February 29th, 2012
Happy Wednesday Lovely People!
So, since we have an extra day this year, why not try and do something different with it – don't just stay in and watch TV! Unless you don't usually just stay in and watch TV, in which case, that can be your something different..
I have a little news – tomorrow just happens to be NTDIB.com's 2nd birthday! I can't quite believe it has been that long and I certainly didn't expect to have over 5,000 followers/subscribers on Facebook, Twitter and email subscriptions/RSS feeds by this point – thanks so much to all of you for your support! Bernews.com also share the same website birthday so be sure to show them some love too.
- Nova and Microsoft present a day of free education and training on database management, building your own business intelligence environment, creating your own dashboards and more at the Bermuda 2012 Data Management Conference. This will be on Tuesday, March 6th, or at the repeat session on Wednesday, March 7th, from 8.30am until 4.30pm at the Argus Building on Wesley Street. You can either join the sessions of most interest to you or attend the whole day, complete with a wine and cheese reception at the end. Although this seminar is free to customers and prospects of Nova Limited, there will be a surcharge for IT Consultancy and Software Development firms – contact Michelle Crawford at email@example.com or on 293-6682 ext.7000 for more information - here is a copy of the brochure with the detailed schedule or register online here .
- Have the recent sunny days got you thinking about getting ready for bikini season? There are just a few more days left to sign up for the next Nutrifit course, starting Wednesday, March 7th and running until Friday, April 20th! This 6-week optimum nutrition course is presented by Catherine Burns, an experienced Nutritional Therapist trained by the Institute for Optimum Nutrition in the U.K. and Royal Gazette Food for Thought columnist. Focusing on simply, healthy, natural food, the course costs $375 per person and aims to help you to look and feel great by making smart, ethical and informed food choices without a fad or shake in sight. For more information, or to register, please contact Catherine@natural.bm - here's the flyer!
- Last year they had a 24 Hour Swim-a-thon but this year they are offering all the fun in half the time! Sandys 360 present their Wet 'n' Wild Corporate and Community Swim Challenge on Friday, March 9th. Corporate teams will participate between 12 noon and 4pm, while community teams will participate between 4pm and midnight. To register a team, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 234-6195 - here's the flyer!
- Bermuda has often been accused of being a little staid, so it's nice to see something a bit more out there from time to time. Art Centre at Dockyard are presenting a Living Art Show on Saturday, March 10th. This art exhibit and fundraiser will feature tattoo models and artists, extreme hair styling, body painting, fashion and live entertainment. Although hosted by Art Centre at Dockyard, this event will actually be taking place in Washington Mall (behind the Beluga Bar) from 6.30pm until midnight. Tickets cost $25 and are available from www.bdatix.com - here's the flyer!
- The Bermuda International Eye Institute Ltd. will be hosting its 10th Annual Eye Institute Classic on Sunday, March 11th, starting and finishing at East End Primary School, St. George’s. Fees are $15 for runners aged 18 and under ($10 for MAAC entries), $32 for runners aged 19 and over ($27 for MAAC entries) and $22 for walkers ($17 for MAAC entries) with all proceeds going to Age Concern. You can register online at www.racedayworld.com or complete and drop off the entry form with the fee to Sportseller, The Athletic Club, International Eye Institute or Dr. Teye-Botchway's office at 129 Front Street - here's the flyer with entry form!
- L'Alliance Française des Bermudes will have their AGM and Annual Dinner, a Brittany-themed soirée at the Dinghy Club on Thursday, March 15th at 7pm. Tickets are available from Pulp and Circumstance and costs $55 for members or $70 for non-members. You can also renew your membership or join up as a new member on the night at a cost of $30, $50 per family or $10 for students. For more information, contact email@example.com – here is the flyer!
- Lemon Tree are starting the St. Patrick's Day festivities a day early on Friday, March 16th with Guinness, Irish Whiskey, Bailey's and green beer from 9am(!), as well as a traditional Irish breakfast and lunch (including Irish Soda Bread) and Irish music playing all day. **UPDATE: until 9pm**
- If this isn't enough for you, that night will also be the relaunch of Happy Hour from 5pm! **UPDATE: Happy Hour will return the following week on Friday, March 23rd – the St. Paddy's celebration will run until 9pm** For any newbies or tourists, the legendary Lemon Tree Wine Down Happy Hour runs from 5pm until midnight with a DJ and regular drink specials. Instead of a cash bar, you buy drinks tickets at $6 each (2011 price), meaning that the bar service is much quicker and it's easier to get rounds in because all drinks are the same price. Later in the year, Lemon Tree will also open out to Par-la-Ville Park, depending how crowded it gets.
- The 2012 edition of the Bermuda Zoological Society's annual 7.2-mile Fun Run/Walk/Ride Around Harrington Sound, Zoom Around The Sound will be on Saturday, March 17th. Entry forms available at Bermuda Aquarium, Museum & Zoo (BAMZ) Front Desk or Sportseller and entry is $20 and includes a goodie bag, special event t-shirt, cool drinks and free entry to BAMZ following the event. For more information call 293-2727 ext. 2130, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org – here's the flyer!
- Bermuda Arts and Fitness Academy presents the 13th Martial Arts Tournament and Demonstrations on Sunday, March 18th from 1pm until 6pm. This will be at Sandys 360 and admission is $10 for adults or $5 for children until 12. For more information, contact Al Wharton at email@example.com or see www.bermudaafa.com – here's the flyer!
- Hot on the heels of Lemon Tree, is the return of Happy Hour at the Fairmont Hamilton Princess on Friday, March 23rd. This runs from 5pm until 9pm in the grounds of the hotel, overlooking Hamilton Harbour and features either a DJ or live performer each week. Prices for drinks tickets vary from $5 to $7 (2011 prices), depending on how early you arrive and how many you buy.
