June 22nd, 2011
Lots going on in BDA over the next little while so let's get right down to it:
- Quick update about BIFFlix – their screening of Ceremony which was supposed to be last week was postponed until tonight – here's the original post with details.
- There is now a Happy Hour option in the East, courtesy of Buzz on the Beach at Tobacco Bay! A shuttle bus will be leaving Hamilton, across from Pickled Onion at 5.30pm and returning back to Hamilton at 10pm – free food and discounted drinks will be available once you get there. Free tickets for the shuttle bus will be available at all Buzz outlets.
- Another Chewstick Griot Session is coming up on Friday and this time reggae band Conscious will be taking over the stage at the usual location of Chewstick Neo-Griot Lounge & Cafe. Doors open at 8pm, the show starts at 9pm and tickets are $10. For more information call 292-2439 (CHEW) or email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. Here's the flyer and here's the link to the event on Facebook!
- The BEPRO Lunch N’ Learn Series is back at the Chamber of Commerce on Tuesday, June 28th. The first of this three-part series is on the subject of Personal Finances and topics include Budgeting, Saving, Building Credit, Insurance and Pension. Speakers are Elyse Scott from Capital G and Miguel DaPonte from BF&M and lunch will be provided. This event is free for members, $10 per session for non-members or non-members pay $20 for the whole three part series. To register, RSVP to email@example.com - here's the flyer!
- The next Under the Moongate Supper Club will be at Beluga Bar on Thursday, June 30th at Beluga Bar. The cost is $85 per person for food only, $130 for the food and wine pairing, $70 for vegan food and $113 for vegan food and wine pairing. Spaces are limited so RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org. Here's a copy of the menu.
- Fatimaya is launching its new physical presence at Inna Heights, 28 Elliot Street and will open its doors to the public on Saturday, July 2nd. The store will will carry magazines, vintage, Indie Designers, home decor with a mini fitting room and will be celebrating their opening day from noon until 6pm with a sidewalk fashion show, live performance by Kombat and Suede, music by Natural Radio Movement, massage demo, henna tattoos, giveaways and more – here's the poster and here's the the link to the Facebook event.
- The Association of Canadians in Bermuda will be holding their annual Canada Day Beach Party at Warwick Long Bay on Saturday, July 2nd from 12 noon until 5pm. Membership is $10 and includes lunch and beverages. There will be the National Anthem, cake, tug-of-war games, and of course, volleyball. Here's the flyer or see www.canadians.bm for details.
- Fans of Smooth Jazz will be excited to learn that platinum-selling artist Najee will be performing in Bermuda next month. The Pre-Party Meet and Greet will be on Saturday, July 16th from 10.30pm at Shine's House of Music and Entertainment. The outdoor concert itself will be the following day on Sunday, July 17th in Cavendish Car Park. Gates open at 4pm and showtime is 6.30pm. Tickets for the Pre-Party Meet and Greet are $27, tickets for the concert are $70 for general admission or $105 for VIP tickets (includes admission to the pre-show and afterparty) and tickets for the afterparty at Shine's H.O.M.E cost $33. All tickets are available from www.bdatix.com.
- Time to start thinking about Cup Match Weekend people!! Chewstick's 6th Annual Beachfest Emancipation Celebration at Horseshoe Bay Beach is bigger than ever this year with two days of fun. This will start at 5pm on Wednesday, July 27th and go all day on the Thursday too! Here's the link to the Facebook event where more details will be posted as they become available. **UPDATE: Wednesday's lineup has been confirmed and is a ticket-only event – the beach will be closed off to the public. No coolers are allowed but there will be a full bar with lots of drinks specials. A concert with the BEST of Bermuda's musicians and DJS and International guest Mr. Vegas, an Emancipation Ceremony, Digicel's J'ouvert Paint the Beach, and more. Tickets are $30 in advance, $50 at the gate, and are available from www.premierticketsglobal.com. Thursday is the all day party, with the beach open to the public, and will feature a skate ramp, volleyball, football, rugby, wacky games, food vendors, bar, a Planking World Record Attempt and more. There will be afternoon live performances at 1pm and 3pm and a Tug o' War between Somerset and St. George's at 6pm. The evening concert will feature an impressive line-up of local talent and featured DJs include Dirkistan Freedon Fighters, Qian, DJ Chubb, DJ Keem, DJ Einstein, Bitsy, Fozzy, Supatone and D'General. Here's the flyer!
