncheon for Catholic members of the Bermuda business community and their invited guests will be held on Friday, June 3rd in the Gazebo Room at the Fairmont Hamilton Princess Hotel from 12 noon. The Keynote Speaker is Michael S. McGavick, Chief Executive Officer of XL Group plc. A minimum donation of $75 is required and tickets are available from www.bdatix.com.
- A new Happy Hour is coming to town! Bersalon and Bacardi are teaming up to give us Happy Hours Wednesdays from 4pm until 8pm. As well as getting to sample cocktails during your spa or salon treatment, you will also be given a recipe card to take away with you so that you can recreate it at home – here’s the flyer!
- Good news for anyone who thinks we don’t have enough take-out options – Lemon Tree Cafe have announced that starting tonight, they are introducing Take-Out Dinner Nights every Wednesday and Thursday from 4pm until 7pm. Every Wednesday they will have a curry dish and every Thursdays, they’ll have a pasta dish.
Quick Recap of Upcoming Bermuda Events
Click on the event name to be taken to the original post with full details. No link means that the details are in this current post. For a handy Calendar view, click here to go to the Bermuda Calendar section:
Masterworks Exhibit: Otto Trott – April 1st to 27th
73nd Annual Bermuda Exhibition – April 14th to 16th
Franklin Hill Perrell Lecture at BNG – April 14th
Kidney Failure Public Presentation – April 14th
Amnesty International Bermuda: John Teller Lecture – April 20th
BIFFlix Monthly Film Series: The Housemaid – April 20th
Renegades RFC Booze Cruise – April 21st
Dr. Erica James Lecture at BNG – April 21st
Fight Night XIII: The Battle of Bermuda – April 23rd
Bermuda Breeze Concert Series (Theresa Hightower) – April 23rd
TEDx Bermuda – April 23rd
LMAO Easter Edition Comedy Show – April 23rd
TWO28 Afterparty – April 23rd
Claire gets to eat chocolate – April 24th
Confessions of an Eco-Terrorist – April 25th
Annual Peppercorn Ceremony – April 27th
Special Needs Program Fair – April 28th
Bermuda Royal Wedding Reception High Tea – April 29th
Duke of Edinburgh Award Pot Luck Fundraiser – April 29th
Some Enchanted Evening 2011 – April 30th
Super Saturdays at Masterworks: Out of This World – April 30th
Mariners RFC Annual Mad Hatter’s Ball – April 30th
BJSL Polynesian Triangle Gala Dinner – April 30th
BIFF: The World of Wine – April 30th
19th Annual Dasani Corporate Volleyball Tournament – April 30th
Docksiders Dirty Money Party – April 30th
Sunsmart Accreditation Programme – May 1st to June 30th
Bermuda International Invitational Race Week – May 1st to 6th
RBYC Rock on the Dock – May 3rd
2nd Annual Capital G Private Wealth Conference – May 4th
Osteoporosis – Are you at Risk? – May 5th
Jimmy Keys Show – May 6th and 7th
Catlin End-to-End 2011 – May 7th
Masterworks Exhibit: Jana Matusz – May 12th
Harbour Nights restarts – May 18th
8th Annual Bishop’s Luncheon – June 3rd
Miss Bermuda Pageant – June 12th
Tag Days 2011 – June 17th and 18th
Summer Music Camp – July 18th to 22nd
Ovarian Cancer – September 8th
15th Annual Breast Cancer Fun Walk – October 12th
Taking Care of the Caregiver – December 8th
Enjoy the rest of the week!