April 15th, 2011
Happy Friday Kids!
Yup, it's another three-post week! Thanks all for the lovely messages after the Bermuda Sun article about NTDIB on Wednesday. And yes, I promise to brush my hair next time my photo is going to appear in a national newspaper!
- Elbow Beach invite you to an Open House to celebrate the Desmond Fountain Art Gallery Grand Opening Weekend. The gallery will be open from 10am until 6pm tomorrow, from 2pm until 6pm on Sunday and there will be a variety of art from international and local artists for sale. Part proceeds of sales benefit the Coalition for the Protection of Children. Here's the flyer with details.
- Bermuda National Trust's legendary Annual Palm Sunday Walk will be this Sunday, April 17th. This is a walking tour through Southampton and Sandys and will start at White Hill Field at 1.15pm. The distance is around 7 miles (2.5 hours) and so is not suitable for strollers or dogs. Cold refreshments, donated by John Barritt & Son Ltd. will be served at a rest area and at the finish – you just have to bring your own drink container. For more information call Conservation Officer, David Outerbridge at 236 6483 ext. 224 or email email@example.com.
- The newly renamed Rosewood Tucker's Point and the Bermuda Sloop Foundation invite you to a fundraiser to benefit the youth programmes of STV Spirit of Bermuda. Castle Harbour: What place is this? will give you the opportunity to learn the geology, history and lore of Castle Harbour, along with dinner, dancing and a silent auction of art and of an Easter morning sail on Spirit of Bermuda. The event will be on Saturday, April 23rd in the Rosewood Tucker's Point Camden Ballroom with cocktails at 7pm and dinner at 7.45pm. Guests will include Dr. Edward Harris, Executive Director at the National Museum of Bermuda and Dr. Philippe Rouja, Bermuda'a Custodian of Historic Wrecks. This is preceded by an Open House on the Spirit of Bermuda from 5.30pm until 7pm at the dock so make sure you bring appropriate shoes! Hotel room specials are available and dress code is cocktail attire. Tickets are $130 and are available from www.bdatix.com. Here's the flyer!
- Another Royal Wedding celebration, this time at Inner Sanctum. On Friday, April 29th, there will be classic British refreshments and live streaming footage of the day's events from 8am until 8pm. To book your appointment, call 296-9009 for the spa or 295-4808 for the salon – here's the flyer!
- From Friday, April 29th to Sunday, May 1st the Bermuda Documentary Film Festival (Bermuda Docs) will be held in the Tradewinds Auditorium of the BUEI. This year's selection features the world premiere of a Bermudian documentary film (Poverty in Paradise from Lucinda Spurling), the international premiere of an award-winning film by a Bermuda-born documentarian (Shed Your Tears and Walk Away from Jez Lewis), two films from the Shortlist for the Documentary Academy Award, as well as audience choice award winners and jury award winners from the world festival circuit. Tickets are $15 per film and available online from www.bdatix.com or from All Wrapped Up Home, The Money Shop or Fabulous Fashions. For more information, call 232-2255, email firstname.lastname@example.org or see the website at www.bermudadocs.com. Here's the full programme and here's the poster!
- All you yoga addicts out there will be happy to hear that Cambridge Beaches are hosting a Shamanic Yoga & Ecstatic Dance Playshop on Sunday, May 15th. Dr. Bianca Baudendistel will be helping you get in touch with your spiritual side through dance, yoga, chakra readings, meditation, dreamcatcher-making and more from 8.45am until 6.30pm. The cost/Love Donation is $195 and includes workshop book, crystal beads and light refreshments. For more details contact Bianca at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. Here's the programme and here's the flyer!
- After the sellout success of their stage adaptation of Fawlty Towers, the Bermuda Musical and Dramatic Society (BMDS) are back with a new show, A Little Murder Never Hurt Anybody, a homage to the screwball comedies of the 30s and 40s. The show will run from Monday, May 16th until Saturday, May 21st and will start at 8pm. Tickets are $25 and can be purchased by calling the box office on 292-0848, by visiting the Daylesford Theatre’s box office in person or by buying online at www.bmds.bm. Poster to follow!
- A selection of concerts, masterclasses and workshops, the 8th Annual Bermuda Guitar Festival will be at at St. Andrew's Church on Church Street from Thursday, May 26th until Sunday, May 29th. The Thursday concert is at 7.30pm and will be mixed ensemble and solo music from Spain and South America featuring Louis Southwood (guitar), Stephen Crawford (guitar) and David France (violin). The Saturday night concert is also at 7.30pm and will feature Classical Guitarist Adam Brown in Concert with both ancient and modern music. Sunday night will be the Student Gala Concert at 5pm. The Student Gala concert is free and all other tickets are $30 and available on www.bdatix.com.
- So, as most of you will know, kite-flying on Good Friday is an important Bermuda tradition. And after good Friday, you have to put your kites away for a whole year? Not this year! The 1st Annual Colour the Sky Event at Fort St. Catherine will take place just a couple of months later on Monday, June 20th from 11am until 6pm. This is still in the planning stage however they are expecting to have kite flying, kite flying demonstrations, djs, live entertainers, vendors, radio involvement, a bubble pool for kids and much more! Here's the link to the Facebook event and here's the flyer!
