October 7th, 2011
It's finally Friday after what seemed like the Longest Week Ever! Or is it just me? Lots happening in Bermuda this weekend – here we go:
- If you're going to learn how to carve pumpkins, you may as well learn from one of the world's best! Ray Villafane, a two-time winner of the Food Network's Challenge: Outrageous Pumpkins will be in Sousa's Gardens Fall Fest Pumpkin Carving event this Saturday, October 8th from 10am and on Sunday, October 9th from 1pm. This is a free event for the whole family with candies for the kids – here's the link to the event on Facebook.
- Two movies will be showing at the Bermuda National Library tomorrow – the first screening will be Species at 11am, followed by Alien at 2pm. Entry is free!
- Pickled Onion are going a little retro this Saturday night with their Black and White Party from 10pm. Dress code is, unsurprisingly Black and White and it includes prizes for classic vintage, most original and cutest pinup. Their in-house band 5-Star will start the show with live music, followed by DJ Siid James. Admission is free - here's the flyer!
- Is your child a fan of A Wave in Her Pocket, The Mermaid’s Twin Sister or The Color of My Words? The Department of Community and Cultural Affairs, in collaboration with the West Indian Association, presents a reading by Trinidadian author of children's literature, Lynn Joseph this Sunday, October 9th. This will take place in Par-La-Ville Park from 3pm until 5pm. The reading by Lynn Joseph will be at 3.30pm and the event will also feature live steel pan music, free face-painting, children’s games, Caribbean refreshments and more. Best of all, this event is free to the public – for more details, call Folklife Officer Dr. Kim Dismont Robinson on 292-1681 or visit www.communityandculture.bm - here's the flyer!
- The monthly Ciné Club from L'Alliance Française des Bermudes will be showing Les Gardiens de l'Ordre on Tuesday, October 11th. Tickets are $5 for members, $8 for non-members and $3 students. Full details can be found at www.alliancefrancaise.bm.
- The BEPRO Lunch 'N’ Learn Series is back at the Bermuda Chamber of Commerce on Tuesday, October 11th from 12 noon until 1pm. In Part 1 of 2, Gain the Key to your Future: Estate Planning, speaker Nathan Samuels from Mello Jones & Martin will cover what estate planning is and why it is important, estate planning tools and wills & trusts. Lunch will be provided. This event is free for members, $10 per session for non-members or non-members pay $15 for the whole three part series. To register, RSVP to email@example.com – here's the flyer!
- From Friday, October 21st until Sunday, October 23rd the fall edition of the Bermuda Documentary Film Festival (Bermuda Docs) will be held in the Tradewinds Auditorium of the BUEI. This year's selection features five award-winning films from the Sundance Film Festival, an Oscar-nominated documentary, another tipped to win the 2012 Academy Award, and award winners from the world festival circuitit. Tickets are $15 per film and available online from www.bdatix.com or from All Wrapped Up or Fabulous Fashions. For more information, call 232-2255, email firstname.lastname@example.org or see the website at www.bermudadocs.com for film synopses and trailers.
- After the success of their Summer Camp, Masterworks are hosting a Chili Cook Off as an education fundraiser to allow them to offer camp bursaries for future camps. This will be on Friday, October 21st from 5.30pm until 7.30pm and the cost is $20 for adults, $10 for children and $5 for kids under 5 – the price includes a chili dinner or chili hot dog, with salad, rice & drink. Prizes will be awarded for the best chilli – if you wish to enter your own chilli, call them on 236-2950 to register! Here's the flyer!
- The Dream Dare Dance 3rd Annual Dream Big Conference for Women, presented by Bermuda Dream Club, will be happening on Saturday, October 22nd at Thorburn Hall Christ Church Warwick (across from Belmont) from 10am until 4pm (doors open at 9 am for registration and networking). This event will feature motivational speakers, entertainment, silent auction, dancing, networking and refreshments and all proceeds are donated to PALS. There will be concurrent sessions in the areas of Professional, Personal and Health and Wellness and some of the inspirational speakers include Hilda Dunsmore, Martha Kirkland, Jewel Landy, Joan Lohan, Antonia Mills, Grace Rawlins, Ann Smith Gordon, Michelle St. Jane and Jan Fraser. Tickets are $50 and available from www.bdatix.com or Dream Club Members. For more information, call P.A.L.S. on 236-7257 or 236-5402 before 9pm - here's the flyer!
- Riddell's Bay Golf & Country Club are hosting a Create Your Own Creeeepy Family Night Pasta Dinner event on Thursday, October 27th from 5.30pm until 7.30pm. Choose your ingredients and have the chef create your dish from a choice of two petrifying pastas, with shrimp, chicken, ham, bacon, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, garlic, and peppers with your choice of a pesto cream sauce or classical provencale sauce. There will also be homemade bruschetta, a salad bar, a la carte desserts and Wii games for the family to play. The cost is $24 for adults with 2 children aged between 5 and 12 free per reservations, and completely free for under 4s. For reservations, call 238-1060 ext. 112 or email email@example.com – here is the pun-tastic poster!
