March 7th, 2012
It's a gigantic monster of a post for you today with lots of upcoming Bermuda events and things to do:
- La Serena Spa at The Reefs are hosting an event entitled Achieve Better Health Through Reflexology tonight at 6.30pm and they invite you to come and learn more about reflexology with Fiona. This therapy works on reflex points on the feet and hands which affects the entire body and the mind and all attendees will be offered a 15% discount on their next reflexology appointment with Fiona. To RSVP, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 239-0184 (internal ext. 242).
- Currently on show at the Rick Faries Gallery at Masterworks is a special photographic exhibitition of US Presidents in Bermuda, Between Friends: 65 Years of Bermudian-American Diplomatic Relations. The exhibit will run until March 14th – here's the flyer!
- Gombey's Bar & Restaurant in St. David's will be reopening for the season this Friday, March 9th. From 7pm until late, they invite you to come enjoy food, drinks, live music, DJs and more.
- The Bermudian Magazine are once again running their Most Amazing Proposal Contest. If you are a bride or groom-to-be who'd like to enter, all you have to do is email your engagement/proposal photo plus a maximum of 100 words on what made the proposal so amazing, unique or romantic (including the photographer’s name, the name of the engaged couple and the proposal date) to info@ thebermudian.com by Friday, March 9th. They will then create an album of all the entries on Bermudian Wedding’s Facebook page, ask the public to Like their favourite Most Amazing Proposal and the person with the most Likes wins. Voting begins on Monday, March 12th and ends on Sunday, March 18th. The winner will be announced on Monday, March 19th and will win a two-night stay at Rosewood Tucker’s Point including breakfast daily, champagne and a personalized amenity for the bride and groom – here's the flyer!
- The Bermuda Philharmonic Society presents Strike up the Band!, a fundraising concert conducted by Conrad Roach on Sunday March 11th. This will be at 4.30pm at Bermuda Institute Auditorium on Middle Road, Southampton (opposite Heron Bay Market Place). Tickets are $30, $15 for students and seniors, $50 for Patrons and will be available at the door or from BPS Members. Profits from this concert will be used toward music scholarships for students studying music locally – here's the flyer!
- L'Alliance Française des Bermudes have announced the film titles for the next few editions of their monthly Ciné Club at 8pm on the second Tuesday of the month at BUEI. Tuesday, March 13th will be The Taste of Others, Tuesday April 10th will be Look at Me and Tuesday, May 8th will be Beautiful Lies. Tickets are $5 for members, $8 for non-members and $3 students. Full details can be found at www.alliancefrancaise.bm.
- The Centre on Angle Street Advanced Leisure Seniors Club are having a Bowling event at Warwick Lanes on Wednesday, March 14th. The cover charge is $4.50 and you can bring your own lunch or eat at the canteen there. If you don't have access to transport, the van will leave The Centre at 10.40am sharp (limited spaces), otherwise, you can meet them at 11am for an 11.30am start. To register your spot, please RSVP by noon on Friday, March 9th to Riche Robinson on 735-2081, 292-1343 or email@example.com – here's the flyer!
- Also on Wednesday, March 14th, Ann Smith Gordon MBE JP will present Homes, Gardens and Villages of Beautiful England 26th Audio Visual Slide Presentation to benefit P.A.L.S. at 8pm in Mount St. Agnes School Auditorium. Tickets are $15 and available from P.A.L.S. volunteers or from the P.A.L.S. office at 18 Point Finger Road, Paget. For more information, please call 236-7257. All Proceeds to P.A.L.S.
- One of my favourite events of the year, the Bermuda International Film Festival (BIFF), is coming to Liberty Theatre next week! Fellow fans of independent cinema should mark your diaries from Friday, March 16th until Thursday, March 22nd. Most films have won top awards at other film festivals and some are even Oscar nominees. Tickets cost $13 for BIFF Members or $15 for non-members, with the exception of the opening and closing films which cost $20 for members and $25 for non-members. No advance tickets will be available on the door but rush tickets ($10 cash only) will be available 5 minutes prior to screening when seats are still available. For more information call 293-3456 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For the full film schedule, or to buy online from 11am today, see http://tickets.biff.bm/Complete-Event-Time-List/. Alternatively, you can visit the physical box office at Freisenbruch Meyer at 75 Front Street – here's the flyer!
