May 23rd, 2012
First of all, thanks to everyone who attended Nothing to Chew 2 at Victoria Grill on Saturday night – the photos are now on the Facebook Page here so feel free to tag yourselves! I’m sure you haven’t forgotten that tomorrow is Bermuda Day, so I hope you all have a wonderful holiday. If you happen to be working, make sure you give yourself some sort of treat, like an extra cookie or something, so that it’s still a special day. Now, down to some Bermuda events:
- Looking for a way to kick off the May 24th celebrations? SalsaMania Productions are hosting Gombey Salsa: Pre-Heritage Day Party tonight at Sabor Dance School (at Old Berkeley School) from 9.30pm. There is no cover charge and it is open to all – BYOB if you want to drink. For more information, contact email@example.com.
- Life Aquatic, a new art exhibit from Milton Hill and Ami Zanders will be coming soon to Studio A at Bermuda Society of Arts (BSoA) in City Hall. The official opening will be Friday, May 25th from 5.30pm until 7.30pm but, if you miss that, the show will run until Tuesday, June 12th – here’s the flyer!
- Great news for anyone who misses the Moonlight Movie Series – the Evangelical Church of Bermuda has announced the launch of Community Family Movie Nights! These free, family-friendly movies will be shown on a 13-foot inflatable screen on the church’s field and the first will be a screening of Grace Card on Friday, May 25th. Future films include Fire Proof on Friday, June 22nd, Joseph on Friday, July 27th and Courageous on Friday, August 24th. The movies begin at 8.45pm and you are invited to bring your own blanket or chair and enjoy the free refreshments served and the free fun castle available for the kids before the film starts. For more information, visit www.evangelicalchurchbermuda.com – here’s the flyer!
- One of the best ways to enjoy a Bermuda sunset is from the water – which is why Ana Luna are hosting a Wine Tasting & Sunset Cruise on Saturday, May 26th. The boat will leave the dock at Grotto Bay at 5.45pm and will offer five different wines from Discovery Wines with light snacks. Tickets are $80 per person ($75 if paying cash) and can be reserved from firstname.lastname@example.org – here’s the flyer!
- In the first in a series of theme balls this summer, Pickled Onion presents their Fire Ball party on Saturday, May 26th. The fun will run from 10pm until 3am and promises special decor, live music from their new in-house band Grafitti Park, drinks specials and more, with a suggested dress code of fiery colours (red, orange and yellow) – here’s the flyer!
- The next edition of the BIFFlix Monthly Film Series will be a screening of the film The Kid With A Bike on Sunday, May 27th at the usual venue of BUEI at 6.30pm. For more details, or to buy tickets, please see http://tickets.biff.bm/Event/143/The-Kid-with-a-Bike/.
- Fancy being transported to another island without leaving Bermuda? Chef Mike Knight and Ten Cafe & Bar are hosting a Hawaiian Food & Wine Pairing Evening on Thursday, May 31st at 7pm. The evening will start with a complimentary Hawaiian Punch, followed by a 5-course dinner accompanied by specially selected wines. The cost is $75 per head, reservations are highly recommended and can be made by contacting email@example.com or 295-0857 – here’s the flyer with the menu included!
- L’Alliance Française des Bermudes will be hosting a Pétanque Tournament on Friday, June 1st at the pétanque lane of Bermuda College from 5.30pm. This is the French form of boules, traditionally played with metallic balls on a dirt surface and the event is open to players (whether experienced or novice) and spectators alike. You are invited to bring your favourite wine, snacks and blanket or beach chair, as well as your pétanque balls, if you have them. L’Alliance Française will provide baguettes, cheese and snacks for the children, as well as the chance to win a basket full of French specialties by guessing its weight. The minimum playing fee is $10 and additional donations will also be welcome!
- Mélange are saving you the airfare to Vegas as they present their Old Hollywood Glam Casino Night at the Bermuda Society of Arts on Saturday, June 2nd from 7pm until 11pm. The MC for the evening is Captain Kievel Burgess and you can expect a complimentary signature cocktail, hors d’oeuvres, $25 in chips and a live auction. As the name suggests, the theme is Hollywood Glam so get dressed to impress and ready to gamble for a good cause since funds raised will go towards helping breast cancer patients who need help paying for medication – more information can be found at www.melange.bm. Tickets are $100 and available from www.otfbermuda.com – here’s the flyer!
