July 4th, 2012
Morning Ladies and Gents!
So, this is the first post of the second half of 2012. It also happens to be Independence Day, when we honour the bravery of Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum, who saved the world from alien invaders back in the 90s. Cause for celebration all round, I’d say..? Here are the latest Bermuda events:
- A little additional incentive to check out Harbour Nights this week – Pump It Up is the 3rd high heel fundraiser in support of the Bermuda Hospitals Charitable Trust and their signature event Runway WalkOff will take centre stage on Front Street tonight. 6 pairs of participants entered into a friendly competition to see who would raise the most funds. The victor of each pairing will be announced tonight and will win the opportunity to hang onto their shoes and watch as their opponent walks the runway in high heels. For more information, please see www.bhct.bm.
- Also tonight, Sea Breeze Lounge at Elbow Beach are having a 4th of July Celebration. In addition to their usual sushi and tapas, they will be offering a traditional American Barbecue Platter before the fireworks begin at 9.15pm. For reservations, contact 236-9884 or email@example.com – here’s the flyer!
- The Bermuda Musical & Dramatic Society (BMDS) present their latest production, Tom Stoppard’s award-winning play Arcadia, at Daylesford Theatre. The show will run from Thursday, July 5th until Saturday, July 14th (no performances on the 8th or 9th) at 8pm each night. Tickets are $30 and are available online from www.bmds.bm – here’s the flyer which also contains physical box office details!
- Local band Giant Steps are recording a DVD to send to Cuban Cultural officials to be considered for entry to the December 2013 Havana International Jazz Festival and they invite you to come along and show your support! The live recording will be at Club 3:16 (formerly Hubie’s) on Angle Street) on Saturday, July 7th at 2pm. Admission costs $10 and Dale Butler’s fishcakes will be available for $5. A selection of books at a cost of $5 will also be on sale at this event, including Triumph of the Spirit, Mazumbo: The Life of Dr. E.F. Gordon, Ed Sherlock, Successfully Raising Bermuda Boys, It Takes A Smiling Raindrop and On this Island the Natives. Tickets can be reserved by calling Dale Butler on 505-3409.
- Can’t wait for Cup Match to get your cricket fix? The Bermuda Cricket Board presents Hiscox U11 Celebrity Cricket Festival at the National Sports Centre, North Field on Saturday, July 7th. This kicks off at 9.30am with an 11&U East v West game, followed by a Celebrities vs 11&U All Star Team at 1pm. This event is free with free children’s activities, including a fun castle, fun slide, facepainting and a free lunch and t-shirt for the first 200 to attend. The Celebrity Team this year will include Glenn Blakeney JP MP, Michael Scott JP MP, Kim Wilson JP MP, Michael Weeks JP MP, Michael Jackman, Power Girl, Nadanja Bailey, Teresa Perozzi, Jay Donowa, Dwayne Leverock, Lionel Cann, Ashley Estwanik, Christopher Estwanik and more. For more information, contact 292-8959 or firstname.lastname@example.org – here’s the flyer!
- More damp diversions from Snorkel Park as F5 Entertainment Group presents The Bad Girls Club Beach Bash: The Reunion on Saturday, July 7th. The fun kicks off at 10pm and will have three celebrity hosts. Elease Donovan and Amy Cieslowski from Bad Girls Club 8 will be in Bermuda for the first time and we’ll be welcoming back Wilmarie Sena from Bad Girls Club 6. Dress to get wet as this event will feature water slides, super soakers, foam pits, 2 The Bermy Bulls, fun castle, dunk tanks, slip n slides, wet t-shirt competition, super-abs competition, trampolines, beach balls, drinking games and music from DJs iMega, YGS, King Jyrus, DJ Aztec and D’General. To make transport a little easier, there will be a ferry to and from Snorkel Park, leaving Albouys Point at midnight and leaving Dockyard at 3am. The VIP Package includes access to both VIP areas (upstairs & behind stage), express entry line, free admission to We Own The Night on July 6th at Moon, water balloons, water gun, 2 special drinks and a round trip ferry from Albouy’s Point. Advance tickets are $35, or $75 for VIPs and are available from Kit n Caboodle, Jazzy Boutique, Mambo, The Garage, Event Admins and DJs or online at www.bdatix.bm – here’s the flyer!
- In the latest in their series of theme balls this summer, Pickled Onion presents their Disco Ball party on Saturday, July 7th. The fun will run from 10pm until 3am and promises special decor, live music from their new in-house band Grafitti Park, drinks specials and more, with a suggested dress code of 70s disco attire – there will be prizes for the best outfit!
- The Chewstick Foundation want to send eight young people to Russell Simmons’ Brave New Voices Poetry & Spokenword Festival in San Francisco, to represent Bermuda for the first time in history and will be hosting a fundraiser on Sunday, July 8th. ChewSLAM Fundraiser Poetry Concert will start at 8pm at the Ruth Seaton James Center for the Performing Arts, (7pm opening reception) and will feature Alan Smith, Heather Nova, Ras Mykkal, Stephan Johnstone,Vejay Steede, Yesha Townsend and more. Tickets are $15 for students, $30 for regular and $50 for patrons and are available from The Chewstick Headquarters, www.ptix.bm, and Kit ‘n’ Caboodle – here’s the flyer!
