April 25th, 2012
Morning Ladies and Gents
Less than one month to go before it's officially summertime in Bermuda and we can go back in the water – yippee! If you're at a loose end today, then there are a few last-minute events below for your consideration:
- I know it's short notice but, those of you that love olde worlde-style pomp and circumstance, take note – the Annual Peppercorn Ceremony for this year is today. During this ceremony, the Governor will will receive the Annual Rent of one Peppercorn for the State House from the Master of Lodge St. George and then will hold a meeting of the Governor’s Council, attended by the Premier and Cabinet Ministers. This quaint tradition includes lots of period costumes, military uniforms, a parade and a horse-drawn carriage, all helping transport you back to 1815 when the ceremony first started. As usual, the Governor will arrive at King’s Square at the very precise time of 10.58am.
- Again, sorry for the short notice but another old favourite is back for the summer season with the return of Harbour Nights tonight! This will be in the usual time-slot from 7pm until 10pm and will continue up until September 5th. Most of you are very familiar with this but for any newbies or tourists reading this, every Wednesday of the summer months, Front Street is closed to traffic and instead is filled with vendor stalls with various arts and crafts, a food court, late night shopping until 9pm and live music and entertainment.
- Another new regular event for tonight is Bermuda’s newest happy hour event, The Mingle at O Bar. This event was created by The Tofumedia Group with the intention of allowing young professionals to come together, meet new people, and create new connections. This will take place every Wednesday from 5pm until 8pm with the signature drink, The Mingle Martini, drinks specials and complimentary hors d’oeuvres – here's the flyer!
- Charlar, a social group aiming to bring together Spanish speakers of all levels, presents its first Noche de Cine (Night of Cinema) tomorrow at 6pm in the Queen Elizabeth Hall at Bermuda High School for Girls on Richmond Road. The chosen film is drama Los Lunes al Sol, starring Javier Bardem, which will have English subtitles , and Karen Jones from Discovery Wines will be offering a white and red Spanish Wine option. For entry to the film, a $5 donation is suggested and $5 per glass for wine tasting with proceeds going to Bermuda High School for Girls. For more information, see their website at http://charlarbermuda.wordpress.com or email email@example.com.
- Also tomorrow, the Youth Library will be hosting Family Story Night from 5.30pm until 7pm. This event aims to encourage and promote family literacy and quality family time and families are encouraged to bring a picnic dinner and blanket to the library for an evening of stories, music and magic. The cost is $5 per family and there will also be door prizes. For more information, contact Marla L. Smith, Youth Services Librarian at 295-0487 or firstname.lastname@example.org – here's the flyer!
- Tomorrow is Haiti Awareness Night at BUEI from 7.30pm with a screening of the documentary, Haiti Village Health, by Bermudian filmaker Robert Zuill. This will be followed by a presentation of Haiti Village Health Clinic and Programs by Dr. Tiffany Keenan, Founder of Haiti Village Health and a discussion by Wesly Guiteau and Nicola Feldman on Experiences with Haiti Village Health. This event is free – here's the flyer!
- Whether you're a student returning home for the summer or you just like to dance like a student, the Annual Welcome Back College Party at Pier 6 promises to kick-off the summer season this Saturday, April 28th. From 9pm until 2am, there will be special guest appearances, giveaways and music from Imega Sound, DJ Rusty G, YGS Entertainment, Supatone Sound and DJ Smokey. Tickets are $20 (free for ladies with college ID before 10.30pm) and available from Bermuda Bistro at the Beach, Kit & Caboodle or Event DJs - here's the flyer!
- The next edition of the BIFFlix Monthly Film Series will be a screening of the Albanian film The Forgiveness of Blood on Sunday, April 29th at the usual venue of BUEI at 6.30pm. For more details, or to buy tickets, please see http://tickets.biff.bm/Event/139/The-Forgiveness-of-Blood/ - here's the flyer!