- Some of you have been asking about this, so here is some information on Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II’s Diamond Jubilee official celebrations in Bermuda. On Saturday, June 2nd, a Flotilla of Local Vessels will depart Hamilton Harbour at noon and sail to Dockyard. An open invitation is extended to local mariners and the JL Cecil Smith (the ferry on which Her Majesty travelled in 2009) will lead the event. That same day, there will be a Street Festival sponsored by WedCo in Dockyard with entertainment, food, and fun for all, and Evening Lighting of Beacons at various Island locations, mirroring beacons across the Commonwealth. On Sunday, June 3rd, the Anglican Bishop of Bermuda will lead an inter-faith and inter-denominational National Worship Service at The Cathedral of the Most Holy Trinity. The service will feature the debut performance of the Jubilee Fanfare, commissioned of Major D. B. Robinson EM, Director of Music, Bermuda Regiment. As mentioned in a previous post, the June 3rd edition of Summer Sunday in the Park will have a Queen’s Jubilee theme. Monday, June 4th has been designated Charity Day and public and private sectors are encouraged to participate in a charity project in support of local causes. Due to its vital contribution to building character and engendering community spirit in young people, Outward Bound is the proposed Jubilee Charity. That same day will see the initial planting of the Jubilee Bermuda Cedar in an area to be designated the Jubilee Grove located at Coney Island in Hamilton Parish. This will both complement the reforestation project there and mirror a UK project with similar aims. The Grove will be opened and the tree planted by The Premier and H.E. The Governor. To round off the official celebrations, two Jubilee Scholars, based on academic prowess and all-round qualities, will be designated and announced with a variety of awards to recognize their achievement. If you have Union Jack bunting left over from Will & Kate’s wedding last year, this would be a good excuse to dig it out – here’s the flyer!
- Bermuda Musical and Dramatic Society presents Shaken not Stirred, the latest performance from the Daylesford Singers from Thursday, June 7th until Saturday, June 9th. This year’s concert will have a Bond theme with performances at 8pm nightly. Tickets are $25 and available from the box office or online at www.bmds.bm from June 4th – here’s the flyer!
- A new edition to the Regular/Recurring Events section, Coco Reef are offering a Summer BBQ Dinner with live entertainment every Thursday throughout the summer. This will be from 7pm until 9pm, at a cost of $55 per person. For reservations, contact 236-5416 – here’s the flyer with a copy of the menu
- Good news for Sunday shoppers – Gibbons Company, including The Home Store, Nine West, Twenty5Reid and M.A.C Cosmetics, are now open on Sundays from 1pm until 5pm!
Quick Recap of Upcoming Bermuda Events
Click on the event name to be taken to the original post with full details. No link means that the details are in this current post. For a handy Calendar view, click here to go to the Bermuda Calendar section:
Re-Interpreting the European Collection – September 1st to May 31st, 2012
The Spring Show and Nahed Eid at Bermuda Arts Centre at Dockyard – April 29th to May 31st
Chopsticks “Choose 8” Mother’s Day Tasting Menu – May 13th to May 31st
Gombey Salsa: Pre-Heritage Day Party – May 23rd
9th Annual Guitar Festival – May 25th to 27th
Life Aquatic by Milton Hill and Ami Zanders at BSoA – May 25th to June 12th
Community Family Movie Nights: Grace Card – May 25th
Ana Luna Wine Tasting & Sunset Cruise – May 26th
Fire Ball at Pickled Onion – May 26th
BIFFlix Monthly Film Series: The Kid With A Bike – May 27th
Hawaiian Food & Wine Pairing Evening at Ten – May 31st
Touch D Deck – June 1st
L’Alliance Française des Bermudes Pétanque Tournament – June 1st
Melange Old Hollywood Glam Casino Night – June 2nd
Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II’s Diamond Jubilee Celebrations in Bermuda – June 2nd to 4th
MAMA Summer Fair – June 3rd
Daylesford Singers: Shaken not Stirred – June 7th to 9th
Chewstick’s T.W.I.G.S. Youth Open-Mic – June 9th
Destination Dockyard returns – June 11th
Bermuda Open Championship – June 14th to 17th
Capital G 24th Annual Iron Kids Triathlon – June 16th
Community Family Movie Nights: Fire Proof – June 22nd
Sandys 360 Summer Academy & Camp – June 28th to August 31st
Summer Sundays in the Park: Rockin’ de Rock – July 1st
Summer Camp at Somerset School of Dancing – July 2nd to July 13th
Sandys 360 Aquatics Camp – July 2nd to August 31st
It’s a Doll’s World – July 22nd to August 4th
Community Family Movie Nights: Joseph – July 27th
Summer Sundays in the Park: Lift Your Voices – August 5th
Correia Construction National Championship Motocross – August 5th
Correia Construction National Championship Motocross – August 19th
Community Family Movie Nights: Courageous – August 24th
Summer Sundays in the Park: Island Vibes – September 2nd
Correia Construction National Championship Motocross – September 2nd
The Family Centre’s Beach Bash – September 14th
Correia Construction National Championship Motocross – September 16th
Correia Construction National Championship Motocross – September 30th
Correia Construction National Championship Motocross – October 14th
Bermuda Kennel Club’s 2012 Bermuda Dog Shows – October 20th to 21st
Correia Construction National Championship Motocross – October 28th
Have a happy and safe Bermuda Day!