May 18th, 2011
- The Ministry of Health in conjunction with the Bermuda Nurse’s Association present the 2011 Nursing Expo, which will take place today at the Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute (BUEI) from 10am until 4pm. For more information, contact Lynn Jackson at email@example.com or 278-6452 – here's the flyer.
- Tomorrow will be the 3rd Thursday of the month, which means only one thing – the next Moonlight Bazaar, Moon Nightclub and Lounge's new fashion bazaar concept from 5.30pm until 9pm. If you missed the launch on May 5th, Moonlight Bazaar hosts a wide arrangement of affordable and unique fashion and lifestyle vendors, ranging from unique handmade jewellery and accessories to designer and vintage clothing. The night will offer affordable express manicures, pedicures, massages, five minute make-overs, a unique cocktail list, door prizes and photo shoot. This week's will have a special Bermuda Day theme and will also feature a short fashion show by Bsquared and accessory designer Lisa Rivas of Touche starting at 6.30pm. Here's the flyer!
- Can't believe it has already been a year but Moon Nightclub and Lounge are celebrating their 1 Year Anniversary Glow Party. This will be on Monday, May 23rd from 10pm until 3am and will feature all three resident DJs, DJ Choice, DJ Bitsy and DJ Scoobay. They will be living up to the Glow Party name with glow sticks, black lights, special lighting effects and neon decorations and there will also be Happy Hour drink prices until midnight, video DJ'ing, jello shots, shooter girls. There will be no cover charge and the dress code is Dress to Impress as there will be free champagne and prizes to the best dressed Guy and Girl at midnight. Here's the flyer!
- The main events happening on May 24th? Well, there is the historic Bermuda Half Marathon Derby, a race starting in Somerset at 9.30am and ending in Hamilton. This usually has more than 600 entrants and has been attracting the crowds and keeping us entertained since 1909. Full details can be found at www.bermudamarathon.bm.
- The other big May 24 event is, of course, the Annual Bermuda Heritage Day Parade! This year, the route has been reversed and will leave Bernard Park at 1.30pm, ending at City Hall Car Park but it will still include all the usual favourites – floats, gombeys, majorettes, pipers, drum corps and dance troopes. Full details should be on www.communityandculture.bm soon.
- Also, you are officially allowed to dip more than a toe in the ocean again. Bermudians traditionally wait until May 24th before going swimming.
- As you all know, Harbour Nights restarts tonight but West-Enders will soon be able to join in the street-party vibe too. Royal Naval Dockyard Heritage Nights will begin next Thursday, May 26th from 6.30pm until 8.30pm in the Victualling Yard in Dockyard. As the name suggests, this is a celebration of Bermudian Heritage including cricket, croquet, kite-making, crown and anchor, local dancers, musicians, vendors, traditional food and beverages and more. Heritage Nights will run each Thursday for 18 weeks until September 22nd. Full details can be found on their website at www.thewestend.bm/?p=1456 - here's the flyer.
- Over-25s are invited to the Flirtini Party at The Wine Cellar at Fairmont Southampton on Saturday, June 4th from 8pm until 11pm. This is a fund-raiser for the ladies national hockey team and will feature music by DJ Scoobay of YGS. The first drink is free, there are free gift bags and giveaways and drinks will be served by the hockey girls! Tickets are $45 in advance, $50 on the door and are available from The Edge in Washington Mall or from firstname.lastname@example.org. The price also includes free admission to the Moon Stop Light Party afterwards - here is the flyer!
- The next of the Historical Heartbeats Lecture Series will be Portugal Day: From the Açores to Bermuda on Saturday, June 11th from 2pm until 5pm at Victoria Park. This is a Rain or Shine event and will take place at Vasco da Gama Club, 51 Reid Street if the weather is lousy. This will give you the opportunity to learn more about and celebrate the Portuguese culture and will include live entertainment, film, historical talks, dance, displays, and more. Demonstrations will include how to make malasadas (Portuguese doughnuts), how to speak basic Portuguese words and phrases, and how to do Portuguese folk dancing. The Portuguese School of Bermuda will also be offering some portuguese delicacies for purchase. This is a free event – for more details, contact Folklife Officer Dr. Kim Dismont Robinson on 292-1681, or see the website at www.communityandculture.bm - here's the flyer!