- Party People Entertainment present a triple header at White’s Island as Fantasy Island Weekend promises 3 Nights, 3 Parties and 3 Different Vibes. Friday, July 13th will feature DJ Private Ryan from Trinidad, alongside D General and Dynasty Sound, playing the best of Soca and Top 40 from 10pm until 3am. The first boat leaves Albuoys Point at 10pm. On Saturday, July 14th, Hot 97’s DJ Magic, alongside Rusty G/Vybez Alliance and DJ Jim Brown will be playing the best in Hip Hop and Dancehall from 10pm until 3am. Finally, on Sunday, July 15th, Stone Love from Jamaica, alongside Souljah One and Awesome Sound will be playing the best in Reggae, Old School and New from 8pm until 1am. The first boat leaves Albuoys Point at 8pm and there will be food on sale by Jamaican Grill. Tickets for each event cost $35 and are available from Kit ‘n’ Caboodle, Luvit Boutique, Chew Stick Foundation, Party People Promoters or 331-6016 – here’s the flyer!
- Need a little more peace and harmony in your life? My Sereni-Tea run an Angel Healing Circle every month on a Saturday afternoon with the aim of giving you the opportunity to connect with the Archangels and share with others in a safe and healing space. The next one will be on Saturday, July 14th from 5.30pm until 7pm at a cost of $35. For more details, or to register, contact Celtic Sisters on 296-2114 or email@example.com. Everyone who attends will be entered into a draw for a special Angelic gift – here’s the flyer!
- Francophiles will be aware that Bastille Day is coming up on Saturday, July 14th and who better to celebrate with than l’Alliance Française des Bermudes? This year they will be hosting a dinner at Bolero from 6.30pm and you are invited to come dressed as a sans-culotte or in red, white and blue. Tickets are on sale until July 11th at Pulp & Circumstance and cost $75 for members or $90 for non-members (including grats). For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org – here’s the flyer and here’s the menu!
- My Sereni-Tea are hosting a three week summer course investigating topics such as spirituality, the human energy system and crystals. Women’s Healing Circle will be from 5.30pm until 7.30pm on Wednesday, July 18th, Saturday, July 28th and Saturday, August 11th. Chakra Crystal set, pendulum and all course materials included! The cost is $150, which includes a Chakra Crystal set, pendulum and all course materials, with a $50 deposit required to secure your course. For more information, or to register, contact 296-2114 or email@example.com – here’s the flyer!
Quick Recap of Upcoming Bermuda Events
Click on the event name to be taken to the original post with full details. No link means that the details are in this current post. For a handy Calendar view, click here to go to the Bermuda Calendar section:
Bermuda Magic: The Renaissance – June 3rd to November 1st
Biennial Exhibition of Contemporary Bermuda Art – June 15th to November 24th
Youth Camera Action (YCA) Photography Exhibition – June 15th to July 4th
Sandys 360 Summer Academy & Camp – June 28th to August 31st
Summer Camp at Somerset School of Dancing – July 2nd to July 13th
Sandys 360 Aquatics Camp – July 2nd to August 31st
Pump It Up: Runway WalkOff – July 4th
Sea Breeze Lounge at Elbow Beach 4th of July Celebration – July 4th
Bermuda Musical & Dramatic Society: Arcadia – July 5th to 14th
City Festival Evolution Fashion Show – July 7th
Cambridge Beaches Sunrise Yoga Kayaking – July 7th
Giant Steps Live DVD Recording – July 7th
Bermuda Cricket Board: Hiscox U11 Celebrity Cricket Festival – July 7th
The Bad Girls Club Beach Bash: The Reunion – July 7th
Disco Ball at Pickled Onion – July 7th
Miss Bermuda Pageant 2012 – July 8th
ChewSLAM Fundraiser Poetry Concert – July 8th
Fantasy Island Weekend – July 13th to 15th
My Sereni-Tea Angel Healing Circle – July 14th
L’Alliance Française des Bermudes: Bastille Day at Bolero – July 14th
My Sereni-Tea Women’s Healing Circle Course – begins July 18th
Teachers RFC Ladies T Party – July 21st
CultureFest: Unity in the Community – July 21st and 22nd
It’s a Doll’s World – July 22nd to August 4th
Community Family Movie Nights: Joseph – July 27th
6th Annual Soca vs Reggae Cup Match After-Party – August 3rd
Summer Sundays in the Park: Lift Your Voices – August 5th
Correia Construction National Championship Motocross – August 5th
Correia Construction National Championship Motocross – August 19th
Community Family Movie Nights: Courageous – August 24th
Summer Sundays in the Park: Island Vibes – September 2nd
Correia Construction National Championship Motocross – September 2nd
The Family Centre’s Beach Bash – September 14th
Correia Construction National Championship Motocross – September 16th
Correia Construction National Championship Motocross – September 30th
Correia Construction National Championship Motocross – October 14th
Mount Saint Agnes Academy (MSA) Bazaar: Nursery Rhymes – October 19th and 20th
Bermuda Kennel Club’s 2012 Bermuda Dog Shows – October 20th to 21st
Correia Construction National Championship Motocross – October 28th
Bad news for anyone who thought that Splash was based on a true story – the US Government says No:
Enjoy the rest of the week!