October 4th, 2011
Morning Ladies and Gents!
Summer might be over but there is still lots happening in BDA:
- Due to overwhelming demand, a FOURTH showing of the Bermuda Docs Weekend Film Series choice for September, The First Grader will be at BUEI tonight at 6.30pm. More details on the films can be found at http://bermudadocs.wordpress.com/weekend-film-series-3/. Tickets are $15 and available at Oceans Gift Shop or by phoning 297-7314.
- Also tonight is Reasnin', Chewstick's series of artist talks. The featured artist will be Michael Walsh, who will address the theory of his installation 'Evoking Nothing', (2009), which is layers of cardboard wrapped around a void. Laura Lyons, volunteer facilitator of this project believes that this session will hinge around why Michael is an artist, how he got there, and what he thinks makes art, art. This starts at 7pm and will be at the usual location of the Chewstick Neo-Griot Lounge and Cafe. For more information call 292-2439 (CHEW) or email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.chewstick.org.
- Starting tomorrow, Wednesday, October 5th, Quiz Night at Bermuda Bistro at the Beach is back! This starts at 8pm with cash prizes!
- Riddell's Bay Golf & Country Club will be hosting their First Wednesday of the Month Dining Offer tomorrow, October 5th where they will be offering dinner without any restrictions from 6pm until 8pm at the set price of £38 for adults, $19 for children aged 5-12 and free for under-4s. Music is by pianist James Richardson - here's the flyer!
- To celebrate Vegetarian Awareness Month, the Vegetarian Society of Bermuda will be presenting Chewstick Block Docs: Forks Over Knives, a film that examines the claim that most, if not all, of the degenerative diseases that afflict us can be controlled, or even reversed, by rejecting animal-based and processed foods. Block Docs are free but donations are encouraged. This will be at Chewstick Neo-Griot Lounge & Cafe from 6.30pm on Thursday, October 6th.
- This Thursday, October 6th, is the first one of the month, which means that it's time for another edition of the Moonlight Bazaar at Moon Nightclub and Lounge. This will feature Let's Do It Again Boutique (who will be holding a fashion display of hot fall trends), Private Pleasures (who will not only have their usual selection of "toys" but an exclusive sexy Halloween costume fashion show as well), Rene Hill's original collection of crochet luxury decolletes, Megan and Alicia with their Lotus Collection, D & T Bijoux will have vintage handbags and select jewellery for fall season (all under $25), Fatimaya will be featuring blazers and statement jewellery, and International make up artist Christopher Vee will be consulting on "find your pink" with Body Shop Products and an airbrush demo. This is in addition to the usual assortment of accessories, clothing, pedicures, manicures, massages and the Moon Cocktail List. As usual, this will be from 5.30pm until 9pm with the DJ starting at 10pm – here's the flyer!
- They call it the Terrible Twos for a good reason – Sandys 360 with the Department of Child and Family Services are hosting a free series of Parent Development Workshops for parents of small sociopaths (a.k.a. toddlers). There are three sessions from 6pm until 7.30pm and are intended to give you the skills and information you need to parent your child – the first being on Thursday, October 6th, the next on Tuesday, October 11th and the last on Thursday, October 13th. Presenters are Shelly Knight & Claire Preyra-Leader, who will deal with topics including discipline methods that work, how to prevent tantrums, the best way to childproof your home and more Spaces are limited so contact Beverly Daniels at email@example.com or 234-6195 for more information or to register – here's the link to the event on Facebook.
- Wow, Chewstick are busy this week - dancer, Krystal Smith will be featured in a Chewstick Foundation Griot Session this Friday, October 7th, to raise funds for her education! The performance starts at 8pm, there is limited seating, admission is $10 at the door and the performance will be streamed live at www.chewstick.org. Donations in support of Krystal can be made online at www.premierticketsglobal.com.
- In honour of the upcoming Canadian Thanksgiving, The Bermuda Folk Club are hosting a Canadian Night on Saturday, October 8th. This will be at the usual location of Spanish Point Boat Club and will be an outdoors event, weather permitting. Admission is $8 for members, $10 for non-members, doors open at 7.30pm and music begins at 8pm - here's the link to the event on Facebook.
- BEPRO's next event will be a screening of Cameron, by local filmaker Lara Smith on Thursday, October 13th at Bermuda National Gallery at City Hall. This documentary showcases the relationship between ten year old Cameron and his Big Brother so it is only appropriate that there will also be short presentations by representatives from both Youthnet and Big Brothers Big Sisters to show you how you can get involved in helping at-risk children through mentoring. Cocktails and snacks will be at 5.30pm, followed by the screening, Q&A and mingling from 6pm until 7pm. For more information, contact 295-8932 or firstname.lastname@example.org - here's the flyer!
