July 13th, 2011
Was it this hot last summer or have I just become a wuss? Here's what's going on in Bermuda:
- You may have noticed the new ladies' clothing store, Daisy's, at 11 Front Street, across from the old Bank of Bermuda. The Daisy's Grand Launch will be this Friday, July 15th from 5.30pm until 9pm where they will be celebrating with free cocktails, hors d'oeuvres, late night shopping and special guest Dolita, international designer to Lady Gaga, Beyonce and Tyra Banks! If you spend over $250 on the night, you will be entered into a draw to win two tickets to Paris. Here's the link to the event on Facebook. Also from next week, Daisy's will be celebrating Happy Hour every Wednesday and Friday from 5.30pm until 9pm, again with complimentary cocktails, hors d'oeuvres and late-night shopping!
- Another new Happy Hour is starting at Riddell's Bay this Friday. From 5pm and throughout the night, drinks will be $5 from 5pm through the duration of the evening. In addition, diners will be able to enjoy Chef's Early Bird Dinner specials, which change weekly, from 5.30pm until 7pm. Dinner is $21.95 for adults, $11 for children 11 and under, and free for children aged 4 and under. Here's the flyer!
- And if that isn't enough for you, there is ANOTHER Happy Hour option. Fusion aims to unite young Christian adults (over-18s) of various ethnicities and denominations through a series of after-work summer socials. Running from 5.30pm until 9.30pm at Plaza Cafe, this begins on Friday, July 15th and continues every other Friday until September 23rd, except July 27th. There will be a different themed event featuring live performances, spoken word, games, music, fashion, art and local vendors. These events are free and there will be food and non-alcoholic drinks available at special prices - here's the flyer!
- Sad that Wimbledon is over for another year? Then you're in luck as the first serve of the annual Argus Open Tennis Tournament will take place on Saturday, July 16th, with the final matches scheduled on Saturday, July 23th. This will be held at the W.E.R. Joell Tennis Stadium and is hosted and sanctioned by the Bermuda Lawn Tennis Association. Matches are played from 5pm until 9pm on weekday evenings and from 10am until 4pm at the weekend and players from across the island compete in categories such as Men’s & Ladies’ Open Singles, Senior Men’s & Ladies’ Singles, Men’s and Ladies’ Doubles, Senior Men’s & Ladies’ Doubles, Mixed Doubles and Senior Mixed Doubles. Entry is free to spectators and, as an added incentive to participate or support the players, anyone who attends the Argus Open will be eligible to enter a free prize draw to win a pair of tickets for this year’s U.S. Open in New York. Also as part of this year’s Argus Open, free tennis lessons will be offered to children under the age of 10 by local tennis coaches. The free session will take place on Saturday, July 16th from 10am until 12 noon. Places are limited, so to enrol, parents should email the name and date of birth of their child to email@example.com. Here's the flyer!
- The July edition of the Bermuda Docs Weekend Film Series will be on Sunday, July 17th. Documentary The People vs. George Lucas will be showing at 3pm, followed by French film, The Princess of Montpensier, at 5.15pm. More details on the films can be found at http://bermudadocs.wordpress.com/weekend-film-series-3/. Tickets are $15 and available at Oceans Gift Shop or by phoning 297-7314. Here's the flyer!
- More Cup Match shenanigans, this time at No Boundaries: A Cupmatch Music Fest. This will be at Barrs Bay Park on Wednesday, July 27th from 6pm until 2am and will feature an array of Bermuda's best musicians and singers, including Duty Free, Conscious Bermuda, Uzimon, and The Kennel Boys, with special guest, Bermuda's own Broadway star, Rebecca Faulkenberry. There'll be a full bar service and BBQ from 6pm until 2am, Happy Hour from 6pm until 8pm and a Beer Pong Tent. Regular tickets are $40 before July 25th and $45 after, VIP tickets are $85 which includes BBQ dinner, 2 drinks, VIP tent and front row access. Tickets are available from Dockies, Tuff Doggs and Teachers members and dock space will be available if you reserve with Reed at Dockies. For more details and group rates, contact 296-3333 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Here is the link to the Facebook event and here's the flyer!
