November 2nd, 2011
Hope you all had a happy and safe Halloween! Congratulations to Haggis-or-Treats and 3 Cowboys and an Indian who came first and second place, respectively, in the NTDIB Neon: Charity Halloween Golf Tournament – thanks again to sponsors Amstel Light for providing prizes! Some of the photos are on the Facebook Page now and more will be added shortly:
- Now, onto the NEXT official NTDIB event! The very first Nothing to Chew in Bermuda dinner will be on Sunday, November 20th at the new and improved Chopsticks Restaurant with three available seatings of 6.30pm, 7.30pm and 8.30pm! Many of you who know me will be surprised at this choice as I have been pretty vocal in the past about how I can't stand the food there after several bad dining experiences. After being dragged back there recently, I was pleasantly surprised by the new focus on fresh, quality ingredients and now can't wait to go back! New Executive Chef Kim Pak and manager Kim Ooi have created an Asian Feast for us and I am very excited about the menu (click here to see)! Tickets are $50 per head (excluding beverages and gratuities), available from www.premiertickets.bm and the proceeds of this event will be going to benefit New Beginnings Education Trust – a great new charity which gives young Bermudians access to education and professional development. I would suggest coming in groups of 4 or more – individuals and couples are of course welcome too but just be aware that you may be combined on a table with other individuals and couples for logistical reasons. Tickets will be on sale until November 16th or until they sell out, whichever happens first. Spaces are limited for each seating time so snap 'em up quick to avoid disappointment! For special dietary requirements, or any other questions, please email me at ntdiBermuda@hotmail.com – here's the flyer and here's the link to the event on Facebook!
- The Coalition for Protection of Children are hosting a free screening of Bermudian filmmaker Lucinda Spurling's documentary Poverty in Paradise: The Price We Pay on Saturday, November 5th at BUEI. This will be at 3pm and will also feature the 11-minute documentary, Mr Happy Man, starring our own Johnny Barnes. Although admission is free, you must RSVP in order to reserve your seat – you can do this by calling or texting 332-1820 or emailing email@example.com. Bring some dollars to enter a draw and have a chance to win an original Lisa Rego painting. All proceeds to benefit the Coalition for Protection of Children – here's the flyer!
- Bermuda Docs is a wrap for 2011 but the next edition of their Weekend Film Series will be on Saturday, November 5th at 6pm and will give you another opportunity to see the inspirational documentary, The Interrupters. Tickets are $15 and available at Oceans Gift Shop or by phoning 297-7314.
- The popular Bermuda Fashion Collective Show, presented by Bermuda Society of Arts (BSoA), features many of Bermuda's top fashion designers, showcasing their eclectic style and unique energy. Designers featured in the next show include Amethyst, Ashley Aitken, Dana Cooper, Dean Williams, Edith Rookes, Nicole Iris, Rene Hill and Tabitha Royal, and you can be the first to see their new designs on Sunday, November 6th at BSoA on the top floor of City Hall. Doors open at 6.30pm and the show starts at 7pm sharp. Tickets are $30 (includes a glass of pink bubbly and after-show reception) and are available from www.bdatix.com - here’s the flyer!
- The Gilbert and Sullivan Society is continuing to bring the Metropolitan Opera to Bermuda and the next screening will be of Don Giovanni by some little-known composer called Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart on Saturday, November 12th at 5pm. This will be in the Tradewinds Auditorium at BUEI. Formal dress is not required, but is also not discouraged, so feel free to dress up pretty. A cash bar will be available during all intermissions and complimentary hors d’oeuvres will be provided. Future screenings are Siegfried by Richard Wagner (Part 3 of the Ring Cycle) on Saturday, November 26th at 4pm and Satyagraha by Philip Glass on Saturday, December 10th at 5pm. As usual, tickets are $35, available from www.premiertickets.bm and all ticket holders are entitled to a 10% discount at the Harbourfront restaurant following the performance upon presentation of their ticket stubs. For more information, see www.gands.bm/opera.htm or contact Matt Nester at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Not only is Monday, November 14th Global Diabetes Day but the whole month of November is Diabetes Month so the Bermuda Diabetes Association have organised a series of events to highlight and bring awareness to diabetes prevention and education. Saturday, November 19th will be a Friends & Family Circle Walk, starting from Bulls Head/Farmers Market location at 8.45am with goodie Bags and t-shirts for the first 100 participants. On the same day, and at the same venue, there is also Victory over Diabetes, a free health screening event with blood sugar screening, blood pressure screening, foot screening, waist measurements and dietary advice from 9.30am onwards. Friday, November 25th is Denim for Diabetes Day so you are asked to wear a sticker and show your support – all donations gratefully received. Sunday, November 27th is a Church Service at Holy Trinity Church, Bailey's Bay at 10.30am for remembering and honouring past and present diabetes sufferers, their friends, families and caregivers. If all this isn’t enough for you, there will also be Health Tune Ups throughout November – Tuesday, November 15th will be in St. George's Town Hall from 11am until 2pm, Tuesday, November 22nd will be at the New Phase Washington Mall from 11am until 2pm and Tuesday, November 29th is at St. James Church Hall, Somerset from 11am until 2pm. There will also be Islandwide Donation Buckets for you to show your support – for more information, see www.bermudadiabetes.org or call 297-8427 – here’s the flyer!
- Naan of the usual fare at Riddell’s Bay Golf & Country Club on Friday, November 18th as they are trying to curry favour with you dhal-ings by offering an Indian Buffet Dinner from 6.30pm until 8pm. The cost is $48.50 for adults, $24.25 for children aged 5 to 12 and free for under-4s. For reservations, call 238-1060 ext 112 or email@example.com – here’s the flyer, with menu included!
