June 15th, 2011
First up, congratulations to the team, Has Anyone Seen Our Balls?, who won the very first NTDIB Neon: Charity Night Golf Tournament! Thanks also to everyone who came – the evening was a great success and, yes, I will organise another one! More congratulations are in order to all the winners of the Best of Bermuda Awards - remember to get your copy of The Bermudian today to see all the winners for 2011!
- The Chewstick Foundation is relaunching its Block Docs Series with a screening of the Lucinda Spurling documentary Poverty in Paradise: The Price We Pay. This will be at the usual location of Chewstick Neo-Griot Lounge & Cafe on Thursday, June 16th at 6.30pm and is free (although donations are accepted). Here's the poster and here's the link to the Facebook event.
- Tomorrow is the third Thursday of the month, which means only one thing – it’s time for the next Moonlight Bazaar! This regular Happy Hour/Shopping Event at Moon Nightclub and Lounge is from 5.30pm until 9pm, and this week’s will feature a fashion show on the dress that can be worn 100 different ways, wine tasting by Goslings, Father's Day gift ideas such as unique cufflinks made from vintage buttons and glass from the Czech Republic, $20 mini manicures and pedicures and much more. You will also have the chance to win up to $200 in door prizes, a photo shoot and a Blackberry Torch provided by Digicel.
- Bermuda Overseas Mission is hosting a Fish Fry on Friday, June 17th. This will be at Christ Church in Warwick from 5pm and will cost $20 per meal, which includes fish, fries, peas and rice, coleslaw, drink and dessert. Proceeds go towards the group’s trip to Zambia. Bermuda Overseas Missions will be sending a team of 44 volunteers to Zambia in Southeastern Africa this summer to build homes for families impacted by the economic recession and the AIDS epidemic. Here's the flyer!
- Bermuda.com invite you to come celebrate the finer things in life with them at their The Diamond Standard event this Friday. This will be at Lantana in Sandys from 7pm until midnight and will include live music before sunset, DJ D-Nice after dark, a free drink for the first 200 guests and a live fashion show of Diesel apparel by Mambo. There will also be a free water shuttle from Albouy's Point on the MV Elizabeth departing at 6.45pm and returning at midnight. Drivers, riders and drop offs should go to White Hill Field and take the free park and ride shuttle. Purchase your ticket by Wednesday and you're eligible to win a seat on United Airlines to anywhere in the continental United States just for attending the Diamond Standard.. Tickets are $40 and are available from www.premierticketsglobal.com – for groups of 6 or more, discounts are available by calling 278-1881. Part proceeds will benefit Sandy's 360, a registered charity – here’s the flyer!
- We’re well into BBQ Season now but do you think that you might be the Best BBQ’er of all? If so, put your money where your mouth is and get on down to Fresh TV’s Father’s Day BBQ & Outdoor Expo 2011 on Sunday, June 19th at Uptown Court Street from 12 noon until 5.30pm. There are three categories and the grand prize is a gas BBQ and $500 food voucher. Entry is free to participants and general admission is $10 (which includes 5 food tokens) or $5 for kids under 5. For full details, visit www.fresh.bm - here's the flyer/registration form!
- I mentioned the the Colour the Sky event before but they have a lot more vendors and perfomers onboard now so I thought it was worth a little update! This event will be at Fort St. Catherine Beach on Monday, June 20th from 11am until 6pm. The Opening Ceremony will be presented by the Town Crier of St. George's, David Frith. EEZA have kindly funded a DJ all day and there will also be entertainment from Highland dancers and bagpipes, Sandtastic organiser (from Horseshoe Bay event) doing a sculpture, sandcastle competition for kids, kite making workshops with Chris Maxwell, kite flying, trick kite flying demos ( 2 demonstrators at different times), Zumba dancers, African dancers, PCC Majorettes, Copoiera Brazillian martial arts, Steel pans/limbo dancers and more to be confirmed. There will also be over 20 vendors with bouncy castles, snowballs, food, clothing, sandals, jewellery, paintings and more. The Fort will be open especially for the occasion, as will Blackbeard’s Hideout who will have a family special meal, as well as special Colour the Sky drinks. The Mayor of St. George's will close the event – sound like a pretty nice way to spend the holiday! Here's the flyer!
- I am completely incapable of looking at the poster for this without singing Bert from Sesame Street’s Rubber Ducky song to myself! Anyway, the 15th Annual Glow in the Dark Duck Derby Race & Party is billed as exciting evening of fun, food, drink, dancing, duck racing and prizes with proceeds to benefit Agape House, our island's only hospice. This will take place on Saturday, June 25th from 7pm until midnight at The Old House, 3 Point Shares, Pembroke and will feature their Champions Race once again where guests can bid on ducks painted by local artists such as Jo Birdsey, Diana Amos and Niall Woolf and see them race for the coveted prize of a sunset sail on the Bright Star II (donated by Brian Billings). Dress is smart casual and the cost of $125 per person includes food and drink all night. For tickets or more details, please contact email@example.com. Here's the flyer!