- Materworks latest Artist in Residence Exhibit will feature Karen Leff showcasing her acrylic paintings, painted objects and jewellery in the Rick Faries Gallery. The offical opening will be on Friday, March 16th from 5.30pm until 7pm and the exhibit will run until March 28th – here's the flyer!
- If you dream of your child playing in a future Cup Match, then you'll be interested to know that Bermuda Cricket Board (BCB) are offering free Pee Wee "Have-a-Go" Cricket for 5 to 7 year olds. The Pee Wee Cricket Program introduces the game of cricket in a fun, structured and safe environment and runs every Saturday from March 17th until April 14th at Berkeley Gymnasium. 5 year olds will be shown the ropes from 1.30pm until 2.30pm and 6 to 7 year olds are from 3pm until 4pm. The BCB utilises internationally qualified level I and level II coaches and aims to provide a maximum of 1 to 10 coach/player ratio. The National U15s and U19s players volunteer as peer mentors to all Pee Wee Cricketers during the programme and there is a free skill-building session for parents too. For more information, or to register, contact 292-8958 or email@example.com – here's the flyer!
- Another option to celebrate all things Irish on St. Patrick's Day – Flanagan's presents Shamrock and Roll 2012 on Saturday, March 17th at Pier 6. From 6pm until 1am, you can enjoy live music from Lucky 13 from Toronto, Canada (billed as Bermuda's favourite band from the Rugby Classic and Shamrock and Roll 2010), local band Working Title, and Craggy Island Duo, Flanagan's favourite entertainers from Ireland. Tickets are $32.50 and are available from www.bdatix.com – here's the flyer!
- As a greedy girl, I get very excited by this kind of thing - the City Food Festival will run from Monday, March 19th until Saturday, March 24th. From 8am until 9am (or while supplies last) on the 19th, they will kick off the Food Festival with a complimentary continental breakfast in front of City Hall. On Thursday, March 22nd from 5pm until 8pm, there will be a Culinary Walk in Chancery Lane with all the businesses open to serve food with some additional ambience décor and entertainment. There will be special samples and discounts provided throughout the night. Finally, on Saturday, March 24th from 12 noon until 10pm there will be a Food Festival on Bermudiana Road with more than a dozen City restaurants and bars featured offering a wide variety of foods and specialty drinks. Tickets cost $40 and are available at www.premiertickets.bm or at the event – here's the flyer!
- Saturday, March 24th will be a celebration of Bermuda's very best asset at the first annual Beach Art Festival. This event will feature World Beach Art Champion,Frenchman Sam Dougados, who will be holding free demonstrations on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday at Horseshoe Bay. Artists of all skill levels are invited to participate from 12.30pm until 3.30pm at as many beaches as possible, including Chaplin Bay, Church Bay, Elbow Beach, Jobson's Cove, John Smith's Bay, Horseshoe Bay, St. Catherine's Beach, Warwick Long Bay and more. In addition, there will also be Yoga from 3.30pm until 4.30pm, Kite Surfing, Windsurfing and Paddleboard Demos from 3pm until 5.30pm and a Children's Playmobil Contest from 2pm unti l3.30pm. The Awards will be on Sunday, March 25th at Horseshoe Bay between 12 noon and 2pm and sponsors L'Alliance Française des Bermudes invite you to bring a picnic and enjoy the Bermuda Beach Art Festival photo exhibit and a game of boules with them. For more information, see their website at www.alliancefrancaise.bm – here's the flyer!