- The Learning Disabilities Association of Bermuda Workshops 2011 will be at the Mount St. Agnes Academy Auditorium on Saturday, November 19th. Both workshops will be presented by noted author, speaker and activist Jonathan Mooney (for more details, see his website here www.jonathanmooney.com). The first one will be from 9am until noon and is entitled The Gift: LD/ADHD Reframed— Strategies for parents, teachers, and students. The next from 1pm until 4pm is entitled Re-Drawing the Lines—Neuro-diversity: A Compass to a Changing World. Tickets are $50 per seminar or $75 for both seminars and are available from www.bdatix.com. For more information, visit www.ldab.org - here's the flyer!
- Good news for people who like wheels – Team Oni Racing Club (TORC) present their Grand Auto-Moto Saloon on Sunday, November 20th. This is a ten category car, truck, SUV and motorcycle show, featuring three driving competitions, the Ladies Of TORC model search and live local entertainment. The Show Categories are Best Car/Truck/SUV/Cycle, CableVision’s Custom Creations, Pepsi Classic Tuner, Autobahn Bling Bling, Unique Audio’s ICE-Off, Roaring Lion’s GP Hot Rods and TORC’s Heavy Trucker. The Racing Categories are Grand Slalom, Barrel-n-Back and Elimination Drag Race – here's the flyer!
- Riddell's Bay Golf & Country Club is excited to announce the Warwick Vase & Ladies Invitational on Sunday, November 27th. This will be an 18-hole stroke play championship in 2011 and will shift gears to a 36-hole event in 2012. Tee times commence at 7.30am, the event will be open to all golfers in Bermuda with a BGA (GHIN) handicap and it will include a rolling lunch and prize presentation party at the conclusion of play. The entry fee is $70 for members and $90 for non-members. For more information, or to register, contact 238-1060, ext 101 or firstname.lastname@example.org - here's the flyer!
- The 2012 Bermuda Marathon Weekend is on from Friday, January 13th until Sunday the 15th. This event is where athletes like me(!) from all over the world come together for the KPMG Bermuda Invitational Mile (Front Street at 6.30pm) on the Friday, Bermuda 10K and 10K Walk (National Sports Centre, Devonshire at 9am) on the Saturday and the Bermuda Marathon and Half Marathon (Front Street at 8am) on the Sunday. If you are insane, you can also participate in the Bermuda Triangle Challenge where you run the Front Street Mile on Friday evening, the 10K on Saturday and the full or half-marathon on Sunday. To commemorate this insanity/awesomeness, you will receive a special T-shirt and medal so that other people will know that you’re insane/awesome too. More details are available from email@example.com or 296-0951 and online registration is available on their website at www.bermudaraceweekend.com.
- Robin Hood have kindly sent me the breakdown of their Quiz Nights in November - here's the flyer with details!
- Spa offers, I know they make you oh-so-happy…here are the latest, this time from Inner Sanctum - here's the flyer with details!
Quick Recap of Upcoming Bermuda Events
Click on the event name to be taken to the original post with full details. No link means that the details are in this current post. For a handy Calendar view, click here to go to the Bermuda Calendar section:
Re-Interpreting the European Collection - September 1st to May 31st, 2012
Riddell's Bay First Wednesday of the Month Dining Offer - November 2nd
Introduction to Improv Theatre Workshop Begins - November 2nd
Bermuda SPCA Animal Expo and Fair 2011 - November 5th
Poverty in Paradise: The Price We Pay/Mr. Happy Man – November 5th
Bermuda Docs Weekend Film Series: The Interrupters - November 5th
Brunch at Griffin's Bistro restarts - November 6th
Bermuda Fashion Collective Show – November 6th
World Rugby Classic Week - November 6th to 12th
First Round Matches – November 8th to 9th
Semi-Finals – November 10th to 11h
2011 Finals Day and Farewell Party - November 12th
James Richardson presents The Beautiful Things Concert - November 11th and 12th
Art Walk in the East - November 12th
G&S Opera: Don Giovanni – November 12th
Global Diabetes Day – November 14th
Diabetes Month Health Tune Up – November 15th
Where the Whales Sing - November 17th
Riddell's Bay Indian Buffet Dinner – November 18th
CamBeach Lunch & Learn: In Case of Emergency Break Glass - November 19th
Friends & Family Circle Walk – November 19th
Victory over Diabetes – November 19th
Learning Disabilities Association of Bermuda Workshops 2011 – November 19th
Nothing to Chew in Bermuda: Asian Feast – November 20th
TORC's Grand Auto-Moto Saloon – November 20th
Diabetes Month Health Tune Up – November 22nd
St. Andrew's Ball Dance Practice - November 23rd
Denim for Diabetes Day – November 25th
Caledonian Society of Bermuda's St. Andrew's Ball - November 26th
G&S Opera: Siegfried – November 26th
Church Service for Diabetes at Holy Trinity Church – November 27th
Riddell's Bay Warwick Vase & Ladies Invitational – November 27th
Diabetes Month Health Tune Up – November 29th
Bermuda National Trust Christmas Walkabout - December 2nd
Taking Care of the Caregiver - December 8th
BMDS Pantomime: Cinderella - December 8th to 17th
Bermuda Boat Parade - December 10th
G&S Opera: Satyagraha – December 10th
New Year's Eve with Dave Bootle - December 31st
2012 Bermuda Marathon Weekend – January 13th to 15th