April 26th, 2011
Morning everyone, me again!
Hope you all had a great Easter weekend. I have made a pretty big dent in all my chocolate goodies, as you can imagine, with the exception of the awesome 2 and a half foot chocolate bunny which I was given as a present. I have named him Bruno and can't quite bear to break into him just yet. Is it weird that I'm getting emotionally-attached to an inanimate object? Actually, don't answer that..
- A sure sign of summer, other than my radioactive sunburn, is when Lemon Tree expand their Happy Hour into Par-la-Ville Park, which is exactly what they are doing on Friday! If that's not enough for you, they will also be having a Svedka Vodka promotion with Vodka Jello Shots from 5pm until 7pm, photos with Bot promo girls from 7pm until 9pm and Svedka Vodka prizes and drink giveaways all night – here's the flyer!
- A few of you have been asking about places that will be showing the Royal Wedding on Friday. Bermuda Bistro at the Beach will be showing it from 9am, and Flanagan's and Outback will be showing it from 1pm. This is in addition to the Project Action High Tea, the Inner Sanctum offer and the Moon After-party, which I mentioned in previous posts.
- Another showing of Poverty in Paradise: The Price We Pay, the documentary directed by award-winning local filmmaker Lucinda Spurling and commissioned by the Coalition for the Protection of Children will be having an extra screening on Wednesday, May 4th. Advance tickets have already sold out for the two screenings of this film at Bermuda Docs so this gives you another opportunity to see it. This will be at Liberty Theatre at 7.30pm. Tickets are $20 and available from www.bdatix.com.
- I am completely gutted that I will be off-island for this but the BNG has partnered with The Gourmet Boutique & Galler Chocolatier and Gosling’s to explore the pairings of certain wines and rum to enhance the flavour of chocolate. The Art of Chocolate Fundraiser will be on Friday, May 13th from 5.30pm until 7pm and all guests receive complimentary tastings and a special gift box of chocolate. The cost is $20 for members and $25 for non-members – contact Lisa at firstname.lastname@example.org for tickets. **UPDATE: This event has now been cancelled.
- Christopher Cozier, Trinidad-based artist, curator, and cultural critic, with an international portfolio will be coming to lecture at Bermuda National Gallery (BNG) on Thursday, May 19th. The topic will be Contemporary Caribbean Art, the reception will begin at 5.30pm, the lecture will begin at 6pm and the cost is $10 for members or $20 for non-members.
- Dr. Dennis Fehr, artist and art educator, has lectured, consulted, taught and researched contemporary art and education internationally. He will be coming to Bermuda National Gallery on Thursday, June 2nd to lecture on the topic of Women’s Identities in Postmodern Visual Culture. The reception will begin at 5.30pm, the lecture will begin at 6pm and the cost is $10 for members or $20 for non-members.
- The 5th Annual Family Centre Golf Tournament will be held on Thursday, June 9th at the Riddell’s Bay Country Club, with a 12.30pm shotgun start for a Captain’s Choice tournament. Box lunches will be provided on carts and soft drinks and bottled water are complimentary on the beverage cart. Golf balls, a high-quality commemorative golf shirt, cap and gift are included for each golfer. Anyone can organize a foursome at $4,000.00 per team. There are prizes for Beat the Pro, Closest to the Pin, Longest Drive and Hole-in-One and teams compete for the coveted first place Jeremy Johnson designed cedar trophy as well as 2nd and 3rd prizes. A prize-giving reception and barbecue supper conclude the event. The cost is $4000 per team of 4 – to register, contact Starla Williams at email@example.com or on 292-9741 ext. 108 or 335-4351. Here's the flyer and here's the application form.
- More golfing fun, the Bermuda Open Stroke Play Championship will be played at the Port Royal Golf Course from Thursday, June 16th until Saturday, June 19th. This event will combine all of Bermuda’s stroke play championships – there is a professional division, men and ladies amateur division and a senior men and ladies division. Each division will crown a champion. The closing date for application forms is June 10th and you can obtain the form from www.bermudagolfassociation.net by contacting the Bermuda Golf Association office at 295-9972 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Here's the flyer!
