April 11th, 2012
Hope you all had a wonderful Easter – I know I certainly did! I may have indulged a little too much as I am starting to become the shape of an Easter egg. Anyway, here are the latest Bermuda events:
- Due to popular demand, The Tartan Panda Extravaganza, the Caledonian Society of Bermuda's Scottish-Chinese menu at Chopsticks has been extended until the end of April – full details and menus can be found here!
- Chewstick's T.W.I.G.S. Youth Open-Mic is back this coming Saturday, April 14th at The Chewstick Neo-griot Lounge. T.W.I.G.S. (True Wisdom in Growing Souls) aims to empower Bermuda's youngest artists (under-18s) to take ownership of their talents, and gives them a positive social outlet that can help them to grow and connect with each other. This will be from 6pm until 9pm and creative young people who can rap, sing, dance, play an instrument or write poetry, and are interested in performing, are encouraged to get there early to sign-up. Entry is $5 (additional donations toward the Chewstick Foundation are appreciated) and soft drinks and snacks will be available for purchase. Adults are encouraged to attend – but ONLY if accompanied by a young person in their lives. This will be on the second Saturday of every month so future dates are May 12th and June 9th. For further information contact 292-2439 or email@example.com – here's the flyer!
- Bermuda Ocean Explorers and Keep Bermuda Beautiful are hosting a Marine Debris Clean Up at WhaleBone Bay, Ferry Reach, St. George's on Sunday, April 15th. Following a short presentation at 2pm sharp, the cleanup will continue until 4pm. KBB and sponsors will be providing gloves and bags and there will be food, snacks, juice, water and music. SCUBA Divers will be in the water and anyone interested in joining the dive effort is asked to contact them in advance. If the weather is bad at noon that day, then the event will be cancelled but you can confirm by calling 599-5080 or following them on Twitter @bdaoceanexplore for live updates – here's the flyer!
- The Frog and Onion Pub is 20 years old this month and invites you to join in the celebrations! On Sunday, April 15th they will have prices rolled back to what they were in 1992, a Dunk Tank with Carol West, Andrew Dias, Alan Burland, Chris West (with all proceeds to Bermuda Sloop Foundation), Frog Face Painting with an appearance and photo op from Frog Mascot Jean Paul, Marshall the Magician MC and show, live music from Wayne Davis, a Puppet Show by Cornerstone from 4pm until 5pm, and a raffle for great frog prizes. On Sunday, April 22nd, there will be another appearance from Jean Paul the Frog, rolled-back 1992 prices, Marshall's kids' show, Birthday Cup Cakes, and a raffle for great Frog prizes. Finally, on Saturday, April 28th, there will again be rolled back 1992 prices, a raffle and appearance by Jean Paul as well as a Frog race for Bermuda Arts Centre at Dockyard and music from Tony Brannan and Tony Cox. For more information, seehttp://www.frogandonion.bm/birthday_celebrations - here's the flyer!
- The 74th Annual Bermuda Agricultural Exhibition (formerly known as the Ag Show) will be at the Botanical Gardens from Thursday, April 19th until Sunday, April 21st from 8am until 6pm. As well as the usual exhibits of flowers, vegetables and animals, the show will feature local bands, equestrian events, dance troupes, school choirs, storytelling, Ag Show Drumline competition, feed the "kid" goat competition, dog agility, community booths, craft vendors, food stalls, school exhibits and more. Entry is $10 for adults, $5 for seniors or children under 16 and free for children under 5. Full details can be found at www.bdaexhibition.bm.
- From Friday, April 20th until Sunday, April 22nd the Spring edition of the Bermuda Documentary Film Festival (Bermuda Docs) will be held in the Tradewinds Auditorium of the BUEI. Tickets are $15 per film and available online from www.bdatix.com or from All Wrapped Up or Fabulous Fashions. For more information, call 232-2255, email firstname.lastname@example.org or see the website at www.bermudadocs.com for film synopses and trailers - here's the programme!
- In celebration of what would have been his 61st Birthday, BermudaNightOut present a Luther Vandross Tribute Concert at The Fairmont Hamilton Princess on Sunday, April 22nd at 6.30pm. Hosted by Bootsie, this event will feature Ruben Studdard, winner of American Idol Season 2 as well as local talent Jamie Zuill and Robert Edwards, Lloyd Holder and Gita Blakeney. Tickets are $85, or $150 for VIPs, and can be purchased at www.bdatix.bm, All Wrapped Up in Washington Mall and Fabulous Fashions at Heron Bay Plaza - here's the flyer!
