October 26th, 2011
Time to start stocking up on the Alka Seltzer - World Rugby Classic Week is coming soon and there's nowhere to hide! I have a little WRC special at the end of this post so that you have a breakdown of what is going on each night. First, some other Bermuda events:
- Muse Rooftop Skybar is hosting the first ever Mike & Megan Party tonight from 6pm! This may sound like the most random thing you’ve ever heard but apparently a bartender at Muse was told that Mike and Megan are the most popular names, so they are testing this out by challenging all the Mikes and Megans in Bermuda to come out and celebrate their name. Bring your ID and a non-Mike/Megan friend and enjoy $5 drinks (beer, wine and a special Mike & Megan cocktail) and music from DJ Don from 6pm until 10pm. You can also email them at Lee@muse.bm to enter their draw for Mike & Megan celebration raffle prizes – here’s the flyer!
- One of the few events this weekend that doesn't require you to wear a costume – N'tertainment presents Don’t Talk To Me Like That from Thursday, October 27th until Saturday, October 29th at City Hall. This comedic play is written and directed by Patricia D. Nesbitt and stars Bermuda’s sibling entertainers Nadanja and Nishanthi in four different roles (including Norman and Sia). The show also features Rhonda Daniels, Tyrone Smith, Roddy Nesbitt, Sharise Clarke, Mitchell Trott and Kimlee Hewey. Showtimes are 8pm on Thursday, October 27th and Friday, October 28th and 6pm and 9pm on Saturday, October 29th (please note that the 9pm Saturday night show will contain mature language). Regular tickets are $35, patron tickets are $50 and they are available from C-Travel or Shine’s House of Music & Entertainment. For more information, contact 337-6501, 704-4515 or email email@example.com – here's the flyer!
- Just when you thought I already told you about all the Halloween costume parties, here’s another one – R.F.C. Productions present a School Uniform 90s Dance on Saturday, October 29th at Bay Club. This will be from 9.30pm until 4am and will feature Florida’s Poison Dart and Bermuda’s own Soul Jah-1. Entry is $20 with a uniform and $30 without – here's the flyer!
- To celebrate all the new art galleries and studios popping up on that side of the island, the St. George's Artists Alliance invite you to Art Walk in the East, a unique bohemian style event on Saturday, November 12th from 5.30pm until 8pm. The CV Cafe will be offering free-trade coffee and live music – after this, you can saunter through all the studios and galleries as well as the new tattoo parlor, the Endemic Art Collective, where you can view the magical interior structures that Gary Macpherson has created out of recycled materials. This event will include live music, spaces for artists to display their art and baked goods for sale. As if all this isn't enough, Chris Dawson will also have the official opening of his Fine Art Studio - here's the flyer!
- The Humpback Whale Research and Film Project will be showing the locally-filmed documentary, Where the Whales Sing, at 6.30 pm on Thursday, November 17th at Bermuda College in their amphitheatre Room G301. Producer/director Andrew Stevenson will be selling DVDs of the film and also signing copies of his new book, Whale Song: Journeys into the Secret Lives of the North Atlantic humpbacks. Further information on the project can be obtained at http://www.whalesbermuda.com/. Tickets are $10, available from www.bdatix.com and proceeds go to support the Humpback Whale Film and Research Project.
Now, back to World Rugby Classic Week! Full details are on www.worldrugby.bm but I thought it would be useful to have it listed out. **UPDATE: Due to the weather damage, everything has been postponed until Tuesday** I'll add in anything else as I find out about it:
- The First Round Matches will be on Tuesday, November 8th and gates open at 5.30pm. The first game is New Zealand vs. the United States (A) at 7.15pm, followed by Classic Lions vs. the Italy (B) at 8.30pm. From 10pm, there will be entertainment in the Tent Tavern from Music Maniac DJ Leigh Hawke.
- On Wednesday, November 9th, gates open at 5.30pm with Argentina vs. South Africa (C) at 7.15pm and Australia vs. Canada (D) at 8.30pm. More entertainment from DJ Leigh Hawke will be in the Tent Tavern from 10pm.
- Loser A will play Loser B in the Plate Semi-Final on Thursday, November 10th. Hmm..actually, I do not like the term loser – let’s say championly-challenged instead. Anyway, at 8.30pm is the Classic Semi-Final with Winner A vs. Winner B and DJ Leigh Hawke in the Tent Tavern from 10pm.
- The Semi Finals will be on Friday, November 11th. Times still have to be finalised but Bermuda Select will play Montreal Irish at TBDpm. The Plate Semi-Final at 4.30pm will pit Championly-Challenged C against Championly-Challenged D, and the Classic Semi-Final at 5.45pm will have Winner C against Winner D. From TBDpm, there will be live music from the Kennel Boys in the Tent Tavern.
