- Well, after a long hiatus and months of speculation and rumours, Cafe Cairo will finally reopen tonight at 5pm. They will be having Happy Hour, Monday to Saturday, from 5pm until 7pm with 20% off food and drink. To celebrate opening night tonight, they will have Happy Hour prices all night long. Call 295-5155 for reservations.
- L’Alliance Francaise des Bermudes invites all to a French film evening tonight at the Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute (BUEI) at 8pm. The chosen film is Ne le dis à personne by Guillaume Canet and Luc Besson with François Cluzet, Kristin Scott Thomas and Nathalie Baye. Unsurprisingly, this film will be in French but with English subtitles. Tickets are available at the door and cost $3 for students, $5 for members and $8 for non-members.
- Fans of independent cinema will be glad to know that more options will be coming soon! Beginning Sunday, September 19th (**UPDATE** This has been postponed until Sunday, September 26th due to Hurricane Igor), The Weekend Film Series, a joint production of Bermuda Documentary Film Festival director Duncan Hall and BUEI, will be held monthly. The two films showing are Mid-August Lunch, by director Gianni Di Gregorio (the screenwriter of acclaimed Italian film Gomorrah), which will screen at 3pm, followed at 4.30pm by The Oath, by director Laura Poitras (she was nominated for an Oscar for the previous film in this same series). Tickets to each film are $15 and are available on the door or from the gift shop at BUEI. I have included the future dates in the Quick Recap below – they’ll be taking a break in October for Bermuda Docs. For details, see http://www.buei.org/index/whatsnew/i/7/.
- The Bermuda Police Service Gymkhana makes its return after more than a 20 year absence! I have to admit that I have never heard of this before but it was apparently a popular community event which will take place on Saturday, October 2nd at Police Field in Prospect, Devonshire between 10am and 5.30pm. Everyone is encouraged to come out for a fun-filled day that will allow youngsters of all ages to participate in bicycle activities and races within a safe environment, while fostering positive interactions with police officers. All that is required to take part is a working bicycle and an approved bicycle helmet. This event, which kicks off Police Week 2010, is one of the many ways the Bermuda Police Service is helping to improve relations between the police and the community. The Police Gymkhana 2010 will also feature the Bermuda Long Riders Motorcycle Club, The Bermuda Bicycle Association, The Bermuda Road Safety Council, Crime Stoppers Bermuda and the Roads Policing Unit. Here’s the poster!
- As mentioned above, Bermuda Documentary Film Festival (Bermuda Docs) will be held from Friday, October 22nd until Sunday, October 24th at BUEI. This festival features the world’s best documentary feature films – I went last year and they had a really good selection. Tickets are $15 and available from Friday October 8th from www.bdatix.bm, the iStore on Reid Street, or Fabulous Fashions at Heron Bay Plaza in Southampton.
- Ferrari Bar at LV’s have sent me a poster of their Happy Hour Spectacular Buffet offer from 4.30pm until 7.30pm, Monday to Friday. Highballs and beer are $6 and wine is $8, plus you can enjoy a complimentary array of snacks. Here’s the poster with details.
- Just received the poster for the Gilbert & Sullivan Society of Bermuda show, The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas – here it is, tickets are on sale now at www.premiertickets.bm.
- Polished, a local mobile beauty therapist, are currently running a special 10% discount off your first treatment for new customers. This offer is valid for the month of September – and the best part is, they come to you! Here’s the flyer and you can find the full price list and contact details on the Facebook Page at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Polished/169126578779?ref=ts
L’Alliance Francaise des Bermudes Film Evening – September 14th
Cafe Cairo reopens – September 14th
Evening Magical Wand-Making Workshop – September 16th
Ghost Hunt and Moon Spell Evening – September 18th
The Global Mala Yoga Beach Party – September 18th
2 Day Psychic Retreat – September 18th-19th
Four Seasons City Family Festival – September 19th
Mariners RFC School Disco Rugby Season Kick-Off Party – September 25th
Sunshine League Moonwalk – September 25th
My Sereni-Tea Tea-Tasting and Tarot Evening – September 25th
Ghost Hunt and Moon Spell Evening – September 25th
2 Day Psychic Retreat – September 25th-26th
Weekend Film Series – September 26th
Bermuda Hockey Federation Wine-Tasting Series – September 30th
Bermuda Music Festival 2010– September 30th to October 2nd
The Alchemy of Love – October 2nd
Bermuda Police Service Gymkhana – October 2nd
G&S The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas – October 6th-16th
27th PGA Grand Slam of Golf – October 18th to 20th
Bermuda Docs – October 22nd to 24th
Sybil’s Dynamic International Female Impersonators – October 23rd
Melange Fundraising Cocktail Evening – October 23rd
World Rugby Classic Week – November 5th to 12th
SheROX Bermuda Triathalon – November 14th
Weekend Film Series – November 21st
Bermuda Hockey Federation Wine-Tasting Series – December 2nd
TRFC Fight Night XII: Festive Fists – December 4th
Weekend Film Series – January 16th
Weekend Film Series – February 20th