February 22nd, 2012
I wish I could say Happy Wednesday but there is NOTHING happy about today. No more chocolate for me until April 8th.. Good thing that there are lots of Bermuda events to keep me occupied during Lent:
- Sankofa: The Wellness Center will be hosting a series of Free Lunch and Learns between now and mid-March. The session on Thursday, February 23rd is on the subject of Stress, Thursday, March 1st is on Hypertension, Thursday, March 8th is on Asthma and Thursday, March 15th is on Migraines. If you suffer from any of these conditions, you are invited to bring your lunch with you and let Sankofa teach you natural approaches to helping yourself. All workshops will be held from 12 noon until 1pm at Sankofa on 1 Chancery Lane. For more information, call 292-2513 or see their website at www.sankofabda.com – here's the flyer!
- Looking forward to the Oscars on Sunday? BUEI and Bermuda Docs are presenting the Academy Award-Nominated Short Films in three screenings series in the Tradewinds Auditorium. Documentary Shorts (Rated R) will be screening on Thursday February 23rd at 6.30pm, Live Action Shorts (Rated R) will be showing on Friday, February 24th at 6.30pm and Animation shorts (Rated PG) will be screening on Sunday, February 26th at 3pm. Tickets are $15 and available from Ocean's Gift Shop or by phoning 297-7314 – here's the flyer!
- This coming Saturday is the last one of the month, which means that it's Super Saturday at Masterworks! Each month has a different theme and this one will be Under the Big Top, where families can participate in free circus-themed arts and craft activities from 10am until 2pm. Full details can be found at www.bermudamasterworks.com!
- Time to dig out the legwarmers and neon makeup – Pickled Onion will be hosting an 80s Night on Saturday, February 25th from 10pm until 2am. There is no cover charge and music will be courtesy of DJ Siid James with prizes for Best 80s Artist Impersonator and drinks specials all night –here's the flyer!
- Wondering what to do with that extra day of the month? The Adult Education School presents Transformation, a cocktail reception and silent art auction on Wednesday, February 29th. From 6pm until 9pm at Gosling's Wine Cellar, this evening will feature the work of local artists, who are presenting in a variety of media including painting, photography, textiles and jewellry, as well as music by John Seymour and Shine Hayward. Artists who have donated pieces for the auction include <takes deep breath> Manuel Palacio, Robert Bassett, Jessica Dismont, Gavin Howarth, Vanessa Turner, Grahame Rendell, Samantha Botelho, Ampah Hubbard, Scott Gemmell, Tonetta Spring, Amy Harvey, Kelly Hunt, Althea Minors, Tracy Osborne, Meredith Johnson, Dwayne Simons, Erna Nesbitt, Ami Zander, Alice Cedenio, Nicole Lowe, Lee-Ann-Stephens, Caitlin Barnard and some more to be confirmed…whew! All proceeds from this event will go directy to support the programmes of The Adult Education School which is transforming lives through education. Tickets are $35, include drinks and hor d'oeuvres and are available from www.ptix.bm – here's the flyer!
- The 2012 edition of the annual Lindo's to Lindo's 10K Run and 4 Mile Walk will be on Sunday, March 4th and will be in support of the Bermuda Diabetes Association. Registration forms are available from Sportseller, Lindo's, Diabetes Resource Centre or on line at www.racedayworld.com. The entry cost for runners is $20 for juniors (over 12, under 20), $30 for Mid Atlantic Athletic Club (MAAC) Members, $40 for others and $7 for MAAC Gold. The entry cost for walkers is $20 for juniors (under 20) and $30 for adults. Goodie bags and t-shirts will be available at early number pickup for first 1000 participants – here's the flyer!
- Not sure if it's just me but this year seems to be flying by – whale-watching season is almost upon us already! Fantasea will be starting their Whale Watching excursions on Wednesday, March 7th and run every Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday (weather permitting) until April 18th. The trip lasts for approximately 5 hours and the cost is $85 per person or $65 for children under 12. Spaces are available now and you can reserve online at www.fantasea.bm or call 236-1300 – here's the flyer!
