June 3rd, 2011
Friday, at last!
- First up, a little update about the awesome NTDIB Neon Charity Golf Tournament! There are only about 6 team spaces left so you'd better get your skates on if you want to be one of the cool kids in attendance. Remember, tickets are only on sale until Tuesday, if they don't sell out before then. Also, as a little added extra, Bacci are doing a little BBQ for us before the golf starts, around 6.30pm. This will cost $20 a head. Here's the link to the event on Facebook and here's the link to the original post with full details.
- Snorkel Park Beach has brought back their popular Sundays Live event every Sunday from 12 noon until sunset. Live entertainment will be from Working Title, and the eagerly-awaited first appearance of Conscious Bermuda. This is a family-friendly event with volleyball tournaments, limbo contests, conga-line dancing, games and contests, as well as the beach, jetski tours and watersports. Entry is $10 or free if you are under 12 – here’s the flyer!
- If you can’t restrict your fun times to the weekend, the Snorkel Park Beach Island Beach Party is on Mondays and Thursday and will soon be on Wednesdays too! This is from 8pm until 10pm and has a tropical carnival vibe, featuring a free rum swizzle on entry, a fire limbo show, dancers, gombeys, games and more, with a Beach BBQ available. Admission is $20 or free for under 12s. Here's the flyer!
- The Gilbert and Sullivan Society is continuing to bring the Metropolitan Opera to Bermuda and the next screening will be of Capriccio by Richard Strauss on Saturday, June 11th at 6.30pm. This will be in the Tradewinds Auditorium at BUEI. Formal dress is not required, but is also not discouraged, so feel free to dress up pretty. A cash bar will be available during all intermissions and complimentary hors d’oeuvres will be provided. The link to the Met’s website for the HD broadcasts is www.metoperafamily.org/metopera/broadcast/hd_events_next.aspx. As usual, tickets are $35, available from www.premierticketsglobal.com and all ticket holders are entitled to a 10% discount at the Harbourfront restaurant following the performance upon presentation of their ticket stubs. For more information, see www.gands.bm/opera.htm or contact Matt Nester at email@example.com.
- The MAMA Summer Fair is back on Sunday, June 12th from 3pm until 6pm at Somersfield Academy. There will be train rides, wonder wheel, bouncy castles, kiddie car town, games, story tent, art tent, tattoos, hot dogs and refreshments. Family tickets are $15 in advance or $20 on the door for members, or $30 in advance and on door for non-members. Tickets are available from MAMA playgroups, committee members or email firstname.lastname@example.org - here's the flyer!
- Jana Matusz, Masterworks Artist in Residence for April-June 2011, will have an exhibition of paintings and drawings at the Masterworks Museum opening on Friday, June 17th at 5.30pm and continuing until Wednesday, June 29th. You can see more of Jana's work on her website at www.janamatusz.com. You can also see a preview of her Bermuda paintings and drawings and read about her experiences in Bermuda by visiting her blog at http://janamatusz.wordpress.com.
- A fundraiser in aid of Jeffrey Johnston's medical expenses will be at the Royal Bermuda Yacht Club on Friday, June 17th at 6.30pm. This event will have live entertainment, door prizes, trivia quiz, balloon pop and more with the auction starts at 7.30pm. More information on Jeff is available at jmjtrust.org and you can also make donations there. Tickets are $50 and are available online at www.premierticketsglobal.com - here's the flyer!
- The fabulous folks at BermudaSalsa.com have upped the ante for this summer with a new schedule of weekly events. Some are dance nights, some are live latin music, some have options for dinner too, just click on the day for full details. SalsaMania Mondays at Bone Fish Bar & Grill (8pm until midnight until October 17th), SalsaMania Tuesdays at Grotto Bay Beach Resort (8.30pm until midnight until October 18th), SalsaMania Wednesdays at Moon Nightclub & Lounge (8.30pm until 10pm until October 19th), SalsaMania Thursdays at The Cellar (9pm until 11.30pm), SalsaMania Fridays at Latin Restaurant/Rumba'r (8.30pm until midnight until October 21st) and SalsaMania Sundays are back at Bone Fish Bar & Grill (2pm until 5pm until October 23rd).
