April 29th, 2011
Friday at last!
- The Chewstick Foundation would like to get the word out about ChewSLAM, a free weekly spoken-word, poetry club that is happening every Saturday between 2pm and 4pm. This is for under 17 year-olds (particularly high school aged) and will take place at Chewstick Neo-Griot Lounge & Cafe (the peach building on corner of Court Street and Elliott Street) with facilitators Stephan Johnstone and Chris Astwood. For more details, see the website at http://chewstick.org/1871.
- The Gilbert & Sullivan Society of Bermuda are looking for any drama queens (or kings) to audition for their next production, Jesus Christ, Superstar, the Andrew Lloyd Webber/Tim Rice classic. The show will run from Thursday, October 6th until Saturday, October 15th and the auditions will be held at Bermuda School of Music on Wednesday, May 4th and Thursday, May 5th from 6.30 pm until 10pm. There are multicultural roles and they are looking for an ensemble cast of 45 people. If interested in audition, they ask that you prepare a musical theatre or rock song of your choice (such as songs from Hair, Rent, Grease, Tommy etc.) to show off your range. The Artistic Director has asked that songs from Jesus Christ Superstar not be used at the primary audition. For an audition appointment, call Marjorie Stanton on 295-3218 – here's the flyer! **UPDATE: And now information on the show itself is available here.
- Moon Nightclub and Lounge are bringing a new fashion bazaar concept to Bermuda. Moonlight Bazaar collaborates a unique boutique lifestyle shopping, pampering and lounging experience all under one roof. Moonlight Bazaar will be hosting a wide arrangement of affordable and unique fashion and lifestyle vendors, ranging from unique handmade jewellery and accessories to designer and vintage clothing. The night will offer affordable express manicures, pedicures, massages, five minute make-overs, a unique cocktail list, door prizes and photo shoot. Vendors will include Alexandra Mosher, Squirrel Photography, Touche, Blush, Swag, Sankofa, Amethyst, Designs by Dean, Avon, Fatimaya Inc, Rene Hill, Gold Label, Bsquared, Springflower and many more. This will be on the first and 3rd Thursday of every month from 5.30pm until 10pm. The launch will be on Thursday, May 5th, just in time for Mother's Day, and will feature special guests, Tourism Minister Patrice Minors and, um, me! So come by and say Hi – here's the flyer!
- Apologies to anyone who was looking forward to this but The Art of Chocolate Fundraiser scheduled for May 13th has been cancelled!
- You are invited to join the community effort in your neighbourhood to Keep Bermuda Beautiful at the KBB Annual Island Wide Clean Up on Saturday, May 14th from 9am until. Gloves, trash bags and recycling bags are provided – you just have to find a location that needs a clean-up, gather together a team of colleagues, neighbours, family or friends, decide on a time in the morning or afternoon (if necessary, you can schedule for Sunday, May 15th) and call KBB on 295-5142 to register your location or ask KBB to assign your group a location. Once you complete the clean-up, contact KBB to report the number of blue (recyclable) and black (trash) bags collected and the bulky waste items so that they can come and collect them. As a reminder, students can receive credit for Community Service – here's the flyer!
- Time for a little run-down of the weekly entertainment with Will Black at Hog Penny. Currently, Wednesdays are All-Acoustic & All-Request but this will be changing to Dueling Guitars with Tony Brannon on May 18th. Thursdays are Open Mic Night, hosted with Tony Brannon, where they get any musical performers up on stage and singing and jamming together. Fridays are the Classic Rock Dance Party with uptempo rock classic hits and Saturdays are Will Black & Friends, an evening where he invites local musicians to come up and perform/jam with him along with volunteers from the crowd. All shows begin at 10pm until bar close at 1am. In addition to these regular events, tomorrow night, Saturday, April 30th is Canada Night, hosted by Will Black with drink specials for Canadians and all Canadian music performed. Next Saturday, May 7th is the debut show from Hogfish, Bermuda's newest jam band featuring Will Black from 10pm until 1am.
- Bersalon have released their spa offers for Mother's Day – here's the flyer!