- Also on Saturday, March 24th, the Bermuda Triathlon Association will be hosting their Annual Awards Dinner at Riddell’s Bay Golf & Country Club. Their special guest speaker for the evening is Chrissie Wellington, four-time champion at the Ironman World Championships, and the current World Ironman Distance Record holder. Drinks will be served at 6.30pm with the buffet dinner at 7.30pm. Ticket prices are $70 for adults ($55 for members) and $35 for children aged 12 and under ($27.50 for non-members) with part proceeds in support of Bermuda's Paralympic contenders. For tickets, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Centre on Angle Street Advanced Leisure Seniors Club invite all bakers to participate in their Baking Exhibition on Wednesday, March 28th from 11am until 1.30pm. The cover charge is $4 and judges will be on site to test and taste your entries. The categories are jam/preserves, cookies, cakes, breads, puddings, brownies or any dessert that can be baked and ribbons will be awarded for taste, texture and creativity. To participate, please RSVP by noon on Friday, March 23rd to Riche Robinson on 735-2081, 292-1343 or email@example.com – here's the flyer/entry form!
- The Bermuda School of Music presents Bermuda Chamber Choir in concert at St. Paul's in Paget **UPDATE: This has been moved to Wesley Methodist Church** on Tuesday, March 27th and Wednesday, March 28th. Season of Passion and Special Music for a Royal Occasion will feature Ron Campbell (Music Director and Conductor), Charles Callahan (Guest Organist), Requiem by John Rutter and newly-composed music commisioned for the Wedding of William and Kate, and the local premiere of works by Bermuda-born composer Gabriel Jackson. The concert starts at 7.30pm and tickets are available from C Travel, Bermuda School of Music or AFL Investments at a cost of $25 for adults or $15 for students - here's the flyer!
- Saturday, March 31st is the last Saturday of the month (yes, my name is Captain Obvious), which means that it's Super Saturday at Masterworks! Each month has a different theme and this one will be Shapes and Numbers, where families can participate in free shapes and number-themed arts and craft activities from 10am until 2pm. Full details can be found at www.bermudamasterworks.com – here's the flyer!
- Wondering what to do with your little darlings/terrors over the Easter Break? Sandys 360 are running an Easter Camp from April 2nd to 6th. From 8am until 6pm, your child can enjoy activities such as character counts, creative writing, field trips, sports, games and more. The cost is $125 but anyone registering before March 23rd will receive 15% off. For more information, or to register, contact Tia Tankard at firstname.lastname@example.org – here's the flyer!
- Nothing says Spring quite like a beer-soaked boat! The countdown has begun for the first booze cruise of 2012 - the Renegades RFC Booze Cruise will be on Thursday, April 5th (don't worry, the next day is a public holiday) and the boat, The Bermudian, will depart Albuoy’s Point at 7pm sharp, returning at 10pm. Tickets are $60 in advance, available from email@example.com and the price includes all you can drink - here's the flyer!
- More good news for art-lovers – the 2012 City Art Festival will run from Thursday, April 26th until Thursday, May 3rd. This will launch with SPArt Opening at Common Ground on Chancery Lane on Thursday, April 26th. From 5.30pm until 7.30pm, there will be more than 20 artists, entertainment and dining specials. Saturday, April 28th will be Art in the Park from 2pm until 7pm in Par-la-ville Park with live entertainment all day, art vendors featuring visual and performing arts, kids play area, kids crafts, merchandise area with locally made goods, food court with dining area, face painting, tattoos and more. Thursday, May 3rd will be Art in the Dark, a Happy Hour-type atmosphere at City Hall from 5.30pm until 8.30pm. Art vendors will be out on the lawn and there will be live entertainment throughout the evening, a cash bar and complimentary hors d'oeuvres available from the foyer. Both Art Galleries in the building, BSoA and BNG will be open for business as well and they encourage patrons to continue the evening enjoying a lovely dining experience downtown at a few of the participating restaurants, which will also highlight Artists Work for the entire month of May (full details will be on www.cityhall.bm once available) - here's the flyer!
