November 4th, 2011
Happy Friday Troops!
A few of you have been asking about this but there will NOT be a November 5th fireworks display at Tobacco Bay this year – sorry! Here are some other Bermuda events to keep you occupied though:
- Attention all Hispanophones – a new club has been set up especially for you! Charlar is a social group for anyone who is passionate about Spanish language and culture and aims to bring together people across Bermuda who enjoy speaking Spanish (fluently or slowly!) on a regular basis. Their launch event will be their first Hora Feliz (Happy Hour) tonight at Muse from 5.30pm. More information on the event, and about the group in general, can be found on their website at http://charlarbermuda.wordpress.com or by emailing them directly at email@example.com.
- Mickey's at the Elbow Beach Complex will be launching their New England Bistro Lunch on Saturdays and Sundays, starting tomorrow. The menu is very focused on seafood – such as Cape Cod Clam Pie, seafood shack-style fried clams, shrimps and calamari, rope mussels, Boston lobster sandwich and Jonah crab cake, as well as other New England favourites, such as caesar salad, American bacon and cheese burger, poutine, American Chop Suey, whoopie pie, jonny cakes and Portsmouth orange cake. Lunch will be served from 12 noon until 3pm, the bar will be open from 10am until 6pm and there will be beer and wine specials plus DJ Kaos from 3pm until 6pm on Sundays – here's the flyer and here's the menu page 1 and page 2!
- The monthly Ciné Club from L'Alliance Française des Bermudes will be showing Inspector Bellamy on Tuesday, November 8th. Tickets are $5 for members, $8 for non-members and $3 students. Full details can be found at www.alliancefrancaise.bm.
- Add a little sparkle to your life at Wanda's Night of Divas at The Terrace of Mount Area, St. David's on Saturday, November 19th. This event kicks off with a social cocktail hour from 6.10pm, where you can enjoy panoramic sunset views before the show begins at 7.15pm. Performers include Tony Bari The Band, Charla Jae (R&B and Reggae artist) and Rochelle Simons (Jazz and R&B). Tickets are $40 each, or $30 each when purchasing 3 or more, and are available now from www.bdatix.com.
- Bermuda Red Cross invite you to join them in an afternoon of fashion and fun at the Upstairs Closet Fashion Show & Tea on Sunday, November 20th. This will be from 2.30pm until 4.30pm at their Berry Hill Road location in Paget and will include door prizes, raffle and tombola. Tickets are $20 and available from the Red Cross Office by calling 236-8253 – here's the flyer!
- Lots of freaked-out Americans have contacted me, worried that they might not get a turkey dinner! Luckily, Elbow Beach will be giving you three opportunities to enjoy Thanksgiving Dinner at Lido Restaurant. This will be served from 6.30pm until 9.30pm from Thursday, November 24th until Sunday, November 26th. The cost is $49 per person and you can call 236-9884 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for reservations or more information – here's the flyer!
- The next edition of the BIFFlix Monthly Film Series will be a screening of the film Tyrannosaur on Sunday, November 27th at the usual venue of BUEI at 5.30pm. For more details, or to buy tickets, please see http://tickets.biff.bm/Event/Tyrannosaur.aspx.
- I guess it's about time for us all to start organising our holiday celebrations!? Lido Dining and Entertainment Complex have given us a couple of options to add to the list. On Christmas Day, they will be offering a Full International Brunch at Lido Restaurant at a cost of $55 per person, or 50% off for kids under 10. The first sitting is from 11am until 11.30am and the second sitting is from 2pm until 2.30pm. From 6.30pm until 9.30pm, there will be a special A La Carte Dinner and the Deep Nightclub and Lounge will be open from 6.30pm until midnight. If you want to stay over, rates are $195 for 2 nights minimum or $295 for 1 night only.
- On New Year's Eve, Lido Restaurant will be offering a Gala Dinner with open sitting from 7pm and the last reservation at 8.30pm. The cost is $95 per person and includes complimentary hors d’oeuvres, a four course set menu and fireworks at midnight. The Deep Lounge and Nightclub will be open for dancing until 3am at the cost of $30 per person (or $15 if you are one of the Lido diners). Sea Breeze Lounge will be offering a special A la Carte Dinner from 6.30pm until 10pm and then a snack menu from 10pm until midnight. If you want to stay over, the rate is $210 per night for December 31st and January 1st (minimum 2 night stay) Reservations are essential for all of these – contact 236-3535 for reservations or email@example.com - here's the flyer!
- Another New Years option is the Jimmy Keys' New Year's Eve Dinner & Show in the Harbourview Ballroom at the Fairmont Hamilton Princess. This evening begins with a cash bar cocktail reception at 6.30pm followed by a five course gala dinner at 7.30pm. Jimmy Keys' show will begin at 9pm and is then followed by a DJ and dancing until 1am. Tickets are $150 per person, which includes dinner, show, dancing and grats and are available now from www.bdatix.com.