- The 2012 AGM for the Association of Canadians in Bermuda will be on Wednesday, May 2nd in the Argus Building on Wesley Streeet. The meeting starts at 5.30pm but cocktails will be served from 5pm. All are welcome, particularly if you are interested in becoming a member – here's the flyer!
- This year is the 25th Anniversary of the Catlin End-to-End, which will be on Saturday, May 5th. Full details can be found on www.bermudaendtoend.bm. To help load you up with carbs in advance of this, La Trattoria will be having an All-You-Can-Eat Pasta Buffet on Wednesday, May 2nd from 5.30pm. Tickets are $25 and are available at La Trattoria. For more information, call 295-1877 or e-mail email@example.com - here's the flyer!
- Mother's Day is coming soon and, to help you find that special gift, Wanderlust Boutique and Rene Hill Originals brings you Night Market, a unique shopping event at the Royal Bermuda Yacht Club on Friday, May 4th. From 5pm until 9pm, there will be a cash bar with Happy Hour drinks prices, as you peruse Thai jewelry, t-shirts and decorative gift items from Wanderlust Boutique, traditional Bermuda Cedar handbags, summers scarves, clothing and beach glass crochet jewelry from Rene Hill Originals and ElleTee original pieces. Cash and credit cards will be accepted - here's the flyer!
Quick Recap of Upcoming Bermuda Events
Click on the event name to be taken to the original post with full details. No link means that the details are in this current post. For a handy Calendar view, click here to go to the Bermuda Calendar section:
Re-Interpreting the European Collection - September 1st to May 31st, 2012
The Tartan Panda Extravaganza Scottish-Chinese Menu at Chopsticks - March 1st to April 30th
Per Mare, Per Terram by Jonah Jones - April 13th to May 1st
Better Health Through Reflexology - April 25th
Annual Peppercorn Ceremony – April 25th
Harbour Nights returns – April 25th
The Mingle at O Bar begins – April 25th
City Art Festival - April 26th to May 3rd
All Dressed Up Art Opening - April 26th
Community Health and Nutrition Workshops - April 26th
Charlar Noche de Cine: Los Lunes al Sol - April 26th
Youth Library Family Story Night – April 26th
Haiti Awareness Night – April 26th
Noah Mazé Yoga Weekend Retreat - April 27th to 29th
Lemon Tree Pig in the Park Party - April 27th
G&S Opera: Puccini's Madame Butterfly - April 28th
15th Annual Some Enchanted Evening: Fire 'n' Ice - April 28th
The Frog and Onion Pub Birthday Celebration - April 28th
Mariners RFC Annual Mad Hatter's Party - April 28th
Riddell's Bay Pub Quiz Night - April 28th
Annual Welcome Back College Party at Pier 6 – April 28th
BIFFlix Monthly Film Series: The Forgiveness of Blood – April 29th
AGM for the Association of Canadians in Bermuda – May 2nd
La Trattoria Pasta Buffet – May 2nd
Night Market at Royal Bermuda Yacht Club – May 4th
MAMA Car Boot Sale - May 5th
25th Anniversary Catlin End-to-End – May 5th
Raw Food Talk - May 9th
G&S Opera: Verdi's La Traviata - May 12th
Chewstick's T.W.I.G.S. Youth Open-Mic - May 12th
Chopsticks "Choose 8" Mother's Day Tasting Menu - May 13th to May 31st
Raw Food Workshop - May 16th
Chewstick's T.W.I.G.S. Youth Open-Mic - June 9th
Destination Dockyard returns - June 11th
Summer Sundays in the Park: Rockin' de Rock - July 1st
Summer Camp at Somerset School of Dancing - July 2nd to July 13th
It's a Doll's World - July 22nd to August 4th
Summer Sundays in the Park: Lift Your Voices - August 5th
Summer Sundays in the Park: Island Vibes - September 2nd
Enjoy the rest of the week!