May 30th, 2012
Hope you all had a wonderful Bermuda Day last week – how many of you braved the water? The water that fell from the sky was enough for me – hopefully we’re going to have a little run of good weather so that I can work on turning my usual lovely shade of lobster-red.. Here are some more Bermuda events to look forward to:
- Ferrari Bar at LV’s are hosting a Charity Happy Hour in support of Tomorrow’s Voices this coming Friday, June 1st. From 4.30pm until 9pm, you can enjoy drinks at Happy Hour Prices, complimentary nibbles and a roast beef carving station. There will also be a raffle draw with tickets for purchase at a cost of $3 for one or $4 for ten – here’s the flyer!
- Forget The Avengers, the alliance of the summer is the combined might of The Youth Library, Bermuda National Gallery, Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute, Bermuda National Trust and The Bermuda Botanical Society who have joined forces to offer Whistle Stop Adventure on Saturday, June 2nd. Kids aged between 7 and 10 are invited to climb aboard the Bermuda Train to explore Bermuda History. The fun starts at 9am at the Youth Library and the children will have a tour, participate in an activity and learn about their surroundings at each venue before ending at the Botanical Gardens at 3.30pm. Lunch is included and the cost is $15. For more information, contact 295-0487 – here’s the flyer!
- The One Bermuda Alliance is hosting a Family Fun Day on Saturday, June 2nd at Mullet Bay Park, St. George’s. From 11am until 6pm, you can enjoy a variety of entertainment, including Fun Castles, a dunking stool (you’ll get the opportunity to vote which MP Candidate or Senator will get dunked), local artists, a tug of war competition, a sack bag race and a three-legged race. Admission is free, food costs $2 and drinks and games cost $1, with proceeds to benefit the St. George’s Foundation and the Beyond Sports Bermuda Rugby charities. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 294-3264 – here’s the flyer!
- The Adult Services Film Selection at Bermuda National Library this week is Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy with showtimes at 11am and 2pm on Saturday, June 2nd. All are welcome but they suggest you get there early since spaces are limited – here’s the flyer!
- Bermuda Cancer and Health Centre’s Education Officer, Rhonda Smith-Simmons, will be hosting Male Cancer Checked Out, a free health presentation on Thursday, June 7th. This will be at Bermuda Cancer and Health Centre at 46 Point Finger Road, Paget from 5.45pm. As the name suggests, the talk will be focusing on male cancers (for men and women), the risks, the recommended screenings, how to recognise early signs and symptoms, and what to do if you have concerns. For more information, or to register, contact email@example.com or 236-0949 – here’s the flyer!
- To encourage a healthy start to the retirement of their President, Gerald Simons, The Argus Group invites you on a Bermuda National Trust Guided Nature Walk on Saturday, June 9th. The 45 minute tour starts at the Berry Hill entrance of the Botanical Gardens and is open to everyone. Refreshments will be provided after the walk – here’s the flyer (it says that the deadline to register was Monday but you can still join)!
- It’s that time of year again when Flanagans Onions F.C. (the team formerly known as M.R. Onions F.C.) bring us some swigging and sailing shenanigans. Their Euro 2012 Booze Cruise will be on Saturday, June 9th and, to get everyone in the mood for the European Championships, they invite you to come dressed in your favourite football (soccer) jersey. The boat departs Albuoys Point at 7.30pm, returning at 10.30pm and includes a live DJ and open bar. Tickets are $50 and available from firstname.lastname@example.org – here’s the flyer!
- Bermuda Cancer and Health Centre will be having their annual Purple Tag Days event on Friday, June 15th and Saturday, June 16th and they invite you to spread the word by wearing purple. The purpose of this event is to raise funds for the Bermuda Cancer and Health Centre while raising awareness that many cancers are preventable, early detection saves lives and that support for survivors, family and friends is available. For more information on how to take part, visit www.chc.bm – here’s the flyer!
- Whether you’re of Caribbean descent, or just enjoy the food and music from that part of the world, you won’t want to miss the West Indian Association (Bermuda)’s Dine & Dance Around D Caribbean party on Saturday, June 23rd at the Bermuda College Cafetorium. This event will include a cash bar, tasters from 7pm until 9.30pm, followed by dancing to music from DJ LaMontagne until 1am. Tickets are $25 and are available from all members of the WIA Executive Committee or from email@example.com – here’s the flyer!
