April 6th, 2011
Happy National Tartan Day everyone!
If you forgot to wear anything plaid today, you can redeem yourself on June 4th – details towards the end of this post:
- The Chewstick Foundation is hosting a Showcase Fundraiser of singers, spoken word artists, rappers and more from their CHEWronto tour on Saturday, April 9th at the Ruth Seaton James Centre for the Performing Arts. Featured artists include Dewhurst, K.A.S.E., Sharla, Ramon Clarke, R?ddla, Imari, Live Wires, J.I.V., Joy T. Barnum, Kombat, Stephan Johnstone, King Somner and Francesca. Tickets are $30 or $100 for Patrons and all money goes towards artists’ travel costs and accommodations for the CHEWronto tour. Tickets are available from the Chewstick office (corner of Court & Elliot Street.), Rock Island Coffee, your favourite CHEWronto artist or call 292-2439 to arrange delivery. Here’s the link to the Facebook event and here’s the flyer!
- Alliance Francaise des Bermudes have made a slight correction to the previously advertised date of their next Ciné Club showing of Taxi 3 – this is on Tuesday, April 12th and not the 13th – I have updated the original post here.
- Sad that BIFF is over for another year? Well, fear not, the next edition of the BIFFlix Monthly Film Series is coming on Wednesday, April 20th! The April screening will be the South Korean thriller The Housemaid at 6.30pm at BUEI. Tickets are $9 for members, $13 for non-members and are available in advance from http://tickets.biff.bm or on the door from 5.30pm.
- TED, a non-profit organisation devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading, have created a program called TEDx. TEDx is a programme of local, self-organised events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience (more details on website at http://tedxbermuda.com. The first event is from 1pm until 6pm at BUEI on Saturday, April 23rd. Guest Speakers include Jonathan Vaughters (CEO of Slipstream Sports/ Manager of UCI ProTeam Garmin-Cervélo), Dr. Neil Burnie (Director of The Bermuda Shark Project), Gitanjali S. Gutierrez (Attorney – Center for Constitutional Rights), Alan Gilbertson (Founder of FoodBank South Africa), Dr. Michael Lomas (Senior Research Scientist at the Bemuda Institute of Ocean Sciences), Daniel Liberman, PhD (Professor of Human Evolutionary Biology, Harvard University), Keith Casey (Musicologist) and Tiffany Paynter (Spoken Word Artist). Tickets are $80 and available from www.premierticketsglobal.com.
- As previously mentioned, Fight Night XIII: The Battle of Bermuda will be on Saturday, April 23rd. For the first time in the history of Fight Night, K-1 Kickboxing and Mixed Martial Arts will be featured along with traditional Boxing. Tickets are available online from www.premierticketsglobal.com and cost $65 for general admission and $100 for VIP (includes open bar for VIPs). Here’s the flyer and here’s the link to the Facebook event.
- In celebration of 75 years of serving the Bermuda community, the Bermuda Junior Service League (BJSL) are hosting a Polynesian Triangle Gala Dinner on Saturday, April 30th. This will be at the Fairmont Southampton Princess with cocktails from 6pm and a polynesian-inspired dinner at 7pm. Entertainment features the Bermuda Fire Dancers, the Bermuda School of Music Steel Pan Orchestra, the Berkeley Drama Club, and music and dancing with the Tom Ray Band. Dress Code is Black Tie or Polynesian and funds raised will support the BJSL’s key educational programmes including The Mrs. C. Vail-Zuill Scholarship, The Stuff the Bus Primary School Programme and The BJSL Annual Schools Debate Tournament. Tickets are $200 each or $3000 for Patron tables of 10 and are available by calling 332-2575, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or visiting www.bjsl.bm. Here’s the flyer!
- Seems far away but it isn’t really – mark your calendars for Saturday, June 4th as The Caledonian Society of Bermuda are hosting their First Annual Charity Golf Tournament at the Fairmont Southampton Resort Golf Club. The format is Captain’s Choice and the shotgun start is at 8am. Cost is $100 per player (teams of 4) and the price includes green fees, golf cart and a light Scottish breakfast. This is the first event of this type to be hosted by the Society and all proceeds will go towards the annual gifts we make to local good causes (details here). Prizes are on offer for closest-to-the-target on certain holes and a prize for the most tartan-clad team. There are also sponsorship opportunites – contact email@example.com for more details on this. Spaces are limited and based on the response so far, I would recommend getting your registration forms in early! Here is the registration form for you to complete and return to Ian Hind at firstname.lastname@example.org and here is the link to the Facebook event.
- Just a quick note to let you know that registration for the Catlin End-to-End is now open at www.bermudaendtoend.bm.
- Bermuda Air Conditioning Ltd are holding their Annual Sanyo 15% Off Sale – here’s the flyer with full details.
Quick Recap of Upcoming Bermuda Events
Click on the event name to be taken to the original post with full details. No link means that the details are in this current post. For a handy Calendar view, click here to go to the Bermuda Calendar section:
Ross Blackie Talbot Charity Classic – April 1st to 8th
Masterworks Exhibit: Otto Trott – April 1st to 27th
12th Annual Caribbean Conference on Sustainable Tourism Development (STC-12) – April 3rd to 6th
Meet the Artist with William Collieson – April 6th
Bermuda Open 2011 Indoor Volleyball Tournament – April 7th to 9th
Argus Health Fair – April 7th
Bermuda Folk Club Blues Night – April 9th
Chewstick Foundation Showcase Fundraiser – April 9th
Ciné Club: Taxi 3 – April 12th
73nd Annual Bermuda Exhibition – April 14th to 16th
Franklin Hill Perrell Lecture at BNG – April 14th
Amnesty International Bermuda: John Teller Lecture – April 20th
BIFFlix Monthly Film Series: The Housemaid – April 20th
Renegades RFC Booze Cruise – April 21st
Dr. Erica James Lecture at BNG – April 21st
Fight Night XIII: The Battle of Bermuda – April 23rd
Bermuda Breeze Concert Series (Theresa Hightower) – April 23rd
TEDx Bermuda – April 23rd
Claire gets to eat chocolate – April 24th
Harbour Nights restarts – April 27th May 18th
Annual Peppercorn Ceremony – April 27th
Bermuda Royal Wedding Reception High Tea – April 29th
Some Enchanted Evening 2011 – April 30th
Super Saturdays at Masterworks: Out of This World – April 30th
Mariners RFC Annual Mad Hatter’s Ball – April 30th
BJSL Polynesian Triangle Gala Dinner – April 30th
Sunsmart Accreditation Programme – May 1st to June 30th
Osteoporosis – Are you at Risk? – May 5th
Jimmy Keys Show – May 6th and 7th
Catlin End-to-End 2011 – May 7th
Masterworks Exhibit: Jana Matusz – May 12th
Caledonian Society of Bermuda 1st Annual Charity Golf Tournament – June 4th
Miss Bermuda Pageant – June 12th
Tag Days 2011 – June 17th and 18th
Summer Music Camp – July 18th to 22nd
Ovarian Cancer – September 8th
15th Annual Breast Cancer Fun Walk – October 12th
Taking Care of the Caregiver – December 8th