January 25th, 2012
Hope you're all having a good week so far – here are the latest upcoming Bermuda events:
- The Chewstick Foundation is holding its first Annual Bakatown Film Festival from Thursday, January 26th to Saturday, January 28th. Day I is a Local Shorts & Panel Discussionat 6pm at Chewstick Neo-Griot Lounge & Café, a free event that will showcase the submissions in the 2012 Bakatown Short Film Festival. After a showing of the films themselves (here’s the link to the Facebook event with details of the films to be shown), there will be a roundtable discussion with local filmmakers Al Seymour, Milton Raposo, Donald "Detrimental" Robinson, Scott Neil and Asha Ludwig. Day 2 is a Local Music Video Party from 8pm, and is another free event at Chewstick Neo-Griot Lounge & Café, which will showcase local artists and music video filmmakers in a celebration of music video filmmaking. The entire party will be entertained via video DJ with local music videos being projected 12ft x 8ft on the new screen at The Chewstick Lounge. The Music Video Launch party will feature music videos from artists such as Twanée Butterfield, Prof-A-C, Kombat, Propa, Jelani, Fiyah Marshall, Mz Malz, Haz and many more, including international local artists like Heather Nova, Collie Buddz and Mishka. Snacks and refreshments will be available with donations graciously accepted to support The Chewstick Foundation. More details are on the Facebook event. The main event itself, Future Shorts Screening at Liberty Theatre, is on Day 3 and will begin with an opening reception from 6pm in the Liberty Theatre Lobby and will feature a selection of local performers, cocktails and refreshments for sale and a chance to mingle with fellow film enthusiasts. At 7pm the Future Shorts (www.futureshorts.com) will start in the main theatre. The collection is a series of short films that range from 6-20 minutes and display genres from real life dramas to stop-motion, and animation. Each film has received industry awards and the collection boasts winners from The Oscars, SXSW, BAFTA and the Sundance Film Festival to name a few. The screening will end at about 9pm and will be followed by a wrap party at The Chewstick Lounge Snacks and refreshments will be available. Tickets for this event are $30 and can be purchased on www.premiertickets.bm, for more information contact The Chewstick Foundation office on 292-2439, firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.chewstick.org for more details.
- The West Indian Association (Bermuda) presents a New Year's Dinner & Dance: A Black Tie Affair on Saturday, January 28th at 64° Bar & Grill at Port Royal. This event will begin with cocktails at 7pm, followed by dinner at 8pm and then dancing to music by Rajin Bajan until 1am. As the name suggests, dress code is formal and tickets are $100 and available from any member of the WIA Executive Committee or contact email@example.com – here’s the flyer!
- The next edition of the BIFFlix Monthly Film Series is coming on Sunday, January 29th! The January screening will be the French film The House of Pleasures at 7pm at BUEI. Tickets are $9 for members, $13 for non-members and are available in advance from http://tickets.biff.bm or on the door from 6pm – here's the flyer!
- La Serena Spa at The Reefs have kindly sent me details of a few of their upcoming events. First up is Bliss Yoga by Kyria Evans which will be on Tuesday mornings at 8.45am, beginning January 31st. This is a 75 minute class and costs $150 for a 6 week course. Also starting on Tuesdays beginning next week is A Journey to Reiki by Reiki Master Samantha Harries at 6.30pm. This is a 4 week programme of four 60 to 90 minute interactive discussions, aiming to help you to begin understanding the energies that merge between the mind, body and soul connection and costs $120. Sports and Remedial Therapist Greg Ozarowski will be hosting a free one-off seminar on How to Let your Pain Go for Good on Wednesday, February 8th at 6.30pm. Mr. Ozarowski will discuss body chains and biomechanics, how your posture and bad habits impact your daily life, the benefits of body assessments for the most effective treatments and solutions to pain, followed by questions and answers. Not only is this event free but all attendees will receive a 15% discount on their next treatment. For more details, see www.thereefs.com/spa/events.shtml or call 239-0184 for reservations.
- Schools to Know invite you to the 7th Annual Summer School Program and Recreation Camp Fair at the Fairmont Hamilton Princess on Tuesday, February 7th. From 5pm until 8pm, you can learn about the various camps and programmes on offer, which range from the academic to the recreational. For more information contact Tory Dodge, Tory@schoolstoknow.com or www.schoolstoknow.com.
- East End Flower Alley are hosting a Valentine’s FlowerPeutic Couples Workshop on Thursday, February 9th. From 7pm, you can enjoy champagne and canapes as you create a floral masterpiece with your other half. The cost is $100 per couple and you can reserve your place by calling 297-1929.