- Seems like the schools only just got back but the October Mid-Term Break is approaching! Sandys 360 is hosting a Mid-Term Scholar Academy from Monday, October 24th until Friday, October 28th from 8am until 6pm daily. Registration is $150, but if you register before October 15th, you'll receive 10% off. For more information or to register, contact Tia Tankard at email@example.com, Beverly Daniels at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 234-6195 – here's the link to the event on Facebook!
- Good news for Dockyard fans – Royal Naval Nights, which was supposed to finish up on Monday, October 24th, has been extended until Monday, October 31st, with a special Halloween Evening in the planning!
- This month, the Bra Boutique (ground floor of the Emporium Building on Front Street) will be running a pink bra campaign in order to help those who have been affected by Breast Cancer. All the profits from any pink bra purchased during the month of October will go to Melange, a Breast Cancer Foundation helping those who are breast cancer survivors. There will also be raffle tickets available at the Bra Boutique which the funds will go towards supporting the Melange Foundation. Here's the flyer!
- Another spa offer for October, this time from Ocean Spa at Cambridge Beaches. From Monday to Friday during October, they are offering 25 minute spa options for $50 each. Choices include a Swedish Back & Neck massage, Foot Massage with Reflex points, Scalp & Face Massage, Natural Salt body Scrub and Paraffin treatment for the hands. For reservations, call 234-3636 or email email@example.com.
Quick Recap of Upcoming Bermuda Events
Click on the event name to be taken to the original post with full details. No link means that the details are in this current post. For a handy Calendar view, click here to go to the Bermuda Calendar section:
Re-Interpreting the European Collection - September 1st to May 31st, 2012
Mind Frame & PhotoVoice Exhibition - September 23rd to October 12th
MCC vs. Bermuda Tour - September 23rd to October 8th
Bermuda Docs Weekend Film Series: The First Grader - October 4th
Chewstick Reasnin': Michael Walsh – October 4th
Return of Quiz Night at Bermuda Bistro at the Beach – October 5th
Riddell's Bay First Wednesday of the Month Dining Offer – October 5th
Junior Boarding School Fairs - October 6th
Chewstick Block Docs: Forks Over Knives – October 6th
Moonlight Bazaar at Moon Nightclub and Lounge – October 6th
Parent Development Workshop – October 6th
G&S: Jesus Christ, Superstar - October 6th to 15th
TechWeek 2011 - October 7th to 15th
Bermuda Quilter's Guild Quilt Show - October 7th to 9th
How to Build Your Dream Team Seminar - October 7th
Chewstick Foundation Griot Session: Krystal Smith – October 7th
Canadian Thanksgiving Dinner - October 8th
Ferrari Bar at LV’s Signature Saturdays Launch - October 8th
Bermuda Folk Club: Canadian Night – October 8th
Parent Development Workshop – October 11th
15th Annual Breast Cancer Fun Walk - October 12th
Mid-Atlantic Boarding Schools Fair - October 13th
Parent Development Workshop – October 13th
BEPRO presents Cameron – October 13th
The Family Centre’s Beach Bash - October 14th
Bermuda Nights - October 15th
Puppet Master - October 15th
TEDxBermuda - October 15th
Melange Life After Cancer Annual Breast Cancer Fundraiser - October 15th
Prince and Princess Ball - October 16th
Just Between Us Fashion Show and Tea - October 16th
28th PGA Grand Slam of Golf - October 17th to 19th
Bermuda Interdenominational Women’s Conference - October 20th to 22nd
Mount Saint Agnes Academy Bazaar presents Cirque de MSA - October 21st and 22nd
Sybil's Dynamic Female Impersonators 9th Annual International Diva Fest - October 21st and 22nd
Annual Denim Day - October 21st
Gibbon’s Company Charity Shopping Day - October 21st
Annual Friday Fish Fry – October 21st
NTDIB Neon: Charity Halloween Golf Tournament - October 22nd
Bermuda Kennel Club’s 2011 Bermuda Dog Shows - October 23rd and 24th
Mid-Term Scholar Academy – October 24th to 28th
Breast Health Talk Presentation - October 27th
Bermuda Diabetes Association Vegas Night - October 29th
TRFC Annual Halloween Bash - October 29th
Fet!sh Halloween Party at Ferrari Bar - October 29th
Royal Naval Nights Halloween Edition – October 31st
Taking Care of the Caregiver - December 8th
BMDS Pantomime: Cinderella - December 8th to 17th
MONKEY NEWS: Don't have any specific monkey news but today is my birthday so I have included a gratuitous picture of a monkey with a cake! Hurray!