October 19th, 2011
Thanks so much to everyone who nominated me for a TechAward, you lovely people! I was a top 3 finalist in the category Best Use of Social Media, in the esteemed company of fellow finalist Bermuda Sun and winner Bernews. Big Congratulations to the winners in all the other categories too, including BermyDeals.bm, Alexandra Mosher and Go Explore Bermuda - here's a Royal Gazette article on the 2011 Technology Innovation Awards ceremony with a picture of all the winners and finalists – see if you can spot me!
- NTDIB Neon: Charity Halloween Golf Tournament has sold out! Well, it had until I decided to add MORE capacity so I'll be putting tickets on sale for a few extra days – snap 'em up quick! Remember that proceeds go to New Beginnings, – a great new charity which gives young Bermudians access to education and professional development. Thanks again to our lovely sponsors Amstel Light for providing prizes! As an added extra, Eve's Garden are generously offering a 10% discount to any golfers who purchase their Halloween costume from them – they have both male and female selections, so simply show your ticket to avail of this. Tickets and full details are available from www.premiertickets.bm - and if anyone sees any of the PGA boys, invite them along!
- Lemon Tree are celebrating Oktoberfest this week with special German-themed lunches, culminating in their Oktoberfest Party at Happy Hour on Friday night. Each day this week you can enjoy a $2 Beck's with lunch, including dishes such as wienerschnitzel, german potato salad, spaetzle dumplings, beef borscht and more. Friday Night Happy Hour will include a 2 for 1 on Beck's from 5pm until 9pm - here's the flyer!
- The talented students at CedarBridge Academy invite you to an encore performance of William Shakespeare's The Tempest on Thursday, October 20th. This play has special ties to Bermuda since it is rumoured that the story was inspired by the Sea Venture shipwreck. The show will be at Black Box Theatre at CedarBridge Academy at 7pm. Tickets are $15 and available from www.bdatix.com - here's the flyer!
- A good opportunity to stock up your wine racks, as the Bermuda Society of the Arts (BSoA) present their Solid Gold Wine and Cheese Tasting event on Friday, October 28th. This will be at the usual location of BSoA Galleries (top floor of City Hall) and Michael Robinson from Burrows Lightbourn will present a selection of top rated wines, Supermart will be serving European speciality cheeses and, best of all, there will be a chocolate experience to finish the tasting in style! The wines have been specially selected with the holidays in mind and tasters will be entitled to a 10% discount on 12 bottles (can be mixed) plus a 13th bottle free. Doors open at 5.30pm, the tasting begins at 6pm and tickets are available from www.bdatix.com costing $40 for members, $45 for non-members or $350 for a table of 10 – here's the flyer!
- Another one to add to the list of Halloween events, Blackbeard's Hideout at the St. George's Club would like to invite you to their Halloween Bash on Saturday, October 29th. This is their close of season event and they will be serving dinner from 6pm until 9pm with special Happy Hour drinks prices, live entertainment from Next Level and dancing until 11pm. For reservations, call 297-1400 or book a table online at www.Table.bm - here's the flyer!
- The Pickled Onion are also hosting a Halloween Party on Saturday, October 29th from 10pm. Entry is free with music by DJ Siid James as well as the farewell performance from their live band 5 Star – here's the flyer!
- Good news for everyone who has missed it – the Olde Town Market will restart on Sunday, October 30th from 2pm until 5.30pm on Water Street and Market Wharf in St. George's. This street market is aimed at locals and residents and will feature vendors selling arts and crafts, a pedlars' market, fish, local foods, fresh local produce and St. George's shopping and dining. This season will run until December 18th. If you are interested in being a vendor, contact email@example.com or see their website at www.oldetownemarket.com - here's the flyer!
- The next edition of the BIFFlix Monthly Film Series is coming on Sunday, October 30th! The October screening will be the romantic comedy, Certified Copy, at 5.30pm at BUEI. This is a critically-accliamed 2010 drama from Iranian writer and director Abbas Kiarostami, starring Juliette Binoche and the British opera singer William Shimell, in his first film role. Tickets are $9 for members, $13 for non-members and are available in advance from http://tickets.biff.bm - here's the flyer!
