January 4th, 2012
Happy New Year Everyone!
I’m now taking bets on how long it will take me to stop dating everything 2011 – I think I was still signing 2010 in March last year. Aaaaand, I just had to update the date headline above immediately after typing the previous sentence because it is NOT January 4th, 2011 – d’oh!
- Many of us had a great NYE celebration due to our hard-working friends in the hospitality industry – now that the craziness of the festive season has passed, it’s time for them to let their hair down! Fourways Inn are offering a NYE Replay on Monday, January 9th, complete with a bubbly reception, gala dinner, DJ, raffle prizes, party favours and even a midnight countdown. Although this is mainly targeted towards hospitality workers, anyone is welcome, so if you were sick on December 31st, here’s your chance to make the memories you missed! For reservations, email firstname.lastname@example.org or buy tickets online at www.premiertickets.bm – here’s the flyer and here’s the menu!
- Whatnext4u Ltd UK and Conyers Dill & Pearman invites you to join in a two day Life in Transition Workshop for spouses/partners wanting to make best use of their time in Bermuda. The workshop will include: taking stock of your career so far; taking a fresh look at your strengths, talents, values and motivation, as well as career drivers; and taking control by learning to be proactive, make plans, create opportunities and shape your future. The cost is $350 per person and includes a light lunch and all workshop materials Workshops will take place on Monday and Tuesday, January 23rd and 24th and Wednesday and Thursday, January 25th and 26th from 9.30am until 5pm, at Conyers Dill & Pearman, Clarendon House, 2 Church Street. There is a maximum of 12 people per workshop so for more information, or to book your spot, email email@example.com or buy online at www.premiertickets.bm – here’s the flyer!
- Enter the Year of the Dragon – if celebrating the new calendar year isn’t enough for you, this month also marks a new Lunar Year. Chopsticks are celebrating the Chinese New Year with a special menu, starting on Monday, January 23rd, the first day of the Black Water Dragon Year, and running for the traditional 15 days until Monday, February 6th. For reservations, call 292-2640. This is an 8 course dinner and costs $68 per person – here’s a copy of the menu and here’s a list of their champagne special offers!
- Their screening of The Inbetweeners Movie on Sunday is almost sold out but, never fear, there is another Caledonian event coming up soon! The Caledonian Society of Bermuda’s Annual Burns Supper for 2012 will be at Tucker’s Point Hotel and Spa on Saturday, January 28th. A Burns Supper is a celebration of the life and poetry of the Scottish poet Robert Burns, author of many famous poems and songs. A few examples include Auld Lang Syne (yes, the one we all sing at New Year), To a Mouse (the phrase “the best laid schemes o’ mice and men gang aft agley” comes from this poem) and Tam O’ Shanter (considered by many to be one of the best examples of the narrative poem in European literature). You do NOT have to be a literary buff to enjoy this (Burns himself was a renowned drunken womaniser), you just have to enjoy cocktails, dinner, poetry and entertaining toasts and speeches. They have another excellent lineup of speakers this year, headed by Bruce Murray as MC, with past president Gordon Ness Addressing the Haggis, Bill Storie providing the Immortal Memory, Toast to Scotland by Steve Pegg, Toast to Bermuda by Bruce Barritt, Toast to the Lassies by Arthur Wightman and the Reply on Behalf of the Lassies to be announced. The pre-dinner cocktail reception (cash bar) will be from 6.30pm until 7.15pm, with the five-course dinner beginning at 7.30pm. The ticket price has been held at $75 per person and available from IHind@becl.bm or online at www.premiertickets.bm – here’s the flyer and here’s the link to the event on Facebook !
- Save the date, boxing/Mixed Martial Arts fans – Teachers RFC will be presenting Fight Night XIV: Fists of Fury on Saturday, March 10th. If you are a budding Balboa who is interested in participating, they are recruiting now and full and free training is available – contact TRFC@logic.bm or 504-4734. I’ll update with more details on the event itself when I have them – here’s the flyer!
- In need of a staycation after all the chaos of the festive season? Newstead Belmont Hills are offering a local’s rate from $199 – here’s the flyer with full details!
Quick Recap of Upcoming Bermuda Events
Click on the event name to be taken to the original post with full details. No link means that the details are in this current post. For a handy Calendar view, click here to go to the Bermuda Calendar section:
Re-Interpreting the European Collection – September 1st to May 31st, 2012
Good Morning Bermuda by Scott Gemmell and Pulp Fiction by Ampah Tivakam-Hubbard – November 25th to January 4th
Tokio Youth Mountain Bike Series – January 7th
History of Literature Club – January 7th
Caledonian Society of Bermuda: The Inbetweeners Movie – January 8th
NYE Replay at Fourways Inn – January 9th
Best of Alonzo Bodden – January 11th
Just for Laughs Bermuda – January 12th to 14th
2012 Bermuda Marathon Weekend – January 13th to 15th
toLabor Birth Doula Training and Certification Programme – January 13th to 15th
Bermuda Festival of the Performing Arts – January 17th to February 26th
Tokio Youth Mountain Bike Series – January 15th
Tokio Youth Mountain Bike Series – January 21st
Life in Transition Workshop – January 23rd to 26th
Year of the Black Water Dragon Menu at Chopsticks – January 23rd to February 6th
Tokio Youth Mountain Bike Series – January 28th
Caledonian Society of Bermuda’s Annual Burns Supper – January 28th
Fight Night XIV: Fists of Fury – March 10th