January 18th, 2012
Whew, and I thought last week's post was a bit of a saga – there are even more Bermuda events on this week's:
- The Bermuda Department of Tourism are bringing back their Feel The Love Month series of events starting January 16th until March 3rd. Some of the activities include a Couples' Golf Tournament at Port Royal on Mondays and Thursdays, Champagne and Strawberries Afternoon Affair at Masterworks on Tuesdays, Love Train City Tour on Wednesdays, Dockyard Glassworks Demonstration and Free Gift on Thursdays, and on Fridays, we have Shopping in the City with tour guide Town Crier Ed Christopher, a Love Cruise departing from Albuoy's Point, Feel the Love Fridays at City Hall, SalsaMania Latin Night Out at Victoria Grill/RumBar, and Love Tales Walking Tours on Saturdays in St. George's. All of these, with the exception of the Golf Tournament, are free with no reservations required. More details are available from www.gotobermuda.com/travel-deals/feel-the-love-month/ – here's the flyer!
- The Hon. Paula A. Cox JP, MP and members of the Cabinet are giving the public the opportunity to attend a series of Town Hall Meetings to discuss the upcoming National Budget. The first will be tonight at 7.30pm at Dalton E. Tucker Primary School, Southampton, the next will be on Wednesday, January 25th at 7.30pm at Leopard's Club Hall, Hamilton and the last will be on Wednesday, February 1st at 7.30pm at Francis Patton Primary School, Hamilton Parish. You can get the most out of these meetings by reviewing the Pre-Budget Report (downloadable from www.gov.bm) and sharing your feedback by emailing email@example.com – here's the flyer!
- Fla'mthrower Music Group presents Hip Hop and Microphones on Saturday, January 28th. Hosted by Nadanja Bailey, this event will feature 16 local artists, Old School DJ Clash, a dance contest, a runway style bikini contest, a freestyle rap battle, a performance by Bermuda Squad, with a special appearance by the ladies of TORC. This will all happen at the Berkeley Institute, 26 Berkeley Road from 7pm until 11.30pm and tickets are $20 in advance, $30 on the door or $40 for VIPs. Advance tickets are available from firstname.lastname@example.org or 595-5230 – here's the link to the event on Facebook - here's the flyer!
- Motivator, author and community educator Alfred “Coach” Powell is returning to Bermuda as a guest of the Mirrors Programme and will be presenting two free sessions on Protecting Our Youth to the general public. Mr. Powell will talk about The Intoxication of the Hip Hop Generation (trends in street culture, gang activity, substance abuse, irresponsible sex and the marketing of violence) and give you tools to aid you in protecting your children and minimising the risk of their engagement in problem behaviours. The first session will be on Tuesday, January 31st at Sandys Secondary Middle School Assembly Hall and the second will be on Wednesday, February 1st at Whitney Institute Middle School Assembly Hall. Doors will open at 5.30pm for a 6.30pm and admission will be first come, first served. For more information, contact Vernelda Perinchief-Tatem at 294-9291 – here's the flyer!
- There can't be many people on this island who are NOT Bob Marley Fans – on Friday February 3rd and Saturday February 4th, in celebration of what would have been his 67th birthday, you are invited to the One Love Bob Marley Festival at Barr’s Park. This will go from 10am until late on both days. A full schedule of the event entertainment lineup and activities will be available soon but will include Live Entertainment, Marley Club (bar & VIP Club), unreleased Marley footage on big screen, Bob Marley memorabilia, open flea market, food court, Ital & vegan food vendors, Bermudian & Caribbean food vendors, Baked goods, Marley Beatz Box (music downloads, ringtones, internet options), lifestyle workshops, six-a-side football tournament and a Kid Zone. All attendees are asked to bring in either 2 cans of nonperishable goods, or two pieces of clothing and/or shoes (winter/spring) that are in excellent condition. These items will be donated to families in need. Tickets are available from www.bdatix.comand the 2 Day Pass costs $55 ($45 for groups of 10 or more, $75 for VIPs), the 1 Day Pass costs $30 ($25 for groups of 10 or more, $12 for 13-17 year olds, $50 for VIPs) and free entry for under-12s – here's the flyer!
- After being postponed from August last year, Famous for Fifteen Minutes is back on the calendar! This is the 10th annual playwright competition from the Bermuda Musical and Dramatic Society (BMDS) and presents six short plays, from a variety of genres, each lasting 15 minutes (hence the name!) at Daylesford Theatre. I have seen this show a few times and the plays are always at a really high standard. The show itself will run from Thursday, February 9th until Saturday, February 18th (with no performance on February 12th). The Gala Night is on closing night at 6.30pm with a pre-show reception with food and drink. Tickets are $25 or $75 for the Gala Night and will be available from www.bmds.com from February 2nd – here's the flyer!
- Sandys 360 are offering a February Mid-Term Camp from Monday, February 13th until Friday, February 17th from 8am until 6pm. The Registration Fee is $125 but you will receive 15% off if you register before February 1st (Sandys 360 Members receive 10% after February 1st). For more details, or to register, contact Tia Tankard, Afterschool Programme Coordinator, at email@example.com, or 234-6195 – here's the flyer!