- By the last day, Saturday, November 12th, you can expect to see a lot of ill-looking people who have aged about ten years due to a combination of alcohol consumption and lack of sleep. Gates open at 4pm for 2011 Finals Day. This will kick off with Bermuda Barbarians vs. Atlanta at 5pm, followed by the Plate Final at 6.30pm, the Classic Final at 8pm and then the Farewell Party in the Tent Tavern with the Kennel Boys from 10pm.
Don't worry if you had got your tickets in advance, Sunday tickets will be honoured on Friday and Monday tickets will be honoured today. There are a few different options for admission:
- The Members Tent is the premier facility at the Classic. Here sponsors and guests can enjoy sit-down lunches or dinner (depending on playing time), wine with meals, an open bar and seating right behind the goal-line. A limited number of badges are available for the five match days at a cost of $1,125 per person. Daily badges are also available at at cost of $250 for Tuesday and Friday, $275 for Wednesday and Thursday, and $325 for Saturday. For tickets, you can contact the WRC Office on 278-1446 or contact John Kane here.
- The Classic Club membership package entitles you to daily entrance to the National Sports Centre and the Classic Club Tent, a larger tented area with exclusive seating and viewing area, four free drink tokens per person per day, reduced bar prices, and a light supper/lunch (depending on playing time) before the start of play. The daily rate is $150 per person or $250 per couple, except for November 12th when the price is $200 per person or $350 per couple. A 5-day pass costs $650 per person or $1,000 per couple – prices are negotiable for groups of 20 or more. The Classic Club tent is also the facility set aside for the players and their wives to congregate, so you have the opportunity to meet, talk and drink with them. To order, contact Martine Purssell on 298-1220 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you’d rather just have general admission, daily game passes are $25 or $100 for a 5-day pass and are available now at the Island Shop, Queen Street, Hamilton.
Moon Nightclub and Lounge and the Cellar are offering all rugby players $6 beers and hi-balls with a free round of shots for that day's winners. Luckily us non-atheletes will be catered for too as rubgy fans will also have some special drinks prices – here's the flyer!
Quick Recap of Upcoming Bermuda Events
Click on the event name to be taken to the original post with full details. No link means that the details are in this current post. For a handy Calendar view, click here to go to the Bermuda Calendar section:
Re-Interpreting the European Collection - September 1st to May 31st, 2012
Mid-Term Scholar Academy - October 24th to 28th
Diwali, the Festival of Lights at Indigo - October 26th
Mike & Megan Party at Muse – October 26th
Breast Health Talk Presentation - October 27th
Don’t Talk To Me Like That – October 27th to 29th
DeRay Davis and Aries Spears Comedy Show - October 28th
SalsaMania's Halloween Jammy Jam - October 28th
Solid Gold Wine and Cheese Tasting - October 28th
Friday Night Fright at Moon - October 28th
Bermuda Diabetes Association Vegas Night - October 29th
TRFC Annual Halloween Bash - October 29th
Fet!sh Halloween Party at Ferrari Bar - October 29th
Super Saturday at Masterworks: Halloween - October 29th
Barmuvinjam and Secrets Annual Halloween Bash - October 29th
Artists Meeting Space - October 29th
Peace Lutheran Church Fall Bazaar - October 29th
BUEI Underwater Underworld: Annual Halloween Spooktacular - October 29th
Annual Mariners RFC Halloween Party - October 29th
REA Fashions: Fall Fashions Wardrobe - October 29th
Blackbeard's Hideout Halloween Bash - October 29th
Pickled Onion Halloween Party - October 29th
Pre-Halloween Teen Blackout - October 29th
Lost Souls Halloween Party - October 29th
School Uniform 90s Dance – October 29th
Blue Water Divers Halloween Dive - October 30th
Walk to Remember - October 30th
BIFFlix Monthly Film Series: Certified Copy - October 30th
Olde Town Market restarts - October 30th
Crimestoppers 5K Walk and Road Race - October 30th
Royal Naval Nights Halloween Edition - October 31st
Riddell's Bay First Wednesday of the Month Dining Offer - November 2nd
Introduction to Improv Theatre Workshop Begins - November 2nd
Bermuda SPCA Animal Expo and Fair 2011 - November 5th
Brunch at Griffin's Bistro restarts - November 6th
World Rugby Classic Week – November 6th to 12th
First Round Matches – November 8th to 9th
Semi-Finals – November 10th to 11h
2011 Finals Day and Farewell Party - November 12th
James Richardson presents The Beautiful Things Concert - November 11th and 12th
Art Walk in the East – November 12th
Where the Whales Sing – November 17th
CamBeach Lunch & Learn: In Case of Emergency Break Glass - November 19th
St. Andrew's Ball Dance Practice - November 23rd
Caledonian Society of Bermuda's St. Andrew's Ball - November 26th
Bermuda National Trust Christmas Walkabout - December 2nd
Taking Care of the Caregiver - December 8th
BMDS Pantomime: Cinderella - December 8th to 17th
Bermuda Boat Parade - December 10th
New Year's Eve with Dave Bootle - December 31st