- Time to get creative, the Mariners RFC Annual Mad Hatter's Party is coming on Saturday, April 28th from 8pm until 1am. There are prizes for Best Hat and Worst Hat so get your thinking cap on (pun intended). As usual, this will be at the Mariners' Club with an open bar and music will be courtesy of DJ Einstein. Tickets are $60 in advance, $65 on the door and are available from any player or by contacting MarinersRFC@gmail.com – here's the flyer!
- Any female newbies to this island reading this? The International Women's Club (IWC) holds monthly coffee mornings (usually the 3rd Wednesday of every month) specifically for new residents. This aims to help newcomers settle in more quickly while meeting fellow new residents during the initial stages of their transition, which are usually the most difficult. Other activities include walking, an art group, Mah Jong, golf clinic, badminton,book club, social tennis and luncheons. For more details, contact 291-0387, email@example.com or visit www.iwcbermuda.com – here's the flyer!
- Time to get that skin swimsuit-ready – The Spa at Elbow Beach have some special offers for Spring, with two running until April 30th and three running until June 30th - here's the flyer! In addition to this, they are offering a special End-to-End Charity Massage until May 15th with 15% of each treatment donated to the Bermuda End-to-End - here's the flyer!
- Another excuse to pamper yourself, La Serena Spa at The Reefs will give you a spa treatment at 50% off when you book a full-price treatment at an equal or greater value. This offer runs until April 30th – here's the flyer!
Quick Recap of Upcoming Bermuda Events
Click on the event name to be taken to the original post with full details. No link means that the details are in this current post. For a handy Calendar view, click here to go to the Bermuda Calendar section:
Re-Interpreting the European Collection - September 1st to May 31st, 2012
The Tartan Panda Extravaganza Scottish-Chinese Menu at Chopsticks – March 1st to April 30th
BSoA: Members' Spring Show - March 23rd to April 11th
BSoA: Art & Me - March 23rd to April 11th
BSoA: Island of My Eye - March 23rd to April 11th
BSoA: Everything But The Kitchen Sink - March 23rd to April 11th
Bermuda Arts Centre at Dockyard presents The Art of Craft III - March 25th to April 20th
Business Bermuda Seminars: Investing for Retirement - April 12th
Per Mare, Per Terram by Jonah Jones - April 13th to May 1st
G&S Opera: Enchanted Island - April 14th
Chewstick's T.W.I.G.S. Youth Open-Mic – April 14th
Marine Debris Clean Up at WhaleBone Bay – April 15th
The Frog and Onion Pub Birthday Celebration – April 15th
74th Annual Bermuda Agricultural Exhibition (Ag Show) - April 19th to 21st
Bermuda Documentary Film Festival (Bermuda Docs) – April 20th to 22nd
The Frog and Onion Pub Birthday Celebration – April 22nd
Luther Vandross Tribute Concert – April 22nd
Bliss Yoga guided by Kyria - April 23rd
Kaleidoscope Arts Foundation Children's Art Classes - begins April 23rd
Better Health Through Reflexology - April 25th
City Art Festival - April 26th to May 3rd
Lemon Tree Pig in the Park Party - April 27th
G&S Opera: Puccini's Madame Butterfly - April 28th
15th Annual Some Enchanted Evening: Fire 'n' Ice - April 28th
The Frog and Onion Pub Birthday Celebration – April 28th
Mariners RFC Annual Mad Hatter's Party – April 28th
Raw Food Talk - May 9th
G&S Opera: Verdi's La Traviata - May 12th
Chewstick's T.W.I.G.S. Youth Open-Mic – May 12th
Raw Food Workshop - May 16th
Chewstick's T.W.I.G.S. Youth Open-Mic – June 9th
Summer Sundays in the Park: Rockin' de Rock - July 1st
Summer Camp at Somerset School of Dancing - July 2nd to July 13th
It's a Doll's World - July 22nd to August 4th
Summer Sundays in the Park: Lift Your Voices - August 5th
Summer Sundays in the Park: Island Vibes - September 2nd
Hope you enjoy the rest of the week!