- For anyone who enjoys being out on the water (that’ll be most of us then!), the Royal Bermuda Yacht Club has a great summer of sailing planned for both kids and adults. There is a selection of courses for kids aged 5 and over – information can be found at www.rbyc.bm/Default.aspx?tabid=188 under the sailing forms column on the right side. Adults can enjoy sailing on Tuesday evenings or Saturday mornings and all the information can be found at www.rbyc.bm/Default.aspx?tabid=485. If you have any questions about sailing, contact Nicole Butterworth in the Sailing Office.
- The Department of Community and Cultural Affairs is now welcoming applications for their unique Folklife Apprenticeship Programme, with the aim of fostering the growth of a younger generation of tradition-bearers in Bermuda. The programme pairs a tradition-bearer with an interested apprentice (aged between 18 and 35) for an 80-hour apprenticeship beginning July 2011 and concluding no later than March 2012. This year's apprenticeships are St. David’s Cooking and Heritage with Rickilee Pitcher, Storytelling with Florenz Webbe Maxwell, Jazz Music Tradition with Ronald Lightbourne, Model Boat Carving and Woodcrafts with Milton Hill and Fitted Dinghy Racing with Mark Soares - here's the flyer with more details!
Quick Recap of Upcoming Bermuda Events
Click on the event name to be taken to the original post with full details. No link means that the details are in this current post. For a handy Calendar view, click here to go to the Bermuda Calendar section:
Sunsmart Accreditation Programme - May 1st to June 30th
Pierangelo Lanfranchi Photo Exhibit - May 20th to June 15th
8th Annual Bishop’s Luncheon - June 3rd
Canaries' I'm on a Boat Booze Cruise - June 3rd
Bermuda Fashion Collective Show - June 3rd
L'Alliance Française Pétanque Soirée - June 3rd
St. Paul's Fundraising Concert - June 4th
Flirtini Party - June 4th
Hiscox U11 Celebrity Cricket Festival - June 4th
The Stop Light Party - June 4th
5th Annual Family Centre Golf Tournament - June 9th
NTDIB Neon: 1st Charity Golf Tournament - June 10th
Pre-Father’s Day Captain’s Choice Tournament - June 11th
TORC's Ultimate Drivers Challenge - June 11th
Heineken Wet and Wild Party at Snorkel Park - June 11th
G&S Opera: Capriccio – June 11th
Miss Bermuda Pageant - June 12th
MAMA Summer Fair – June 12th
Six Sigma Ranch Winemaker’s Dinner - June 14th
Bermuda Open Stroke Play Championship - June 16th to 19th
Jeffrey Johnston Fundraiser at RBYC – June 17th
Jana Matusz Exhibition – June 17th to 29th
Tag Days 2011 - June 17th and 18th
Girl Power Bermuda - June 18th
The St. David’s Islanders and Native Community’s Biannual Pow Wow - June 18th and 19th
1st Annual Colour the Sky Event - June 20th
United Dance Productions Annual Dance Recital - June 24th and 25th
Capital G 23rd Annual Iron Kids Triathlon - June 25th
Gorilla Doctors (The Lecture Series) - June 28th and 29th
Bad Girls Gone Wild – The Wet Wet Edition - July 2nd
Summer Sundays in the Park: Rockin' de Rock - July 3rd
Bermuda Hockey Federation Summer Camp - July 4th to 8th
Youth Library Summer Day Camp - July 4th to 27th
BMDS: Much Ado About Nothing - July 17th to 24th
Summer Music Camp - July 18th to 22nd
Magic Workshop - August 1st to 5th
Summer Sundays in the Park: Lift Your Voices - August 7th
Mambo Nights: City Lights - August 13th
Summer Sundays in the Park: Reggae Vibes - September 4th
Ovarian Cancer - September 8th
G&S: Jesus Christ, Superstar - October 6th to 15th
15th Annual Breast Cancer Fun Walk - October 12th
28th PGA Grand Slam of Golf - October 17th to 19th
Bermuda Interdenominational Women’s Conference - October 20th to 22nd
Mount Saint Agnes Academy Bazaar presents Cirque de MSA - October 21st and 22nd
Taking Care of the Caregiver - December 8th