- Another option to keep the kids entertained during half-term is at the fun-filled camp at Somerset School of Dancing. The camp promises to be packed with games, dancing, drama, make-up and hair and arts and crafts, and will run from Monday, February 13th until Friday, February 17th, from 9am until 2pm. To make it a little easier for working parents, they have the added convenience of drop off from 8.50am and an after-camp care provided until 5pm. For more information and application forms please email Sarah Terry at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Flanagan's Onions F.C. invite you to enjoy a night at the races, without the need for a fancy hat, as they present Race Night at Outback Sports Bar on Friday, March 2nd. Doors open at 5pm, Happy Hour drinks prices until 7pm and the first race is at 7.30pm. As usual, they will be showing 8 pre-recorded horse races which you will be able to bet on. The outcome is totally dependent on chance and no-one (not even the organisers) know the result prior to the running of each race. No knowledge or expertise of horse racing is required, and no “odds” or “form” affect your choice, or the outcome of the race. Backers of the winning horse in each race will make a profit (precise amount depends on the amount staked on that race) with part-proceeds going to a local charity. Entry is $10 and tickets are available from any player or from email@example.com – here's the flyer!
- VCS Productions presents Bermuda's Entertainers at Their Best, a night of live entertainment at the Mid-Ocean Theatre at The Fairmont Southampton on Saturday, April 7th. This show is dedicated to showcasing local entertainers and will feature Spellbound, U-Nique, Silhouette and U-Fonics. VIP tickets are $125 and regular tickets are $85 – here's the flyer!
- Another Valentine’s special, this time from Newstead! The Newstead Belmont Hills Romantic Getaway includes one or two nights in a one bedroom suite, with breakfast daily, romantic dinner for two at Beau Rivage (Sunday excluded), couples massage in Newstead Spa and champagne and chocolate-dipped strawberries. One night costs $827.96 and 2 nights cost $1,175.52. Wondering why they're not nice round numbers? That's because the rates include all taxes. The package is available from February 10th until the 15th and prices are based on double occupancy. For information or reservations, call 236-6060 ext. 3024 or email reservations at belmonthills.com – here’s the flyer!
Quick Recap of Upcoming Bermuda Events
Click on the event name to be taken to the original post with full details. No link means that the details are in this current post. For a handy Calendar view, click here to go to the Bermuda Calendar section:
Re-Interpreting the European Collection - September 1st to May 31st, 2012
Bermuda Restaurant Week - January 16th to February 6th
Bermuda Department of Tourism Feel The Love Month – January 16th to March 3rd
Bermuda Festival of the Performing Arts - January 17th to February 26th
Life in Transition Workshop - January 23rd to 26th
Year of the Black Water Dragon Menu at Chopsticks - January 23rd to February 6th
Budgies Pub Quiz Night - January 25th
National Budget Town Hall Meetings - January 25th
Chewstick Foundation Annual Bakatown Film Festival – January 26th to 28th
Teresa Perozzi at Ferrari Bar - January 27th
Tokio Youth Mountain Bike Series - January 28th
Caledonian Society of Bermuda's Annual Burns Supper - January 28th
Hip Hop and Microphones - January 28th
West Indian Association New Year's Dinner & Dance: A Black Tie Affair – January 28th
BIFFlix Monthly Film Series: House of Pleasures - January 29th
A Journey to Reiki at La Serena – January 31st
Bliss Yoga at La Serena – January 31st
Mirrors presents Alfred "Coach" Powell - January 31st to February 1st
National Budget Town Hall Meetings - February 1st
One Love Bob Marley Festival at Barr’s Park - February 3rd and 4th
7th Annual Summer School Program and Recreation Camp Fair – February 7th
How to Let your Pain Go for Good – February 8th
Valentine’s FlowerPeutic Couples Workshop – February 9th
Famous for Fifteen Minutes - February 9th to 18th
Sandys 360 February Mid-Term Camp - February 13th to 17th
Somerset School of Dancing Mid-Term Camp – February 13th to 17th
Riddell's Bay Valentine's Day Dinner Dance - February 14th
An Evening with Brian McKnight – February 25th
Validus Re Running of the Bulls 5K – February 26th
Flanagan's Onions F.C. Race Night at Outback Sports Bar – March 2nd
Fight Night XIV: Fists of Fury - March 10th
Bermuda's Entertainers at Their Best – April 7th
Business Bermuda Seminars: Investing for Retirement - April 12th
Enjoy the rest of the week!