- Dig out those coconuts and grass skirts from last year as BPRFC are once again inviting you to get leid (hee, hee) at their Cheeky Tiki Luau Party! This will be on Wednesday, July 27th from 7pm until 2am – there will be a cash bar ($50 for 10 drinks), Hawaiian Games, BBQ, and prizes for the Best Costumes. Tickets are $20 and available from email@example.com. It's sure to be aloha-nonsense – here's the link to the event on Facebook.
- Royal Naval Dockyard Heritage Nights will be on as usual on Thursday, July 28th but will have a special Cup Match theme with Frog & Onion featuring a Crown & Anchor table, a Cricket demonstration, food vendors featuring typical Cup Match fare, reggae and calypso music and performances by Gombey Dancers.
- Billed as the Official Cup Match After-Party, Soca versus Reggae V: The Global Edition will be at Penno's Wharf, St. George's on Friday, July 29th from 9pm until 3am with Wayne Marshall (**UPDATE: Wayne Marshall has been replaced by C-Daynger and Ding Dong), Poison Dart and Y.G.S. defending their title in the Reggae Team, while Bunji Garlin (**UPDATE: Bunji Garlin will be replaced by Skinny Fabulous and Problem Child), Ox Mighty and Tony Tempo will be in the Soca corner! Here's the flyer! Here's the revised flyer!
Quick Recap of Upcoming Bermuda Events
Click on the event name to be taken to the original post with full details. No link means that the details are in this current post. For a handy Calendar view, click here to go to the Bermuda Calendar section:
Sunsmart Accreditation Programme - May 1st to June 30th
Jana Matusz Exhibition - June 17th to 29th
BIFFlix: Ceremony - June 16th 22nd
What's in a Name? Wine-Tasting/Pairing at Ten - June 23rd
1st Flanagans Onions Traffic Light Booze Cruise - June 24th
L’Alliance Française Saint Jean Baptiste Bonfire - June 24th
Chewstick Griot Session: Conscious – June 24th
United Dance Productions Annual Dance Recital - June 24th and 25th
Capital G 23rd Annual Iron Kids Triathlon - June 25th
Candyland Fair & Concert - June 25th
G&S Opera: Il Trovatore - June 25th
Secrets presents Worth the Wait - June 25th
National Ladies Hockey Team Golf Day Fundraiser - June 26th
Gorilla Doctors (The Lecture Series) - June 28th and 29th
BEPRO Lunch N’ Learn Series – June 28th
Riddell's Bay Dinner Dance - June 29th
Under the Moongate Supper Club at Beluga – June 30th
Bad Girls Gone Wild – The Wet Wet Edition - July 2nd
Bermuda Islands Pipe Band Concert - July 2nd
Fatimaya Launch – July 2nd
Canada Day Beach Party at Warwick Long Bay – July 2nd
16th Annual Portuguese Holy Spirit Festival - July 2nd and 3rd
Summer Sundays in the Park: Rockin' de Rock - July 3rd
Bermuda Hockey Federation Summer Camp - July 4th to 8th
Youth Library Summer Day Camp - July 4th to 27th
G&S Opera: Das Rheingold - July 9th
Najee Pre-Party Meet and Greet – July 16th
Najee Concert and Afterparty – July 17th
BMDS: Much Ado About Nothing - July 17th to 24th
Summer Music Camp - July 18th to 22nd
13th Annual College Students Networking Event - July 21st
G&S Opera: Die Walküre - July 23rd
BPRFC Cheeky Tiki Luau Party – July 27th
Chewstick's Beachfest Emancipation Celebration – July 27th and 28th
Royal Naval Dockyard Heritage Nights: Cup Match Edition – July 28th
Soca versus Reggae V: The Global Edition – July 29th
Magic Workshop - August 1st to 5th
Summer Sundays in the Park: Lift Your Voices - August 7th
Mambo Nights: City Lights - August 13th
Summer Sundays in the Park: Reggae Vibes - September 4th
Ovarian Cancer - September 8th
G&S: Jesus Christ, Superstar - October 6th to 15th
15th Annual Breast Cancer Fun Walk - October 12th
28th PGA Grand Slam of Golf - October 17th to 19th
Bermuda Interdenominational Women’s Conference - October 20th to 22nd
Mount Saint Agnes Academy Bazaar presents Cirque de MSA - October 21st and 22nd
Taking Care of the Caregiver - December 8th