May 11th, 2011
Morning all and Happy Eat What You Want Day!
As far as made-up holidays go, this one is awesome! You all have my permission to break your diets so go nuts!
- For anyone wanting to burn off all those extra calories from today, registration for the Bermuda Volleyball Association’s 2011 Summer Beach League will be open from Monday, May 16th until Sunday May 22nd – full details are on their website here! For anyone who needs a little help, registration for their Beach Skills Clinic opens today – the clinic will be on Wednesday, June 1st from 6pm until 8pm and is suitable for players of all levels - you can register online here. There is also a Video Tutorials under the ‘Media Gallery’ tab for a demonstration of the basic skills! All Beach Divisions from Beginner to Expert, Tournaments and Clinics will be held at Horseshoe Bay.
- The City of Hamilton have organised two very different free cultural events as part of their Four Season City Arts Festival. Art in the Dark will be on Thursday, May 12th from 5pm until 8pm where you will be able to view and purchase art displayed in participating restaurants and galleries, and stay for dinner. Participating venues include Lemon Tree, Opus, Muse, BSoA, Barracuda Grill and more – click here for the list . A very different vibe will be at Art in the Park in Par-la-Ville Park on Sunday, May 15th from 11am until 4pm with artists, live entertainment from violinist Christopher Darrell, Nadanja Bailey, Chewstick, Sabor Dance Kids, Shine Hayward, Sia Spence and more, as well as children's art classes. Here's the flyer or see www.cityhall.bm/events/four-season-city-arts-festival for more details.
- An extra reason to be excited for Happy Hour this week – Mohawk Radio will be performing at Fairmont Hamilton Princess.
- Rod Jackson of Nuwati Herbals is sharing the wisdom of his ancestors in a special educational Weekend Workshop on Native American Healing Practices and Herbal Medicine. There will be an introductory lecture on Native American Medicinal Herbs on Friday, May 20th from 7pm until 9pm at a cost of $25. The workshop will be from 11am until 4pm on Saturday, May 21st and from 12 noon until 5pm on Sunday, May 22nd. The cost is $175 which includes lunch on both days and the workshop will be held on Train Track Lane, Ord Road, Paget. Proceeds are in aid of the St. David’s Islanders & Native Community Pow Wow Fund. For further information, contact Kuni Frith-Black on 238-1227 – here's the flyer!
- The Gilbert and Sullivan Society is excited to bring the Metropolitan Opera to Bermuda in glorious HD with a special screening of Lucia di Lammermoor by Gaetano Donizetti on Saturday, May 21st at 3pm and Sunday, May 22nd at 1pm. This will be in the Tradewinds Auditorium at BUEI. Formal dress is not required, but is also not discouraged, so feel free to dress up pretty. A cash bar will be available during all intermissions and complimentary hors d’oeuvres will be provided. The link to the Met’s website for the HD broadcasts is www.metoperafamily.org/metopera/broadcast/hd_events_next.aspx. Tickets are $35 and available from www.premierticketsglobal.com. To sweeten the deal, all ticket holders are entitled to a 10% discount at the Harbourfront restaurant following the performance upon presentation of their ticket stubs. For more information, see www.gands.bm/opera.htm or contact Matt Nester at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- I really hope this gets past the spam filters for all you email subscribers but Uzimon & Friends present Wet Ya Punani at Docksiders on Friday, May 27th at 9pm until 2am. Uzimon and The Butcha perform a full 1 hour set, with all new tunes, antics, ignorance, skits, special guests including DJ Smokey, and more. Admission is $20, unless you're wearing a fake beard, in which case, you get in for free. Here's the link to the event on Facebook.
- The Jackson School of Performing Arts Annual Summer Dance Recital presents 'Hooray for Hollywood' at City Hall Theatre between Wednesday, June 22nd until Saturday, June 25th. Showtime is at 7pm daily and tickets cost $35 for adults, $30 for children aged 12 and under, and they are available from www.bdatix.com.
