September 9th, 2011
Happy Friday Kids!!
Bit of a mammoth edition for you today – you can tell that summer is ending when more organised events pop up. Here's what's going on in Bermuda:
- Discovery Wines have released details of their September Wine Classes. The first will be on Saturday, September 10th at Harry’s from 10am until noon with a grape focus on Syrah and Syrah blends. Topics covered include Review of the major world wine production areas, Focus on vintage and how the varying vintages are affected by weather, and Rhone Valley wines (Chateauneuf du Pape all the way north to Cote Rotie). The cost is $35 per person, $30 for Wine Club Members and includes wines for tasting and handouts. Another class will be on Saturday, September 24th, same time, same location, same price with a grape focus on Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Noir and a region focus on Marlborough, New Zealand. The guest lecturer will be Ben Cowley, winemaker for Auntsfield Estate, New Zealand. Spaces are limited and can be reserved from Kristen at firstname.lastname@example.org or 331-WINE (9463). Here's the flyer!
- The monthly Ciné Club from L'Alliance Française des Bermudes will be showing Micsmacs at BUEI on Tuesday, September 13th at 8pm. Tickets are $5 for members, $8 for non-members and $3 students. Full details can be found at www.alliancefrancaise.bm.
- Happy Hour season is on its way out so let’s try and cram in as many as possible while we still can. Discovery Wines & Food 4 Thought Catering are giving us a Thursday option next week, September 15th as they are hosting a Happy Hour Food & Wine Pairing at Tribe Road Kitchen. This will run from 5.30pm until 7.30pm and the cost is $50 per person – space is limited to contact Karen Jones on 333-9463 or email@example.com to book. Here's the flyer!
- Discovery Wines are also hosting a Celebration of New Zealand Winemaker Dinner on Saturday, September 24th. This begins at 6.30pm with a Sunset Cruise on the Great Sound, followed by a 4 Course Wine Dinner at Harry’s Restaurant. This will be presented by Ben Cowley from Auntsfield Estate and Duncan Forsyth from Mount Edward. The cost is $200 per person and includes the sunset cruise, 9 wines, dinner and gratuities. To reserve, contact Harry’s at 292-5533 - here's the flyer!
- Disappointed by the postponement of Famous for 15 Minutes? The Bermuda Musical & Dramatic Society (BMDS) are proud to present the award-winning comedy from Welsh playwright Frank Vickery, A Kiss on the Bottom, directed by Nicole Edmunds Burgess. The show will run from Monday, September 26th until Saturday, October 1st with tickets on sale from September 17th. For further information, or to buy online, see www.bmds.bm - here's the flyer!
- Movement is what it's all about at the Celebrating Wellness event at Victoria Park on Wednesday, September 28th. From 5pm until 8pm, you’ll have access to Health Screening, Healthy Food and Health Information as well as activities to get you moving, such as zumba, line-dancing, tai-chi, spinning, old-fashioned games, Bermuda National Drum Line, Northlands Jump Rope Team and a bounce house. Here’s the flyer (the flyer has the old date of September 8th)!
- After its successful comeback last year, the Bermuda Police Service Gymkhana is returning for 2011! This popular community event is open to all students and will take place on Saturday, October 1st at Police Field in Prospect, Devonshire from 10am. All that is required to take part is a working bicycle with brakes and an approved bicycle helmet and includes a pop-a-wheelie contest, last man out race, slowest rider race, sprint race and team relay. This event, which kicks off Police Week 2010, is one of the many ways the Bermuda Police Service is helping to improve relations between the police and the community – here's the poster!
- The next of the Historical Heartbeats Lecture Series will be Designing Bermuda’s Tourist Boom:A Study in Black and White on Wednesday, October 5th from 7pm at Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute. This will be in the form of a talk by Dr. Duncan McDowall, University Historian at Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario. This is a free event – for more details, contact Folklife Officer Dr. Kim Dismont Robinson on 292-1681, or see the website at www.communityandculture.bm - here's the flyer!
- For all you parents out there interested in educating your children off-island, there are 40 American Boarding Schools coming to visit Bermuda in October. There will be two Boarding School Fairs, each from 5pm until 8pm at the Fairmont Hamilton Princess. The first will present Junior Boarding Schools (ages 10 -15) on Thursday, October 6th and will show traditional schools offering additional academic support as well as schools specializing in Learning Differences, ADHD, NLD, Dyslexia. The second will be the following week on Thursday, October 13th and will showcase Mid-Atlantic Boarding Schools in NY, NC, TN, NJ, VA and GA. These are academically competitive schools and traditional Schools offering additonal acadmic support
Quick Recap of Upcoming Bermuda Events
Click on the event name to be taken to the original post with full details. No link means that the details are in this current post. For a handy Calendar view, click here to go to the Bermuda Calendar section:
Showoff Magazine Amazing Faces Makeover Event at Phoenix - September 9th and 10th
Bermuda Folk Club Open Mic Night - September 10th
Discovery Wines Wine Class – September 10th
Gombey Festival 2011 - September 11th
BMRC 2011 National Championship Race - September 11th
L'Alliance Française des Bermudes Ciné Club: Micsmacs – September 13th
A.F. Smith Real Business Live Event - September 14th
Mosaic Book Launch - September 15th
BIFFlix: Gun Hill Road - September 15th
Showoff Magazine Amazing Faces Contest Deadline - September 15th
Happy Hour Food & Wine Pairing at Tribe Road Kitchen – September 15th
Fusion Happy Hour - September 16th
Barmuvinjam Summer Cruise Series - September 17th
Bermuda Nights - September 17th
2011 ANCOP Walk - September 18th
Mariners RFC "M" Party - September 24th
Discovery Wines Wine Class – September 24th
Celebration of New Zealand Winemaker Dinner – September 24th
BMDS: A Kiss on the Bottom – September 26th to October 1st
Celebrating Wellness – September 28th
Fusion Happy Hour - September 30th
Riddell's Bay Seafood Buffet Extravaganza - September 30th
Bermuda Nights - October 1st
Bermuda Police Service Gymkhana – October 1st
G&S: Jesus Christ, Superstar - October 6th to 15th
Historical Heartbeats Lecture Series - Designing Bermuda’s Tourist Boom:A Study in Black and White – October 5th
Junior Boarding School Fairs – October 6th
15th Annual Breast Cancer Fun Walk - October 12th
Mid-Atlantic Boarding Schools Fair – October 13th
Bermuda Nights - October 15th
Puppet Master - October 15th
28th PGA Grand Slam of Golf - October 17th to 19th
Bermuda Interdenominational Women’s Conference - October 20th to 22nd
Mount Saint Agnes Academy Bazaar presents Cirque de MSA - October 21st and 22nd
NTDIB Neon: Charity Halloween Golf Tournament - October 22nd
Bermuda Kennel Club’s 2011 Bermuda Dog Shows - October 23rd and 24th
Bermuda Diabetes Association Vegas Night - October 29th
Taking Care of the Caregiver - December 8th