- The Bermudian Magazine are currently running a special offer for anyone who Likes their Facebook Page at www.facebook.com/BermudianMagazine. Simply Like the Page and then sign up for their E-Newsletters and when they hit their target of 5,000 likes, they will email everyone who signed up for their E-Newsletters a 25% off coupon for dinner at any Island Restaurant Group establishment. Remember to suggest to your friends too so that they reach the 5,000 and send out the coupon sooner. Here's the flyer!
- Everyone seems to be having Facebook offers right now! I don't really have anything cool to give away but if you sign up for my Facebook Page at www.facebook.com/NothingtodoinBermuda, I will give you a hug – sound good?
Quick Recap of Upcoming Bermuda Events
Click on the event name to be taken to the original post with full details. No link means that the details are in this current post. For a handy Calendar view, click here to go to the Bermuda Calendar section:
Bermuda Royal Wedding Reception High Tea - April 29th
Duke of Edinburgh Award Pot Luck Fundraiser - April 29th
Inner Sanctum Royal Wedding Celebration - April 29th
Royal Wedding After-Party Reception at Moon - April 29th
Lemon Tree Svedka promo - April 29th
Hamilton Princess Facebook Party - April 29th
Bermuda Docs - April 29th to May 1st
Doula Training Course - April 29th to May 1st
Clara Mohammed School Fundraiser Mooz-lum: The Movie - April 29th
Some Enchanted Evening 2011 - April 30th
Super Saturdays at Masterworks: Out of This World - April 30th
Mariners RFC Annual Mad Hatter's Ball - April 30th
BJSL Polynesian Triangle Gala Dinner - April 30th
BIFF: The World of Wine - April 30th
19th Annual Dasani Corporate Volleyball Tournament - April 30th
Docksiders Dirty Money Party - April 30th
Saltus Pirates of the Caribbean Fair - April 30th
International Bermuda vs Bahamas Match - April 30th
Canada Night at Hog Penny – April 30th
Sunsmart Accreditation Programme - May 1st to June 30th
Bermuda International Invitational Race Week - May 1st to 6th
RBYC Rock on the Dock - May 3rd
Poverty in Paradise: The Price We Pay - May 4th
Cinco de Mayo at Latin and Rumba°r – May 4th to 7th
G&S: Jesus Christ, Superstar Auditions – May 4th and 5th
Osteoporosis – Are you at Risk? - May 5th
Moonlight Bazaar Launch – May 5th
Jimmy Keys Show - May 6th and 7th
In Motion School of Dance 14th Annual Dance Showcase - May 6th to May 14th
Catlin End-to-End 2011 - May 7th
Hogfish Debut Show at Hog Penny – May 7th
Masterworks Exhibit: Jana Matusz - May 12th
The Art of Chocolate Fundraiser - May 13th
KBB Annual Island Wide Clean Up – May 14th
Shamanic Yoga & Ecstatic Dance Playshop - May 15th
BMDS: A Little Murder Never Hurt Anybody - May 16th to 21st
Harbour Nights restarts - May 18th
Christopher Cozier Lecture at BNG - May 19th
8th Annual Bermuda Guitar Festival - May 26th to 29th
Dr. Dennis Fehr Lecture at BNG - June 2nd
8th Annual Bishop’s Luncheon - June 3rd
5th Annual Family Centre Golf Tournament - June 9th
Pre-Father’s Day Captain’s Choice Tournament - June 11th
TORC's Ultimate Drivers Challenge - June 11th
Miss Bermuda Pageant - June 12th
Bermuda Open Stroke Play Championship - June 16th to 19th
Tag Days 2011 - June 17th and 18th
1st Annual Colour the Sky Event - June 20th
Summer Sundays in the Park: Rockin' de Rock - July 3rd
Summer Music Camp - July 18th to 22nd
Summer Sundays in the Park: Lift Your Voices - August 7th
Summer Sundays in the Park: Reggae Vibes - September 4th
Ovarian Cancer - September 8th
G&S: Jesus Christ, Superstar – October 6th to 15th
15th Annual Breast Cancer Fun Walk - October 12th
28th PGA Grand Slam of Golf - October 17th to 19th
Bermuda Interdenominational Women’s Conference - October 20th to 22nd
Taking Care of the Caregiver - December 8th
Have a wonderful weekend!