- Envy Productions are bringing US comedians DeRay Davis and Aries Spears to Bermuda for a one-off Comedy Show. This will be at 8.30pm at the Fairmont Southampton on Friday, October 28th. Tickets are $75 and available from Choices and Sound Stage.
- Looking for some kid-friendly Halloween fun? Super Saturday at Masterworks will be on October 29th and families can participate in free arts and craft activities from 10am until 2pm. Each month has a different theme and this one will be the Halloween edition. Full details can be found at www.bermudamasterworks.com - here's the flyer!
- Anothe Halloween party is coming up on Saturday, October 29th – the Barmuvinjam and Secrets Annual Halloween Bash! This will be at The Deep at Elbow Beach from 10pm until 3am and is a costume only/guest list only/ticket only event. To get on the guest list, simply RSVP to their Facebook event here, then buy a ticket from Secrets in Washington Mall by Wednesday October 26th and be sure to order your costume as you must meet all three criteria! Tickets are $25 and limited to 200!
Quick Recap of Upcoming Bermuda Events
Click on the event name to be taken to the original post with full details. No link means that the details are in this current post. For a handy Calendar view, click here to go to the Bermuda Calendar section:
Re-Interpreting the European Collection - September 1st to May 31st, 2012
Mind Frame & PhotoVoice Exhibition - September 23rd to October 12th
MCC vs. Bermuda Tour - September 23rd to October 8th
Junior Boarding School Fairs - October 6th
Chewstick Block Docs: Forks Over Knives - October 6th
Moonlight Bazaar at Moon Nightclub and Lounge - October 6th
Parent Development Workshop - October 6th
G&S: Jesus Christ, Superstar - October 6th to 15th
TechWeek 2011 - October 7th to 15th
Bermuda Quilter's Guild Quilt Show - October 7th to 9th
How to Build Your Dream Team Seminar - October 7th
Chewstick Foundation Griot Session: Krystal Smith - October 7th
Canadian Thanksgiving Dinner - October 8th
Ferrari Bar at LV’s Signature Saturdays Launch - October 8th
Bermuda Folk Club: Canadian Night - October 8th
Picked Onion Black and White Party – October 8th
Bermuda National Library: Species and Alien – October 8th
Sousa's Gardens Fall Fest Pumpkin Carving – October 8th and 9th
Lynn Joseph Reading Event – October 9th
Parent Development Workshop - October 11th
L'Alliance Française des Bermudes Ciné Club: Les Gardiens de l'Ordre – October 11th
BEPRO Lunch 'N’ Learn Series: Estate Planning – October 11th
15th Annual Breast Cancer Fun Walk - October 12th
Mid-Atlantic Boarding Schools Fair - October 13th
Parent Development Workshop - October 13th
BEPRO presents Cameron - October 13th
The Family Centre’s Beach Bash - October 14th
Bermuda Nights - October 15th
Puppet Master - October 15th
TEDxBermuda - October 15th
Melange Life After Cancer Annual Breast Cancer Fundraiser - October 15th
Prince and Princess Ball - October 16th
Just Between Us Fashion Show and Tea - October 16th
28th PGA Grand Slam of Golf - October 17th to 19th
Bermuda Interdenominational Women’s Conference - October 20th to 22nd
Mount Saint Agnes Academy Bazaar presents Cirque de MSA - October 21st and 22nd
Sybil's Dynamic Female Impersonators 9th Annual International Diva Fest - October 21st and 22nd
Bermuda Documentary Film Festival (Bermuda Docs) – October 21st to 23rd
Annual Denim Day - October 21st
Gibbon’s Company Charity Shopping Day - October 21st
Annual Friday Fish Fry – October 21st
Masterworks Chili Cook Off – October 21st
NTDIB Neon: Charity Halloween Golf Tournament - October 22nd
Dream Dare Dance 3rd Annual Dream Big Conference for Women – October 22nd
Bermuda Kennel Club’s 2011 Bermuda Dog Shows - October 23rd and 24th
Mid-Term Scholar Academy - October 24th to 28th
Breast Health Talk Presentation - October 27th
Riddell's Bay Golf & Country Club Create Your Own Creeeepy Family Night Pasta Dinner – October 27th
DeRay Davis and Aries Spears Comedy Show – October 28th
Bermuda Diabetes Association Vegas Night - October 29th
TRFC Annual Halloween Bash - October 29th
Fet!sh Halloween Party at Ferrari Bar - October 29th
Super Saturday at Masterworks: Halloween - October 29th
Barmuvinjam and Secrets Annual Halloween Bash – October 29th
Royal Naval Nights Halloween Edition - October 31st
Taking Care of the Caregiver - December 8th
BMDS Pantomime: Cinderella - December 8th to 17th