Quick Recap of Upcoming Bermuda Events
Click on the event name to be taken to the original post with full details. No link means that the details are in this current post. For a handy Calendar view, click here to go to the Bermuda Calendar section:
Masterworks Exhibit: Otto Trott - April 1st to 27th
Confessions of an Eco-Terrorist - April 25th
Sabor Dance School new term starts - April 25th
Annual Peppercorn Ceremony - April 27th
BSAC Ocean Diver SCUBA Certification Course begins - April 27th
Ferrari Carano Wine Dinner - April 27th
Special Needs Program Fair - April 28th
Discovery Wines Pinot Noir Tasting - April 28th
Bermuda Royal Wedding Reception High Tea - April 29th
Duke of Edinburgh Award Pot Luck Fundraiser - April 29th
Inner Sanctum Royal Wedding Celebration - April 29th
Royal Wedding After-Party Reception at Moon - April 29th
Lemon Tree Svedka promo – April 29th
Bermuda Docs - April 29th to May 1st
Doula Training Course - April 29th to May 1st
Clara Mohammed School Fundraiser Mooz-lum: The Movie - April 29th
Some Enchanted Evening 2011 - April 30th
Super Saturdays at Masterworks: Out of This World - April 30th
Mariners RFC Annual Mad Hatter's Ball - April 30th
BJSL Polynesian Triangle Gala Dinner - April 30th
BIFF: The World of Wine - April 30th
19th Annual Dasani Corporate Volleyball Tournament - April 30th
Docksiders Dirty Money Party - April 30th
Saltus Pirates of the Caribbean Fair - April 30th
International Bermuda vs Bahamas Match - April 30th
Sunsmart Accreditation Programme - May 1st to June 30th
Bermuda International Invitational Race Week - May 1st to 6th
RBYC Rock on the Dock - May 3rd
Poverty in Paradise: The Price We Pay – May 4th
Cinco de Mayo at Latin and Rumba°r – May 4th to 7th
Osteoporosis – Are you at Risk? - May 5th
Jimmy Keys Show - May 6th and 7th
In Motion School of Dance 14th Annual Dance Showcase - May 6th to May 14th
Catlin End-to-End 2011 - May 7th
Masterworks Exhibit: Jana Matusz - May 12th
The Art of Chocolate Fundraiser – May 13th
Shamanic Yoga & Ecstatic Dance Playshop - May 15th
BMDS: A Little Murder Never Hurt Anybody - May 16th to 21st
Harbour Nights restarts - May 18th
Christopher Cozier Lecture at BNG – May 19th
8th Annual Bermuda Guitar Festival - May 26th to 29th
Dr. Dennis Fehr Lecture at BNG – June 2nd
8th Annual Bishop’s Luncheon - June 3rd
5th Annual Family Centre Golf Tournament – June 9th
Pre-Father’s Day Captain’s Choice Tournament - June 11th
TORC's Ultimate Drivers Challenge - June 11th
Miss Bermuda Pageant - June 12th
Bermuda Open Stroke Play Championship – June 16th to 19th
Tag Days 2011 - June 17th and 18th
1st Annual Colour the Sky Event - June 20th
Summer Sundays in the Park: Rockin' de Rock - July 3rd
Summer Music Camp - July 18th to 22nd
Summer Sundays in the Park: Lift Your Voices - August 7th
Summer Sundays in the Park: Reggae Vibes - September 4th
Ovarian Cancer - September 8th
15th Annual Breast Cancer Fun Walk - October 12th
28th PGA Grand Slam of Golf - October 17th to 19th
Bermuda Interdenominational Women’s Conference - October 20th to 22nd
Taking Care of the Caregiver - December 8th