- One of the best places to enjoy Bermuda is in the water so the Bermuda Rowing Association is running a Spring Learn-to-Row courses from Saturday, March 10th. This course will run for four weeks, three times per week with two early mornings and one weekend morning. Spaces are limited to 10 athletes and the course will result in a competency test and certification. For more details, contact President and Coach, Michael Swain at email@example.com or 533-6767 –here's the flyer!
- Of particular interest to tourists, newcomers or locals with friends/family visiting is the Traveler's Price Card, offering special deals and discounts at over 70 places in Bermuda. The cost is $10, which includes a full guide, the card, 4 postcards by local artists (exclusive to TPC) and access to total savings worth over $600 at restaurants, boat tours, shopping and more. More details are on their website at www.travelerspricecard.comor their Facebook Page - here's the flyer!
- Do you think that "real" Chinese food should include chips and curry sauce? In that case, you will be delighted to hear that the Caledonian Society of Bermuda are partnering with Chopsticks to offer you The Tartan Panda Extravaganza, a "traditional" Scottish-Chinese takeaway menu! There are three set menus to choose from, including all your old favourites, with part proceeds going to charity. The Sauchiehall (pronounced Suck-ee-hall) Single for 1 costs $10 with $1 going to charity. The Dundee Double for 2 costs $20 with $2 going to charity. The Finnieston Feast is for 3 to 4 and costs $30 with $3 going to charity. If in doubt, just ask for the $10, $20 or $30 Caledonian Society menu and they'll sort you out. In addition to this, there will also be a special deal on the legendary drink, Irn Bru, depending on which set menu you choose. To place your order for takeout, call Chopsticks on 292-0791 or 292-2640. This promotion will be running from now until the end of March – here's the general flyer and here's the flyer with the full menu included!
Quick Recap of Upcoming Bermuda Events
Click on the event name to be taken to the original post with full details. No link means that the details are in this current post. For a handy Calendar view, click here to go to the Bermuda Calendar section:
Re-Interpreting the European Collection - September 1st to May 31st, 2012
Bermuda Department of Tourism Feel The Love Month – January 16th to March 3rd
Bermuda Festival of the Performing Arts - January 17th to February 26th
2012 Construction Job Fair - February 23rd
Sankofa Lunch and Learn: Stress – February 23rd
Oscar-Nominated Short Films – February 23rd to 26th
Wines Down Under Wine Tasting - February 24th
An Evening with Brian McKnight – February 25th
BIFFlix Monthly Film Series: The Woman in the Fifth - February 25th
Super Saturday at Masterworks: Under the Big Top – February 25th
80s Night at Pickled Onion – February 25th
Validus Re Running of the Bulls 5K – February 26th
Argus Walk the Walk Charity 5K Walk - February 26th
BIFF: Live From The Red Carpet - February 26th
Ayurvedic Balancing Yoga course starts - February 28th
Learning Disabilities Association of Bermuda (LDAB) AGM - February 29th
Transformation Cocktail Reception and Silent Art Auction – February 29th
Parent Infant Group: Adjusting to Parenting - March 1st
Sankofa Lunch and Learn: Hypertension – March 1st
Summer Camp & Activities Mini Fair - March 2nd
Reiki Level 1 Workshop at Cambridge Beaches – March 3rd
Family Centre: Celebrate the Night - March 3rd
The Hilarious Comedy of Damian the Hypnotist - March 3rd
Lindo's to Lindo's 10K Run and 4 Mile Walk – March 4th
Fantasea Whale Watching Excursions – begins March 7th
Parent Infant Group: Play and Learning - March 8th
Sankofa Lunch and Learn: Asthma – March 8th
Fight Night XIV: Fists of Fury - March 10th
Bermuda’s First Island Challenge - March 10th
Bermuda Rowing Association Spring Learn-to-Row courses – begins March 10th
Comedy & Magic - March 11th
Hasty Pudding Theatricals: There Will Be Flood - March 14th to 16th
Parent Infant Group: Feeding and Nutrition - March 15th
Sankofa Lunch and Learn: Migraines – March 15th
Parent Infant Group: Taking Care of Yourself - March 22nd
Annual Bacardi National Par-3 Championship - March 23rd to 25th
Bermuda's Entertainers at Their Best - April 7th
Business Bermuda Seminars: Investing for Retirement - April 12th
Enjoy the rest of the week!