August 19th, 2011
Happy Friday Kids!
Ah, another weekend is almost upon us.. I already posted this on the Facebook and Twitter Pages but there is a new Page set up to bring together people affected by the bus strike and those who want to help. Hope this is all resolved very soon. Anyway, here's what's happening in Bermuda:
- The bar formerly known as Opus has finally revealed its newest incarnation – the brand new O Bar will be open today.
- The Moonlight Movie Series is back again tonight, this time at #1 Car Park on Front Street. As usual, this is a double feature, the event starts at 7pm, the first film (Rio) airs at 9pm, the second (Source Code) starts at 11pm there will also be an international food court, kiddie land and island entertainment. For more details, see www.moonlightmovieseries.com or their Facebook Page here. **UPDATE: This has been postponed to next week due to the lousy weather.
- Also tonight, endemic productions present Mishka & Fires of Africa at Snorkel Park Beach from 5pm until 11pm. The evening will be full of live music and local talent, featuring Mishka’s first performance in Bermuda in years, as well as Fires of Africa, Conscious Bermuda, Flightline, Flookie, Live Wires, Tiny T and more. Tickets are $20 for regular, $35 for VIP and are available from www.bdatix.com.
- Sorry for anyone who was looking forward to this but Riddell's Bay Movie Night & BBQ Camp Out on the 18th Fairway tomorrow night has been cancelled.
- The Department of Community and Cultural Affairs has announced the launch of Mosaic: A Collection Celebrating Bermuda’s Cultural Heritage, written by Ruth E. Thomas and illustrated by Edwin M.E. Smith. There will be a book launch, signing and public performance at Bermuda National Gallery on Thursday, September 15th. This event is free to the public and light refreshments will be served. The reception begins at 5.30pm, with a performance by Ruth Thomas and Co at 6pm, and the launch night special price for the book will be $15. For any questions, contact Folklife Officer Dr. Kim Dismont on 292-1681 - here’s the flyer!
- ANCOP International (Bermuda) invite you to join them in their 2011 ANCOP Walk in the Botanical Gardens on Sunday, September 18th. ANCOP (ANswering the Cry Of the Poor) in an international network with a mission of improving the quality of life of poor families and to improve the communities where they live through a sustainable and holistic approach. Assembly time is 8am, the walk starts at 9am and this is a 5K Fun Walk open to anyone. Registration Fee is $25, of which $5 is automatically allocated to the benefit of the local charities and projects such as the St. Vincent de Paul Society (outreach to the poor), the Centre Against Abuse (secure shelter and recovery support from domestic violence) and other ANCOP local projects. The First 100 registrants will receive a free t-shirt. To register email email@example.com or register online at www.Racedayworld.com. For more information visit www.ancopbermuda.com - here's the flyer!
- They haven’t done this one for a couple of years but the Mariners RFC "M" Party is back! This will be on Saturday, September 24th at the usual venue of the Mariners Club on Richmond Road. Dress code is “something beginning with the letter M” so think monsters, mermaids, mobsters – let your imagination go wild! Doors open at 8pm, there will be an open bar, DJ Einstein on the decks and the fun goes on until 1am. Tickets are $60 and are available from firstname.lastname@example.org or any player – here’s the flyer!
- In an effort to cheer up the poor tourists, Bermuda Bistro at the Beach are offering a Strike Special. Simply show your room or cabin card and you will receive a 50% discount on any food purchased from 5pm until midnight until August 31st. 17% gratuities will be added to the original total.
Quick Recap of Upcoming Bermuda Events
Click on the event name to be taken to the original post with full details. No link means that the details are in this current post. For a handy Calendar view, click here to go to the Bermuda Calendar section:
Weakness for Sweetness, Ol School Reggae Night - August 19th
Moonlight Movie Series: Rio and Source Code – August 19th 26th
Mishka & Fires of Africa at Snorkel Park – August 19th
Barmuvinjam Summer Cruise Series -August 20th
Bermuda Nights - August 20th
DanceSations Summer Dance Show 2011 - August 20th
NTDIB Neon: Charity Night Golf - August 20th
Wine Tasting & Sunset Boat Cruise - August 20th
Movie Night & BBQ Camp Out on the 18th Fairway - August 20th
Docksiders Back to School Rave - August 20th
Bermuda Docs Weekend Film Series - August 21st
Art in the Park - August 21st
Water World Family Fun Day - August 22nd to 26th
2011 Bermuda Gospel Festival - August 25th to 27th
Wine 101: Intro to Wine - August 27th
Bermuda Beach Smash 2011 - August 27th and 28th
To Live is to Dream, to Dream is to Live - September 1st and 2nd
Fusion Happy Hour - September 2nd
Bermuda National Gallery Autumn Exhibition Opening - September 2nd
Bermuda Nights - September 3rd
Boys and Literacy - September 3rd
Summer Sundays in the Park: Reggae Vibes - September 4th
Ovarian Cancer - September 8th
Mosaic Book Launch - September 15th
Fusion Happy Hour - September 16th
Barmuvinjam Summer Cruise Series - September 17th
Bermuda Nights - September 17th
2011 ANCOP Walk – September 18th
BMDS Famous for Fifteen Minutes - September 22nd to October 1st
Mariners RFC "M" Party – September 24th
Fusion Happy Hour - September 30th
Bermuda Nights - October 1st
G&S: Jesus Christ, Superstar - October 6th to 15th
15th Annual Breast Cancer Fun Walk - October 12th
Bermuda Nights - October 15th
28th PGA Grand Slam of Golf - October 17th to 19th
Bermuda Interdenominational Women’s Conference - October 20th to 22nd
Mount Saint Agnes Academy Bazaar presents Cirque de MSA - October 21st and 22nd
Taking Care of the Caregiver - December 8th
Have a wonderful weekend everyone!