- The Somerset Branch of the Bermuda Police Service are looking for your sponsorship as they attempt the impressive feat of Rowing One Million Metres for Charity at Sandys 360 from Thursday, July 12th. Organiser Sergeant Derek Berry and 11 other members of the Somerset Police, will be broken into groups of four members. The groups will alternate rowing every eight hours, with each member rowing for a half hour, and will row continuously until they reach their goal. One million metres is almost 65 miles and they expect to have completed this by the afternoon of Sunday, July 15th – taking around 3 and a half days. Spectators and supporters are welcome during normal opening hours and there may also be festivities on the launch day – more details to follow! If you’d like to sponsor, the participating officers have pledge sheets, as well as a general pledge sheet at Sandys 360 Front Desk and at the Somerset Police Station.
Quick Recap of Upcoming Bermuda Events
Click on the event name to be taken to the original post with full details. No link means that the details are in this current post. For a handy Calendar view, click here to go to the Bermuda Calendar section:
Re-Interpreting the European Collection – September 1st to May 31st, 2012
The Spring Show and Nahed Eid at Bermuda Arts Centre at Dockyard – April 29th to May 31st
Chopsticks “Choose 8” Mother’s Day Tasting Menu – May 13th to May 31st
Life Aquatic by Milton Hill and Ami Zanders at BSoA – May 25th to June 12th
Hawaiian Food & Wine Pairing Evening at Ten – May 31st
Touch D Deck – June 1st
Tomorrow’s Voices Charity Happy Hour at Ferrari Bar – June 1st
Melange Old Hollywood Glam Casino Night – June 2nd
Whistle Stop Adventure – June 2nd
OBA Family Fun Day – June 2nd
Bermuda National Library Adult Services Film Selection: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy – June 2nd
Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II’s Diamond Jubilee Celebrations in Bermuda – June 2nd to 4th
MAMA Summer Fair – June 3rd
Male Cancer Checked Out – June 7th
Daylesford Singers: Shaken not Stirred – June 7th to 9th
Chewstick’s T.W.I.G.S. Youth Open-Mic – June 9th
Bermuda National Trust Guided Nature Walk with Gerald Simons – June 9th
Flanagans Onions F.C. Euro 2012 Booze Cruise – June 9th
Destination Dockyard returns – June 11th
Bermuda Open Championship – June 14th to 17th
Bermuda Cancer and Health Centre Purple Tag Days – June 15th and 16th
Capital G 24th Annual Iron Kids Triathlon – June 16th
Community Family Movie Nights: Fire Proof – June 22nd
West Indian Association (Bermuda)’s Dine & Dance Around D Caribbean – June 23rd
Sandys 360 Summer Academy & Camp – June 28th to August 31st
Summer Sundays in the Park: Rockin’ de Rock – July 1st
Summer Camp at Somerset School of Dancing – July 2nd to July 13th
Sandys 360 Aquatics Camp – July 2nd to August 31st
Somerset Police Row One Million Metres for Charity – July 12th
It’s a Doll’s World – July 22nd to August 4th
Community Family Movie Nights: Joseph – July 27th
Summer Sundays in the Park: Lift Your Voices – August 5th
Correia Construction National Championship Motocross – August 5th
Correia Construction National Championship Motocross – August 19th
Community Family Movie Nights: Courageous – August 24th
Summer Sundays in the Park: Island Vibes – September 2nd
Correia Construction National Championship Motocross – September 2nd
The Family Centre’s Beach Bash – September 14th
Correia Construction National Championship Motocross – September 16th
Correia Construction National Championship Motocross – September 30th
Correia Construction National Championship Motocross – October 14th
Bermuda Kennel Club’s 2012 Bermuda Dog Shows – October 20th to 21st
Correia Construction National Championship Motocross – October 28th
Think you’re tough for completing the Bermuda Day Half Marathon? Sorry but this little guy’s got you beat! Don’t worry though, you’re still tougher than me:
Enjoy the rest of the week!