- The Fairmont Southampton have kindly sent me their brand new lunch menus from Bacci and Cabana Bar. Here's the menu for Cabana Bar and here's Bacci's. Not just a new menu for Bacci but the serving of lunch itself is new – good news for all you golfers who hang around that area!
Quick Recap of Upcoming Bermuda Events
Click on the event name to be taken to the original post with full details. No link means that the details are in this current post. For a handy Calendar view, click here to go to the Bermuda Calendar section:
Sunsmart Accreditation Programme - May 1st to June 30th
In Motion School of Dance 14th Annual Dance Showcase - May 6th to May 14th
Hospitality Week - May 9th to 13th
Masterworks Exhibit: Jana Matusz - May 12th
Art in the Dark – May 12th
Mohawk Radio at Hamilton Princess Happy Hour – May 13th
KBB Annual Island Wide Clean Up - May 14th
Kardias Club 2nd Annual Tea with a Twist - May 14th
Palm Grove Garden Celebration - May 14th
Bermuda Folk Club Open Mic Night - May 14th
Y.E.S. Day - May 14th
Bermuda Ball Hockey Party - May 14th
Shamanic Yoga & Ecstatic Dance Playshop - May 15th
Art in the Park – May 15th
BMDS: A Little Murder Never Hurt Anybody - May 16th to 21st
Bermuda Volleyball Association’s 2011 Summer Beach League Registration – May 16th to 22nd
Harbour Nights restarts - May 18th
Christopher Cozier Lecture at BNG - May 19th
BIFFlix Monthly Film Series: Love Etc. - May 19th
iReign - May 20th
Weekend Workshop on Native American Healing Practices and Herbal Medicine – May 20th to 22nd
Soak - May 21st
Golden Oldies Hockey Tour Horse Racing Night - May 21st
Serious Times: Gyptian & Etana Live - May 21st
G&S Society: Lucia di Lammermoor – May 21st to 22nd
Discovery Wines BBQ - May 23rd
8th Annual Bermuda Guitar Festival - May 26th to 29th
Uzimon & Friends present Wet Ya Punani – May 27th
BVA Beach Skills Clinic – June 1st
Dr. Dennis Fehr Lecture at BNG - June 2nd
8th Annual Bishop’s Luncheon - June 3rd
Canaries' I'm on a Boat Booze Cruise - June 3rd
St. Paul's Fundraising Concert - June 4th
5th Annual Family Centre Golf Tournament - June 9th
Pre-Father’s Day Captain’s Choice Tournament - June 11th
TORC's Ultimate Drivers Challenge - June 11th
Miss Bermuda Pageant - June 12th
Bermuda Open Stroke Play Championship - June 16th to 19th
Tag Days 2011 - June 17th and 18th
Girl Power Bermuda - June 18th
The St. David’s Islanders and Native Community’s Biannual Pow Wow - June 18th and 19th
1st Annual Colour the Sky Event - June 20th
Jackson School of Performing Arts Annual Summer Dance Recital: Hooray for Hollywood – June 22nd to 25th
Capital G 23rd Annual Iron Kids Triathlon - June 25th
Summer Sundays in the Park: Rockin' de Rock - July 3rd
BMDS: Much Ado About Nothing - July 17th to 24th
Summer Music Camp - July 18th to 22nd
Magic Workshop - August 1st to 5th
Summer Sundays in the Park: Lift Your Voices - August 7th
Summer Sundays in the Park: Reggae Vibes - September 4th
Ovarian Cancer - September 8th
G&S: Jesus Christ, Superstar - October 6th to 15th
15th Annual Breast Cancer Fun Walk - October 12th
28th PGA Grand Slam of Golf - October 17th to 19th
Bermuda Interdenominational Women’s Conference - October 20th to 22nd
Taking Care of the Caregiver - December 8th