- Looking for something fun for your kids to do over the summer? The Bermuda Hockey Federation are offering a week long summer camp for kids aged 6 and over. This will begin the week of July 4th and will be at BHS Jessie Vesey Gym. The cost is $200 for the full week (8.30pm until 4pm) or $100 for half days (8.30pm until 12 noon). Here's the flyer!
- A new addition to the Regular/Recurring Events section is the return of the Island Sunset BBQ at the Fairmont Hamilton Princess. This will be every Tuesday all summer!
- Lovers of vintage bargains will welcome the opening of The St. George's Foundation (TSGF) Second-Hand Rose Charity Shoppe at the World Heritage Centre. Opening hour are 10am until 4pm from Monday to Saturday – here's the flyer!
Quick Recap of Upcoming Bermuda Events
Click on the event name to be taken to the original post with full details. No link means that the details are in this current post. For a handy Calendar view, click here to go to the Bermuda Calendar section:
Sunsmart Accreditation Programme - May 1st to June 30th
BMDS: A Little Murder Never Hurt Anybody - May 16th to 21st
Bermuda Volleyball Association’s 2011 Summer Beach League Registration - May 16th to 22nd
Harbour Nights restarts - May 18th
2011 Nursing Expo – May 18th
Christopher Cozier Lecture at BNG - May 19th
BIFFlix Monthly Film Series: Love Etc. - May 19th
Moonlight Bazaar – May 19th
iReign - May 20th
Weekend Workshop on Native American Healing Practices and Herbal Medicine - May 20th to 22nd
Soak - May 21st
Golden Oldies Hockey Tour Horse Racing Night - May 21st
Serious Times: Gyptian & Etana Live - May 21st
G&S Society: Lucia di Lammermoor - May 21st to 22nd
Discovery Wines BBQ - May 23rd
Moon 1 Year Anniversary Glow Party – May 23rd
Bermuda Half Marathon Derby – May 24th
Annual Bermuda Heritage Day Parade – May 24th
8th Annual Bermuda Guitar Festival - May 26th to 29th
Royal Naval Dockyard Heritage Nights restarts – May 26th
Uzimon & Friends present Wet Ya Punani - May 27th
Chewstick Foundation Summer Artists' Retreat - May 27th to 29th
Mommy Dearest: A Murder Mystery - May 28th
BVA Beach Skills Clinic - June 1st
Dr. Dennis Fehr Lecture at BNG - June 2nd
8th Annual Bishop’s Luncheon - June 3rd
Canaries' I'm on a Boat Booze Cruise - June 3rd
St. Paul's Fundraising Concert - June 4th
Flirtini Party – June 4th
5th Annual Family Centre Golf Tournament - June 9th
Pre-Father’s Day Captain’s Choice Tournament - June 11th
TORC's Ultimate Drivers Challenge - June 11th
Historical Heartbeats Lecture Series – Portugal Day: From the Açores to Bermuda – June 11th
Miss Bermuda Pageant - June 12th
Bermuda Open Stroke Play Championship - June 16th to 19th
Tag Days 2011 - June 17th and 18th
Girl Power Bermuda - June 18th
The St. David’s Islanders and Native Community’s Biannual Pow Wow - June 18th and 19th
1st Annual Colour the Sky Event - June 20th
Capital G 23rd Annual Iron Kids Triathlon - June 25th
Summer Sundays in the Park: Rockin' de Rock - July 3rd
Bermuda Hockey Federation Summer Camp - July 4th to 8th
BMDS: Much Ado About Nothing - July 17th to 24th
Summer Music Camp - July 18th to 22nd
Magic Workshop - August 1st to 5th
Summer Sundays in the Park: Lift Your Voices - August 7th
Summer Sundays in the Park: Reggae Vibes - September 4th
Ovarian Cancer - September 8th
G&S: Jesus Christ, Superstar - October 6th to 15th
15th Annual Breast Cancer Fun Walk - October 12th
28th PGA Grand Slam of Golf - October 17th to 19th
Bermuda Interdenominational Women’s Conference - October 20th to 22nd
Taking Care of the Caregiver - December 8th