- More good news for fans of local talent, A Night of LIVE Bermudian Entertainment by musical director Robert Edwards will be at the Mid-Ocean Theatre at The Fairmont Southampton on Saturday, August 6th. This show is dedicated to showcasing local entertainers and will feature Spellboung, U-Nique, Silhouette and U-Fonics. VIP tickets are $125 and regular tickets are $85 – here's the flyer.
- Riddell's Bay are currently promoting a Summer Golf special at a cost of $70 for a round of golf, which also includes the cart rental. The offer will run from July 12th until September 22nd and available tee times will be all day on Tuesday through Friday, and Saturdays and Sundays after 12 noon. Here's the flyer!
- So much seems to be happening in St. George's lately and the latest news from the east of the island is the launch of CV Cafe! Located next to Conscious Vibes, the new cafe will be offering baked goods, wi-fi internet access, Bailey's ice-cream, fair trade coffee and tea drinks, speciality drinks, books to browse, two pieces of original artwork by Ami Zanders and a piece by Jill Amos Raine – here's the flyer!
Quick Recap of Upcoming Bermuda Events
Click on the event name to be taken to the original post with full details. No link means that the details are in this current post. For a handy Calendar view, click here to go to the Bermuda Calendar section:
Voorhees Joell: Liquid Art Photography Exhibit - July 1st to 19th
Youth Library Summer Day Camp - July 4th to 27th
BEPRO Lunch N’ Learn Series - July 12th
Tequila and Food-Pairing Dinner at Latin - July 13th
Martini Tasting at RBYC - July 15th
Daisy's Grand Launch – July 15th
Happy Hour at Riddell's Bay – July 15th
Fusion Happy Hour Launch – July 15th
Najee Pre-Party Meet and Greet - July 16th
Summer Heatwave - July 16th
Dockie's Black Seal Appreciation Party - July 16th
Argus Open Tennis Tournament – July 16th to 23rd
Najee Concert and Afterparty - July 17th
Bermuda Docs Weekend Film Series – July 17th
BMDS: Much Ado About Nothing - July 17th to 24th
Summer Music Camp - July 18th to 22nd
13th Annual College Students Networking Event - July 21st
G&S Opera: Die Walküre - July 23rd
Bermuda Nights - July 23rd
Community Health and Nutrition Workshops - July 23rd
BPRFC Cheeky Tiki Luau Party - July 27th
Riddell's Bay Last Wednesday Dinner Dance - July 27th
Family Centre Tag Day - July 27th
No Boundaries: A Cupmatch Music Fest – July 27th
Chewstick's Beachfest Emancipation Celebration - July 27th and 28th
CUP MATCH - July 28th to 31st
Soca versus Reggae V: The Global Edition - July 29th
Non-Mariners Race - July 31st
Magic Workshop - August 1st to 5th
Bermuda Nights - August 6th
A Night of LIVE Bermudian Entertainment – August 6th
Summer Sundays in the Park: Lift Your Voices - August 7th
Mambo Nights: City Lights - August 13th
Barmuvinjam Summer Cruise Series -August 20th
Bermuda Nights - August 20th
Bermuda Nights - September 3rd
Summer Sundays in the Park: Reggae Vibes - September 4th
Ovarian Cancer - September 8th
Barmuvinjam Summer Cruise Series - September 17th
Bermuda Nights - September 17th
Bermuda Nights - October 1st
G&S: Jesus Christ, Superstar - October 6th to 15th
15th Annual Breast Cancer Fun Walk - October 12th
Bermuda Nights - October 15th
28th PGA Grand Slam of Golf - October 17th to 19th
Bermuda Interdenominational Women’s Conference - October 20th to 22nd
Mount Saint Agnes Academy Bazaar presents Cirque de MSA - October 21st and 22nd
Taking Care of the Caregiver - December 8th