- The great acoustics in Wesley Methodist Church, 41 Church Street will be put to good use on Saturday, March 24th. A Musical Evening with Wesley will feature performing artists Brittney Ferreira (violin), Warwick Academy Jazz Band, Charles Callagan (organ), Renaissance Ringers, Jennie & Gary Skelton, Wesley Church Choir, Bermuda School of Music String Group, Marsden Praise Team and others. A low-key dinner will be available beforehand in the Dyer Hall of Wesley at 6.30pm, with the concert starting at 8pm. Proceeds will be donated to the Women's Resource Centre and the Wesley Organ Fund. Tickets are $30 for the dinner and concert, or $15 for the concert only, and available from Juice 'n' Beans, Otto Wurz, firstname.lastname@example.org or 505-1256 – here's the flyer!
- Also on Saturday, March 24th, Building Blocks Academy will be hosting An Evening of Inspiration and Enlightenment: Benefit Concert, featuring local acts Sia Spence, Serenity, Lloyd Holder, Stephen Easton, McCartney Darrell, Genemon, Andwelle Simons, Big Snipes, Zach Wilson, John Woolridge and more at Heritage Worship Centre. Tickets are $35 and available from Kit 'n' Caboodle, 27th Century, Heritage Worship Centre. All proceeds will be going to the Building Blocks Academy Scholarship Fund, the family of the late Bilal Furquan (who passed away after a cliff-jumping incident last summer), and a performing arts scholarship for Waverley Moran – here's the flyer!
- Sandys 360 will be celebrating its anniversary with Motown Magic on Saturday, March 24th. This event starts off at 7.30pm with a Wall of Fame Presentation to honour 5 exceptional athletes (Randy Horton, Clyde Best, Norbert Simons, Alan Burland and Kitura Horton) and then the party itself will run until 9pm until 3am, featuring live performances by Prestige, and David Skinner's Band featuring music from the 60s, 70s and 80s. This is a fundraiser in aid of Sandys 360 Youth Development Programmes and tickets cost $55 in advance from www.bdatix.com or $65 at the door – here's the flyer!
- Summer Sundays in the Park is back! The first Sunday of the month, there will be a family-friendly entertainment in Victoria Park from 3pm until 8pm between now and September. The first is on May 6th and will have the theme Tribute to Legends. As well as live entertainment, these events will feature a kids' area with fun castles, face-painting, cotton candy and popcorn. If you don't want to take your own picnic with you, there will be food and a light bar available. Future Summer Sundays in the Park will be on June 3rd (Queen's Diamond Jubilee), July 1st (Rockin' de Rock), August 5th (Lift Your Voices) and September 2th (Island Vibes) – here's the flyer!
Quick Recap of Upcoming Bermuda Events
Click on the event name to be taken to the original post with full details. No link means that the details are in this current post. For a handy Calendar view, click here to go to the Bermuda Calendar section:
Re-Interpreting the European Collection - September 1st to May 31st, 2012
Bermuda Department of Tourism Feel The Love Month – January 16th to March 3rd
Learning Disabilities Association of Bermuda (LDAB) AGM - February 29th
Transformation Cocktail Reception and Silent Art Auction - February 29th
Parent Infant Group: Adjusting to Parenting - March 1st
Sankofa Lunch and Learn: Hypertension - March 1st
Summer Camp & Activities Mini Fair - March 2nd
Reiki Level 1 Workshop at Cambridge Beaches – March 3rd
Family Centre: Celebrate the Night - March 3rd
The Hilarious Comedy of Damian the Hypnotist - March 3rd
Lindo's to Lindo's 10K Run and 4 Mile Walk - March 4th
Bermuda 2012 Data Management Conference – March 6th or 7th
Fantasea Whale Watching Excursions - begins March 7th
Nutrifit Course – begins March 7th
Parent Infant Group: Play and Learning - March 8th
Sankofa Lunch and Learn: Asthma - March 8th
Sandys 360 Wet 'n' Wild Corporate and Community Swim Challenge – March 9th
Fight Night XIV: Fists of Fury - March 10th
Bermuda’s First Island Challenge - March 10th
Bermuda Rowing Association Spring Learn-to-Row courses - begins March 10th
Living Art Show – March 10th
Comedy & Magic - March 11th
10th Annual Eye Institute Classic – March 11th
Hasty Pudding Theatricals: There Will Be Flood - March 14th to 16th
Parent Infant Group: Feeding and Nutrition - March 15th
Sankofa Lunch and Learn: Migraines - March 15th
L'Alliance Française des Bermudes AGM and Annual Dinner – March 15th
St. Patrick's Day at Lemon Tree- March 16th
Zoom Around The Sound – March 17th
13th Martial Arts Tournament and Demonstrations – March 17th
Parent Infant Group: Taking Care of Yourself - March 22nd
Annual Bacardi National Par-3 Championship - March 23rd to 25th
Lemon Tree Wine Down Happy Hour – March 23th
Happy Hour at the Fairmont Hamilton Princess restarts – March 23rd
Motown Magic – March 24th
A Musical Evening with Wesley – March 24th
An Evening of Inspiration and Enlightenment: Benefit Concert – March 24th
Bermuda's Entertainers at Their Best - April 7th
Business Bermuda Seminars: Investing for Retirement - April 12th
Summer Sundays in the Park: Tribute to Legends – May 6th
Summer Sundays in the Park: Queen's Diamond Jubilee- June 3rd
Summer Sundays in the Park: Rockin' de Rock - July 1st
Summer Sundays in the Park: Lift Your Voices – August 5th
Summer Sundays in the Park: Island Vibes - September 2nd
Enjoy the rest of the week!