- It's almost time for that awesome Mini Chocolate Festival, Valentine's Day! Riddell's Bay are hosting a Valentine's Day Dinner Dance on Tuesday, February 14th. Featuring pianist James Richardson, this event will start at 6.30pm with canapes until 7pm, followed by dinner at 7.15pm. The cost is $58 per person and includes a 5 course dinner, Godiva Chocolate Box and a split of champagne per couple. Reservations can be made by calling 238-1060 ext. 112 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org - here's the flyer!
- Francophiles will be pleased that the Bermuda Festival of the Performing Arts is offering three concerts celebrating French music in February – none more so than L’Alliance Française des Bermudes who think that this warrants more celebration! The first concert will take place at City Hall on Thursday, February 16th, with the American soprano Carole Farley accompanied by John Constable, pianist with the Toulouse Chamber Orchestra. L’Alliance Française are offering you the opportunity to meet the artists and members of the Orchestra afterwards in the form of a pot luck event where you will be invited to bring salad/dessert/cheeses for 6 to 8 people and a bottle of wine to share. To attend, please RSVP to Mariette Savoie at email@example.com before January 28th.
- Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Inc., Bermuda Alumni Chapter presents An Evening with Brian McKnight on Saturday, February 25th in the ballroom of the Fairmont Southampton. As if the Grammy-nominated artist isn't enough entertainment, this event will also feature the Wall Street Band & Stevie Darrell, Kassandra Gabrielle and local entertainers. Doors open at 8pm and the show starts at 9pm. Tickets are $100 or $150 for VIPs and are available from 27th Century, Secrets, El Shaddai Florist or from Brothers of Kappa Alpha Psi and Affiliates – here's the flyer!
- The very first Validus Re Running of the Bulls 5K, inspired by the traditional event in Pamplona, Spain will be on Sunday, February 26th. No bovine will be harmed in this race though as the Bulls will be elite runners with a delayed start who will try to catch up to the rest of the runners before the finish line. There is an 8.30am start for walkers and a 9am start for runners. Entry fees are $27 for MAAC members, $7 for MAAC Gold members, $32 for non-members, $25 for Recreational Walkers, $40 for late entries with proceeds in aid of Big Brothers and Big Sisters of Bermuda and The Mid Atlantic Athletic Club (MAAC). For more details, or to register online, see www.racedayworld.com/register/ViewEvent/1330170 – here's the flyer!
- Hands up if you are still trying to work off some of that post-Christmas pudginess? Yup, me too! Luckily, Bermuda Squash Racquets Association (BSRA) in Devonshire is having a special offer on annual squash club memberships until the end of January - one month free and no initiation fee. Memberships start from $640 per year and the club offers squash, a fully accredited gym, personal coaching and social events. Here's the flyer - the offer was originally for last week but they are extending it to the end of the month. Also at BSRA are their new fitness classes at 9am on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and 8am on Sundays. The cost is $25 per class or $200 for a 10 class punch card - here's the flyer! For more details, contact Dave Elliott at DaveE@bermudasquash.com, 292-6881 or visit www.bermudasquash.com.
- Another spa offer, this time from Ocean Spa at Cambridge Beaches who are giving a $40 discount from selected 50-minute treatments. You can choose from 4 treatments (Sothys Homme Facial, Essence of the Orient, Detoxifying Body or Renewing Facial) for $115 (gratuity included) – here's the flyer with full details!
Quick Recap of Upcoming Bermuda Events
Click on the event name to be taken to the original post with full details. No link means that the details are in this current post. For a handy Calendar view, click here to go to the Bermuda Calendar section:
Re-Interpreting the European Collection - September 1st to May 31st, 2012
Bermuda Restaurant Week - January 16th to February 6th
Bermuda Department of Tourism Feel The Love Month – January 16th to March 3rd
Bermuda Festival of the Performing Arts - January 17th to February 26th
Introductory Workshop in the ITM Alexander Technique - January 17th
National Budget Town Hall Meetings – January 18th
The Importance of Immunizations and the HPV Vaccine - January 19th
Dream Dare Dance Girls' Night Out Fundraising Dance-a-Thon - January 20th **POSTPONED**
Tokio Youth Mountain Bike Series - January 21st
Karaoke and Asian Buffet Dinner at Riddell's Bay - January 21st **CANCELLED**
Kirtan & Bhakti Yoga Weekend at Spirithouse with David Newman - January 21st and 22nd
Life in Transition Workshop - January 23rd to 26th
Year of the Black Water Dragon Menu at Chopsticks - January 23rd to February 6th
Budgies Pub Quiz Night - January 25th
National Budget Town Hall Meetings – January 25th
Teresa Perozzi at Ferrari Bar - January 27th
Tokio Youth Mountain Bike Series - January 28th
Caledonian Society of Bermuda's Annual Burns Supper - January 28th
Hip Hop and Microphones – January 28th
Mirrors presents Alfred "Coach" Powell – January 31st to February 1st
National Budget Town Hall Meetings – February 1st
One Love Bob Marley Festival at Barr’s Park – February 3rd and 4th
Famous for Fifteen Minutes – February 9th to 18th
Sandys 360 February Mid-Term Camp – February 13th to 17th
Riddell's Bay Valentine's Day Dinner Dance – February 14th
L’Alliance Française des Bermudes Pot Luck with the Toulouse Chamber Orchestra – February 16th
An Evening with Brian McKnight – February 25th
Validus Re Running of the Bulls 5K – February 26th
Fight Night XIV: Fists of Fury - March 10th
Business Bermuda Seminars: Investing for Retirement - April 12th