- The 28th PGA Grand Slam of Golf this year will take place at the Port Royal Golf Course from Monday, October 17th until Wednesday, October 19th. This is a season-ending showcase of the Major Champions from 2011 where the players vie for the title “Champion of Champions” and a 1.35 million-dollar purse. Participants this year will include the British Open winner Darren Clarke, 2011 Masters winner Charl Swartzel, the 2011 US Open winner Rory McIlroy and the PGA Championship winner Keegan Bradley. For more details, please see their website at www.pga.com/grandslam/2011/.
- Designed to focus on the restoration of the brokenness in the lives of women, the Bermuda Interdenominational Women’s Conference will take place from Thursday, October 20th until Saturday, October 22nd at the New Creation Worship Center. In the run up to the conference itself, they will be hosting some fundraisers. The first is the Pre-Conference Breakfast at the Willowbank Hotel & Resort on Saturday, May 7th. Doors open at 7.30 am and breakfast is served at 8am. Women of Faith guest speakers are Co-Pastor Maybelle Denwiddie from New Creation Worship Center, Pastor Deborah Evans from First Church of God, Sound View, and Co-Pastor Laquita Landy from Agape Faith Kingdom Ministries. The cost is $45 per person and all proceeds will help offset conference event costs – here's the flyer! In addition, there wil be a Pre-Father’s Day Captain’s Choice Tournament on Saturday, June 11th at Belmont Hills Golf Club. Registration is at 7.30am and first tee-off is 8am. Entry fee is $155 per golfer or $620 for a team of 4 or $145 and $580 if you register by April 22nd. The price includes green fees, golf cart and catered lunch – here's the flyer! **UPDATE: This Tournament has been postponed – details will be provided at a later date. For more details, please contact Minister Avril Hassell on 505-7076/236-0386 or email@example.com or see the website at www.interwomenconference.org.
Quick Recap of Upcoming Bermuda Events
Click on the event name to be taken to the original post with full details. No link means that the details are in this current post. For a handy Calendar view, click here to go to the Bermuda Calendar section:
Masterworks Exhibit: Otto Trott - April 1st to 27th
73nd Annual Bermuda Exhibition - April 14th to 16th
Desmond Fountain Art Gallery Grand Opening Weekend – April 16th and 17th
Bermuda National Trust's Annual Palm Sunday Walk – April 17th
Amnesty International Bermuda: John Teller Lecture - April 20th
BIFFlix Monthly Film Series: The Housemaid - April 20th
Renegades RFC Booze Cruise - April 21st
Dr. Erica James Lecture at BNG - April 21st
Fight Night XIII: The Battle of Bermuda - April 23rd
Bermuda Breeze Concert Series (Theresa Hightower) - April 23rd
TEDx Bermuda - April 23rd
LMAO Easter Edition Comedy Show - April 23rd
TWO28 Afterparty - April 23rd
Castle Harbour: What place is this? – April 23rd
Claire gets to eat chocolate - April 24th
Confessions of an Eco-Terrorist - April 25th
Annual Peppercorn Ceremony - April 27th
Special Needs Program Fair - April 28th
Bermuda Royal Wedding Reception High Tea - April 29th
Duke of Edinburgh Award Pot Luck Fundraiser - April 29th
Inner Sanctum Royal Wedding Celebration – April 29th
Bermuda Docs – April 29th to May 1st
Some Enchanted Evening 2011 - April 30th
Super Saturdays at Masterworks: Out of This World - April 30th
Mariners RFC Annual Mad Hatter's Ball - April 30th
BJSL Polynesian Triangle Gala Dinner - April 30th
BIFF: The World of Wine - April 30th
19th Annual Dasani Corporate Volleyball Tournament - April 30th
Docksiders Dirty Money Party - April 30th
Sunsmart Accreditation Programme - May 1st to June 30th
Bermuda International Invitational Race Week - May 1st to 6th
RBYC Rock on the Dock - May 3rd
Osteoporosis – Are you at Risk? - May 5th
Jimmy Keys Show - May 6th and 7th
Catlin End-to-End 2011 - May 7th
Interdenominational Women’s Pre-Conference Breakfast – May 7th
Masterworks Exhibit: Jana Matusz - May 12th
Shamanic Yoga & Ecstatic Dance Playshop – May 15th
BMDS: A Little Murder Never Hurt Anybody – May 16th to 21st
Harbour Nights restarts - May 18th
8th Annual Bermuda Guitar Festival – May 26th to 29th
8th Annual Bishop’s Luncheon - June 3rd
Pre-Father’s Day Captain’s Choice Tournament – June 11th
Miss Bermuda Pageant - June 12th
Tag Days 2011 - June 17th and 18th
1st Annual Colour the Sky Event – June 20th
Summer Music Camp - July 18th to 22nd
Ovarian Cancer - September 8th
15th Annual Breast Cancer Fun Walk - October 12th
28th PGA Grand Slam of Golf – October 17th to 19th
Bermuda Interdenominational Women’s Conference – October 20th to 22nd
Taking Care of the Caregiver - December 8th
Enjoy the rest of the week!