- The Gilbert and Sullivan Society are continuing their mission to make us all more cultured by continuing to bring the Metropolitan Opera to the Tradewinds Auditorium at BUEI and the next few screenings are as follows – Il Trovatore by Giuseppe Verdi at 6.30pm on Saturday, June 25th; Das Rheingold by Richard Wagner on Saturday, July 9th at 6.30pm; and Die Walküre by Richard Wagner on Saturday, July 23rd at 5pm. A cash bar will be available during all intermissions and complimentary hors d’oeuvres will be provided. The link to the Met’s website for the HD broadcasts is www.metoperafamily.org/metopera/broadcast/hd_events_next.aspx. As usual, tickets are $35, available from www.premierticketsglobal.com and all ticket holders are entitled to a 10% discount at the Harbourfront restaurant following the performance upon presentation of their ticket stubs. For more information, see www.gands.bm/opera.htm or contact Matt Nester at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Bermuda Islands Pipe Band are having a concert on Saturday, July 2nd. This will be in Saltus Grammar School Auditorium at 7pm. Tickets are $20 on the door, or $10 for children under 12 and seniors, and the price includes a donation to the Pipe Band Foundation of Bermuda. Tickets are also available in advance from BIPB members – if you’d like a Patron ticket, call 735-0594 . Here's the flyer!
- Good news for foodies, the Newport Room at Fairmont has reopened for the season! The menu can be found on their website at www.fairmont.com/southampton/GuestServices/Restaurants/NewportRoom.htm.
Quick Recap of Upcoming Bermuda Events
Click on the event name to be taken to the original post with full details. No link means that the details are in this current post. For a handy Calendar view, click here to go to the Bermuda Calendar section:
Sunsmart Accreditation Programme - May 1st to June 30th
Pierangelo Lanfranchi Photo Exhibit - May 20th to June 15th
BIFFlix: Ceremony - June 16th 22nd
BEPRO Summer Kick off Party - June 16th
Chewstick Block Docs – Poverty in Paradise: The Price We Pay – June 16th
Moonlight Bazaar – June 16th
Bermuda Open Stroke Play Championship - June 16th to 19th
Friday Night Fish Fry Fundraiser - June 17th
Jeffrey Johnston Fundraiser at RBYC - June 17th
Bermuda Overseas Mission Fish Fry – June 17th
Bermuda.com: The Diamond Standard – June 17th
Jana Matusz Exhibition - June 17th to 29th
Tag Days 2011 - June 17th and 18th
Girl Power Bermuda - June 18th
Francis Patton Primary School Extravaganza - June 18th
Nuvo Pink Party Carnival - June 18th
The St. David’s Islanders and Native Community’s Biannual Pow Wow - June 18th and 19th
Bermuda Docs Weekend Film Series - June 19th
Fresh TV’s Father’s Day BBQ & Outdoor Expo 2011 – June 19th
1st Annual Colour the Sky Event - June 20th
1st Flanagans Onions Traffic Light Booze Cruise - June 24th
United Dance Productions Annual Dance Recital - June 24th and 25th
Capital G 23rd Annual Iron Kids Triathlon - June 25th
Candyland Fair & Concert - June 25th
G&S Opera: Il Trovatore – June 25th
15th Annual Glow in the Dark Duck Derby Race & Party – June 25th
National Ladies Hockey Team Golf Day Fundraiser - June 26th
Gorilla Doctors (The Lecture Series) - June 28th and 29th
Bad Girls Gone Wild – The Wet Wet Edition - July 2nd
Bermuda Islands Pipe Band Concert – July 2nd
Summer Sundays in the Park: Rockin' de Rock - July 3rd
Bermuda Hockey Federation Summer Camp - July 4th to 8th
Youth Library Summer Day Camp - July 4th to 27th
G&S Opera: Das Rheingold – July 9th
BMDS: Much Ado About Nothing - July 17th to 24th
Summer Music Camp - July 18th to 22nd
13th Annual College Students Networking Event - July 21st
G&S Opera: Die Walküre – July 23rd
Magic Workshop - August 1st to 5th
Summer Sundays in the Park: Lift Your Voices - August 7th
Mambo Nights: City Lights - August 13th
Summer Sundays in the Park: Reggae Vibes - September 4th
Ovarian Cancer - September 8th
G&S: Jesus Christ, Superstar - October 6th to 15th
15th Annual Breast Cancer Fun Walk - October 12th
28th PGA Grand Slam of Golf - October 17th to 19th
Bermuda Interdenominational Women’s Conference - October 20th to 22nd
Mount Saint Agnes Academy Bazaar presents Cirque de MSA - October 21st and 22nd
Taking Care of the Caregiver - December 8th