- Tickets for the 2012 edition of the Bermuda Festival of the Performing Arts go on sale on www.bdatix.com at 10am on Monday, November 21st. For a complete calendar of events, please visit their website at www.bermudafestival.org. The Festival will run between Tuesday, January 17th and Sunday, February 26th and includes Blake (classic vocal quartet), Jon Faddis Jazz Orchestra of New York, Ailey II (dance company), Marlena Smalls, Gabriela Montero (classical pianist), Mother to Mother (a play loosely based on the murder of an American student in a Cape Town township), the Schubert Ensemble of London, Proof (David Auburn’s acclaimed play, which won the Pulitzer Prize for Drama and a Tony Award for Best Play – was also made into a film starring Anthony Hopkins and Gwyneth Paltrow), Carole Farley (soprano), Toulouse Chamber Orchestra and ZooZoo (performed by Imago Theatre).
- The Little Venice Group Dine-around vouchers are back! This is an offer that runs from October 24th until April 15, 2012. You pay $139 and receive three vouchers for three dinners (appetiser, main course, dessert and regular tea/coffee) at seven participating restaurants. There is no limit to how many times you can buy a set of vouchers and they are available now from any of the participating restaurants, which are Fourways Inn, Lido, La Trattoria, Harbourfront, Little Venice, L'Oriental and Blu Bar and Grill. Since I am a mathematical genius, I can tell you that works out at around $46.33 per dinner, excluding grats – you are welcome!
Quick Recap of Upcoming Bermuda Events
Click on the event name to be taken to the original post with full details. No link means that the details are in this current post. For a handy Calendar view, click here to go to the Bermuda Calendar section:
Re-Interpreting the European Collection - September 1st to May 31st, 2012
Riddell's Bay First Wednesday of the Month Dining Offer - November 2nd
Introduction to Improv Theatre Workshop Begins - November 2nd
Charlar Hora Feliz (Happy Hour) – November 4th
Bermuda SPCA Animal Expo and Fair 2011 - November 5th
Poverty in Paradise: The Price We Pay/Mr. Happy Man - November 5th
Bermuda Docs Weekend Film Series: The Interrupters - November 5th
New England Bistro Lunch Launch at Mickey's – November 5th
Brunch at Griffin's Bistro restarts - November 6th
Bermuda Fashion Collective Show - November 6th
World Rugby Classic Week - November 6th to 12th
First Round Matches – November 8th to 9th
Semi-Finals – November 10th to 11h
2011 Finals Day and Farewell Party - November 12th
L'Alliance Française des Bermudes Ciné Club: Inspector Bellamy – November 8th
James Richardson presents The Beautiful Things Concert - November 11th and 12th
Art Walk in the East - November 12th
G&S Opera: Don Giovanni - November 12th
Global Diabetes Day - November 14th
Diabetes Month Health Tune Up - November 15th
Where the Whales Sing - November 17th
Riddell's Bay Indian Buffet Dinner - November 18th
CamBeach Lunch & Learn: In Case of Emergency Break Glass - November 19th
Friends & Family Circle Walk - November 19th
Victory over Diabetes - November 19th
Learning Disabilities Association of Bermuda Workshops 2011 - November 19th
Wanda's Night of Divas – November 19th
Nothing to Chew in Bermuda: Asian Feast - November 20th
TORC's Grand Auto-Moto Saloon - November 20th
Upstairs Closet Fashion Show & Tea – November 20th
Bermuda Festival of the Performing Arts: Tickets go on sale – November 21st
Diabetes Month Health Tune Up - November 22nd
St. Andrew's Ball Dance Practice - November 23rd
Thanksgiving Dinner at Lido Restaurant – November 24th to 26th
Denim for Diabetes Day - November 25th
Caledonian Society of Bermuda's St. Andrew's Ball - November 26th
G&S Opera: Siegfried - November 26th
Church Service for Diabetes at Holy Trinity Church - November 27th
Riddell's Bay Warwick Vase & Ladies Invitational - November 27th
BIFFlix Monthly Film Series: Tyrannosaur – November 27th
Diabetes Month Health Tune Up - November 29th
Bermuda National Trust Christmas Walkabout - December 2nd
Taking Care of the Caregiver - December 8th
BMDS Pantomime: Cinderella - December 8th to 17th
Bermuda Boat Parade - December 10th
G&S Opera: Satyagraha - December 10th
Christmas Day at Lido (Elbow Beach) – December 25th
New Year's Eve with Dave Bootle (Fairmont Southampton) - December 31st
New Year's Eve at Lido (Elbow Beach) - December 31st
Jimmy Keys' New Year's Eve Dinner & Show (Fairmont Hamilton Princess) – December 31st
2012 Bermuda Marathon Weekend - January 13th to 15th
Bermuda Festival of the Performing Arts – January 17th to February 26th
Upset about the whole Kim Kardashian marriage debacle? Turns out there IS something you can do about it: