January 11th, 2012
It's a bit of an epic one today so you might want to grab a tea or coffee before settling down to read – hurry up, I'll wait for you… All good now? Right, here are the latest Bermuda events:
- Business Bermuda have released details of their 2012 Personal Empowerment Seminar Series. The first, Think Education Ends With A Degree?: The Value of Lifelong Learning, is on Thursday, January 12th from 12.30pm until 1.30pm. The speaker is Dr. Janet Ferguson, Executive Director at the Seniors’ Learning Centre, Bermuda College. The next, Black History Month: The Importance of Exploring Our Heritage, is on Thursday, February 16th at 5.30pm with speaker Dr. Clarence Maxwell, Assistant Professor of History at Millersville University, Pennsylvania. Thursday, March 1st is on the topic of Financial Wellness: Practical Advice for Weathering a Recession from 12.30pm until 1.30pm with speaker Paula Marshall, Senior Business Development Manager at HSBC Bermuda. After that is Investing for Retirement on Thursday, April 12th from 12.30pm until 1.30pm with speaker James Leman, Vice President of Group Employee Benefits at Freisenbruch-Meyer Group. The May edition is What You Don't See Might Hurt You: That's Why There's Insurance – Property, Life and Health on Thursday, May 10th from 12.30pm until 1.30pm with a speaker from BF&M Insurance. The final seminar is on Thursday, June 7th from 12.30pm until 1.30pm on the topic of I've Got The Job; Now What? Personal Sustainability in the Global Economy with speaker Cordell Riley, Managing Director at Profiles of Bermuda. All of these seminars are free and are at Conyers, Richmond House, 12 Par-la-Ville Road, with the exception of February 16th, which still has to be confirmed. Registration is available online at www.businessbermuda.org/seminars or email email@example.com or call 292 0632 – here's the flyer!
- Fay School is a premier co-educational junior boarding school located in Southborough, Massachusetts (just 25 miles west of Boston). To give you the opportunity to learn more about their boarding programme, which serves boys and girls in grades 7 to 9, with students from 17 different countries worldwide, Fay's Head of School and Director of Admission will host a reception on Friday, January 13, from 6pm until 8.30pm at the Fourways Inn. Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or (508)490-8201 - here's the flyer!
- Billed as being HypnoSterical, internationally renowned comedy hypnotist Richard Baker will be taking the stage at City Hall for his Stare if you Dare show on Saturday, January 14th. Hosted by Nadanja, the show starts at 8pm, tickets are $65 and available from www.premiertickets.bm - here's the flyer!
- Most of us are tightening our belts after all that seasonal spending so, luckily for us, Bermuda Department of Tourism are running an initiative to let us dine at many local restaurants for a reduced cost! Over 30 of Bermuda’s top restaurants are participating in Bermuda’s inaugural Restaurant Week from Monday, January 16th until Monday, February 6th. Prices for three-course prix fixe dinners fall into three tiers at $29, $39 or $49 per person (excluding beverages, tax and gratuity) depending on the participating restaurant. Wine pairings will also be offered at $29, $39 and $49 per bottle plus gratuities. For the full list of participating restaurants, see http://www.gotobermuda.com/travel-deals/restaurant-week/ - happy eating!
- Devotees have been extolling its benefits for years and now is your chance to find out what all the fuss is about with an Introductory Workshop in the ITM Alexander Technique with Cathy Aicardi. This will be on Tuesday, January 17th from 6.30pm to 8.30pm at Spirit House, Devonshire and will cover a historical account of its origins, key definitions of the work, as well as foundational ideas and principles demonstrated through practical lesson experiences. Students of the Alexander Technique typically report an increase in mental and physical wellbeing (which can include pain reduction), increased efficiency and an ease and confidence in performance of all kinds. Registration and a $30 payment must be made by January 15th by emailing email@example.com or calling 234-5586 – here's the flyer!
- Bermuda Cancer and Health Centre present a free public talk on The Importance of Immunizations and the HPV Vaccine, on Thursday, January 19th at BUEI. Not the most cheerful of topics but very worthwhile since Dr. Hilda Dunsmore, Medical Officer for the Department of Health will discuss and the importance of maintaining childhood vaccinations and diseases prevented by the HPV vaccine for both boys and girls. From 5pm until 6.15pm, there will be information tables, vendors and free health screenings. For more information, visit www.chc.bm. Admission is free but you can reserve your seat by calling 236-1001 - here's the flyer!
- Bermuda Dream Club present the Dream Dare Dance Girls' Night Out Fundraising Dance-a-Thon on Friday, January 20th **UPDATE: This event has been postponed – new details will be added once available** at the Botanical Gardens Visitors Centre from 7pm until 10pm. All funds raised are in aid of P.A.L.S., supporting cancer care in Bermuda. There will be a cash bar, raffles, silent auction, dream boards, and of course, dancing. Admission is $25 (available in advance from P.A.L.S. or on the door) and you are invited to bring your sponsorship form and pledges with you on the night. Admission is waived for any participants raising over $50 and anyone raising over $250 will be entered into a prize draw - here's the flyer and here's the sponsorship form!
- Riddell's Bay Golf and Country Club are hosting a Karaoke and Asian Buffet Dinner at 6.30pm on Saturday, January 21st. The cost is $47.50 for adults, $23.75 for kids aged 5 to 12 and free for under-4s. For reservations, call 238-1060 ext. 112 or email firstname.lastname@example.org - here's the flyer! **CANCELLED**
- The Budgies Field Hockey Team are hosting a Pub Quiz Night at the Outback Sports Bar next Wednesday, January 25th. This will start at 6.30pm with up to 4 people per team, door prizes and prizes for the winners. Tickets are $10 and available from any player - here's the flyer!
- LV's (Ferrari Bar) are hosting a special fund-raising celebration with WBA Middleweight Boxing Champion, Teresa Perozzi on Friday, January 27th from 5pm until 8pm. This event will include special Happy Hour prices, a silent auction, raffles and hors d’oeuvres and you will also be the first to hear if she will fight here this year. Admission is $10 - here's the flyer!
- Chant Artist David Newman (Durga Das) invites you to join him on a weekend journey into the art and practice of Kirtan (mantra chanting) and the ancient practice of Bhakti Yoga, ‘the Yoga of Love’ on Saturday, January 21st and Sunday, January 22nd. This will all take place at Spirithouse, 65 Middle Road, Devonshire. Kirtan and The Bhakti Mandala: Healing through Chant will be on Saturday, January 21st from 12 noon until 4pm and will offer insight into the meaning and therapeutic applications of Kirtan as well as group chanting. This workshop costs $80 and is open to everyone, although they state that yoga students, teachers and healers will find it a particularly beneficial addition to their practice. Also on that day at 8pm is a Kirtan Concert with David Newman & Mira at a cost of $40. Sunday, January 22nd is a Family Kirtan & Vegetarian Potluck from 4pm until 5pm. The cost is $20 per adult and free for kids. For more information, or to reserve, contact Shanell Vaughn on 236-7985 or e-mail email@example.com – here's the flyer
- Anyone interested in some spa deals? Yup, I thought so – here are the lastest offers from the Spa at Elbow Beach (valid until March 31st).
- Something new for the weekends – Masterworks Museum and Homer’s Café are now open on Sundays from 11am until 4.30pm and Homer’s will be serving Afternoon Tea from 2pm.
Quick Recap of Upcoming Bermuda Events
Click on the event name to be taken to the original post with full details. No link means that the details are in this current post. For a handy Calendar view, click here to go to the Bermuda Calendar section:
Re-Interpreting the European Collection - September 1st to May 31st, 2012
Best of Alonzo Bodden - January 11th
Just for Laughs Bermuda - January 12th to 14th
Business Bermuda Seminar: Think Education Ends With A Degree?: The Value of Lifelong Learning – January 12th
2012 Bermuda Marathon Weekend - January 13th to 15th
toLabor Birth Doula Training and Certification Programme - January 13th to 15th
Fay School Reception – January 13th
Stare if you Dare: Richard Barker, Comedy Hypnotist - January 14th
Tokio Youth Mountain Bike Series - January 15th
Bermuda Restaurant Week – January 16th to February 6th
Bermuda Festival of the Performing Arts - January 17th to February 26th
Introductory Workshop in the ITM Alexander Technique – January 17th
The Importance of Immunizations and the HPV Vaccine – January 19th
Dream Dare Dance Girls' Night Out Fundraising Dance-a-Thon – January 20th **POSTPONED**
Tokio Youth Mountain Bike Series - January 21st
Karaoke and Asian Buffet Dinner at Riddell's Bay - January 21st **CANCELLED**
Kirtan & Bhakti Yoga Weekend at Spirithouse with David Newman - January 21st and 22nd
Life in Transition Workshop - January 23rd to 26th
Year of the Black Water Dragon Menu at Chopsticks - January 23rd to February 6th
Budgies Pub Quiz Night – January 25th
Teresa Perozzi at Ferrari Bar – January 27th
Tokio Youth Mountain Bike Series - January 28th
Caledonian Society of Bermuda's Annual Burns Supper - January 28th
Business Bermuda Seminars: Black History Month: The Importance of Exploring Our Heritage – February 16th
Business Bermuda Seminars: Financial Wellness: Practical Advice for Weathering a Recession – March 1st
Fight Night XIV: Fists of Fury - March 10th
Business Bermuda Seminars: Investing for Retirement – April 12th
Business Bermuda Seminars: What You Don't See Might Hurt You: That's Why There's Insurance – Property, Life and Health – May 10th
Business Bermuda Seminars: I've Got The Job; Now What? Personal Sustainability in the Global Economy – June 7th
Bored, even with all these events going on? Go to Google. Type in Where is Chuck Norris? and hit I'm Feeling Lucky. Prepare to be amused..