- A few new additions to the Regular/Recurring Events Section - Quizmaster Paul and his able assistant Judith are hosting Quiz Night at Frog & Onion every Tuesday at 7.30pm. The cost is $3 per person and a special quiz menu and great prizes (including cash) are available. For any questions, call Frog & Onion on 234-2900 or Quizmaster Paul on 541-0663. Another Quiz Night is at the other end of the Island at the Swizzle Inn at Bailey's Bay. Trivia Thursdays with Mike Bishop , begin at 8pm – reservations are recommended. Bermuda Bistro at The Beach offer Two for Tuesdays and Bistro Fridays with drinks offers and every Saturday night until April 7th at Docksiders is Spring Fling @ Dockies with special drinks prices and giveaways. Due to popular demand, the Olde Towne Market in St. George's has moved from Sundays to Saturdays and will run up until April 14th. After a two week break, they will then run until July 7th. New vendors are welcome – to be a vendor, you must either be a registered gardener, farmer or fisherman, or have the correct food vendor licenses, or have a pedlar's license in order to sell dry imported goods. Artists and crafts people are exempt from this and do not need a license. If interested, email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
Quick Recap of Upcoming Bermuda Events
Click on the event name to be taken to the original post with full details. No link means that the details are in this current post. For a handy Calendar view, click here to go to the Bermuda Calendar section:
Re-Interpreting the European Collection - September 1st to May 31st, 2012
Between Friends: 65 Years of Bermudian-American Diplomatic Relations – March 2nd to 14th
Bermuda 2012 Data Management Conference - March 6th or 7th
Fantasea Whale Watching Excursions - begins March 7th
Nutrifit Course - begins March 7th
Achieve Better Health Through Reflexology – March 7th
Parent Infant Group: Play and Learning - March 8th
Sankofa Lunch and Learn: Asthma - March 8th
Gombey's Bar & Restaurant reopens – March 9th
Bermudian Magazine Most Amazing Proposal Contest deadline – March 9th
Fight Night XIV: Fists of Fury - March 10th
Bermuda’s First Island Challenge - March 10th
Bermuda Rowing Association Spring Learn-to-Row courses - begins March 10th
Living Art Show – March 10th
Comedy & Magic - March 11th
10th Annual Eye Institute Classic - March 11th
Bermuda Philharmonic Society presents Strike up the Band! – March 11th
L'Alliance Française des Bermudes Ciné Club: The Taste of Others – March 13th
Hasty Pudding Theatricals: There Will Be Flood - March 14th to 16th
Advanced Leisure Seniors Club Bowling at Warwick Lanes – March 14th
Homes, Gardens and Villages of Beautiful England 26th Audio Visual Slide Presentation to benefit P.A.L.S. – March 14th
Parent Infant Group: Feeding and Nutrition - March 15th
Sankofa Lunch and Learn: Migraines - March 15th
St. Patrick's Day at Lemon Tree - March 16th
Lemon Tree Wine Down Happy Hour - March 16th
Bermuda International Film Festival (BIFF) – March 16th to 22nd
Artist in Residence Exhibit: Karen Leff – March 16th to 28th
Zoom Around The Sound - March 17th
13th Martial Arts Tournament and Demonstrations - March 17th
Bermuda Cricket Board (BCB) Pee Wee "Have-a-Go" Cricket – begins March 17th
Shamrock and Roll 2012 – March 17th
City Food Festival – March 19th to 24th
Parent Infant Group: Taking Care of Yourself - March 22nd
Annual Bacardi National Par-3 Championship - March 23rd to 25th
Motown Magic - March 24th
A Musical Evening with Wesley - March 24th
Bermuda Beach Art Festival – March 24th
Bermuda Triathlon Association Annual Awards Dinner – March 24th
Bermuda Chamber Choir: Season of Passion and Special Music for a Royal Occasion – March 27th and 28th
Advanced Leisure Seniors Club Baking Exhibition – March 28th
Super Saturday at Masterworks: Shapes and Numbers - March 31st
Sandys 360 Easter Camp – April 2nd to 6th
Renegades RFC Booze Cruise – April 5th
Bermuda's Entertainers at Their Best - April 7th
L'Alliance Française des Bermudes Ciné Club: Look at Me – April 10th
Business Bermuda Seminars: Investing for Retirement - April 12th
City Art Festival – April 26th to May 3rd
L'Alliance Française des Bermudes Ciné Club: Beautiful Lies – May 8th
Summer Sundays in the Park: Rockin' de Rock - July 1st
Summer Sundays in the Park: Lift Your Voices - August 5th
Summer Sundays in the Park: Island Vibes - September 2nd
Enjoy the rest of the week!