- It's almost time for the Caledonian Society of Bermuda's St. Andrew's Ball 2011! This year is our 75th Anniversary so we are pulling out all the stops to make it a night to remember! The Ball will take place at the Fairmont Southampton on Saturday, November 26th and you do NOT need to be Scottish to attend – you just have to enjoy good food, good company, drinking, dancing or any combination of those. The event kicks off with a cocktail reception from 6.30pm until 7.30pm. We are seated at 8pm for dinner, served after the Grand March and MC’s welcome. The four-course dinner will be followed by the ceilidh portion of the evening (Scottish dancing, pronounced kay-lee), with live music from the Bermuda Islands Pipe Band, and then you can dance the night away until 2am with DJ King Arthur. Don’t worry if you don’t know the moves – we will teach you! There will be a free practice run at Spanish Point Boat Club the Police Recreation Club on the Wednesday before the Ball (November 23rd from 7pm until 9.30pm) to show you the basics. The practice run is a great night out in itself but, even if you miss that, you will be able to pick it up easily on the night. Any of you who have been before can testify that it’s not that complicated – after all, these dances were originally designed for drunken Scottish people to be able to do! As well as the pipe band leading everyone into the ballroom after cocktail hour, there will be an exhibition of highland dancing by some junior members of the Bermuda Island Pipe Band Highland Dancers. Please note that we will NOT be hosting our annual Hogmanay/New Year's Eve Ball this year so, if you usually go to one or the other, we have made the decision very easy for you this year. Dress code is black tie and tickets are $180 each, including everything but additional drinks. Tickets can be purchased for individuals, couples or whole tables (tables are either for 10 or 12 people). Ian Hind will be coordinating the seating arrangements – please contact him at IHind@becl.bm and arrange to meet him with the cash to collect your tickets, otherwise you can pay online at www.premiertickets.bm. Whichever way you choose, make sure you get your ticket for what is sure to be our biggest and best event yet! Here's the flyer and here's the link to the event on Facebook.
- We all missed it last year but the Bermuda Boat Parade is back in 2011! Now being held every two years, this year's Boat Parade will be on Saturday, December 10th (rain date Sunday, December 11th) and will begin at 6.30pm, departing from the Fairmont Hamilton Princess and travelling clockwise around White's Island. There are prizes for the best boats in ten categories and entry is free. To be eligible for any awards, your boat must be registered before noon on December 7th – you can reserve online at www.bermudaboatparade.bm. As an added incentive, the first 50 boats to sign up will receive a $300 Lindo's Group of Companies gift certificate!
Quick Recap of Upcoming Bermuda Events
Click on the event name to be taken to the original post with full details. No link means that the details are in this current post. For a handy Calendar view, click here to go to the Bermuda Calendar section:
Re-Interpreting the European Collection - September 1st to May 31st, 2012
28th PGA Grand Slam of Golf - October 17th to 19th
Oktoberfest at Lemon Tree - October 17th to 21st
Bermuda Interdenominational Women’s Conference - October 20th to 22nd
Zumba Party - October 20th
Cedarbridge Academy presents William Shakespeare's The Tempest – October 20th
Mount Saint Agnes Academy Bazaar presents Cirque de MSA - October 21st and 22nd
Sybil's Dynamic Female Impersonators 9th Annual International Diva Fest - October 21st and 22nd
Bermuda Documentary Film Festival (Bermuda Docs) - October 21st to 23rd
Annual Denim Day - October 21st
Gibbon’s Company Charity Shopping Day - October 21st
Annual Friday Fish Fry – October 21st
Masterworks Chili Cook Off - October 21st
NTDIB Neon: Charity Halloween Golf Tournament - October 22nd
Dream Dare Dance 3rd Annual Dream Big Conference for Women - October 22nd
Blue Water Divers Halloween Dive - October 23rd
Bermuda Kennel Club’s 2011 Bermuda Dog Shows - October 23rd and 24th
Mid-Term Scholar Academy - October 24th to 28th
Breast Health Talk Presentation - October 27th
DeRay Davis and Aries Spears Comedy Show - October 28th
SalsaMania's Halloween Jammy Jam - October 28th
Solid Gold Wine and Cheese Tasting – October 28th
Bermuda Diabetes Association Vegas Night - October 29th
TRFC Annual Halloween Bash - October 29th
Fet!sh Halloween Party at Ferrari Bar - October 29th
Super Saturday at Masterworks: Halloween - October 29th
Barmuvinjam and Secrets Annual Halloween Bash - October 29th
Artists Meeting Space - October 29th
Peace Lutheran Church Fall Bazaar - October 29th
BUEI Underwater Underworld: Annual Halloween Spooktacular - October 29th
Annual Mariners RFC Halloween Party - October 29th
REA Fashions: Fall Fashions Wardrobe - October 29th
Blackbeard's Hideout Halloween Bash – October 29th
Pickled Onion Halloween Party – October 29th
Blue Water Divers Halloween Dive - October 30th
Walk to Remember - October 30th
BIFFlix Monthly Film Series: Certified Copy – October 30th
Olde Town Market restarts – October 30th
Royal Naval Nights Halloween Edition - October 31st
St. Andrew's Ball Dance Practice – November 23rd
Caledonian Society of Bermuda's St. Andrew's Ball – November 26th
Taking Care of the Caregiver - December 8th
BMDS Pantomime: Cinderella - December 8th to 17th
Bermuda Boat Parade – December 10th