May 9th, 2012
Happy Wednesday Troops!
First up, a big apology to all my email subscribers – a little glitch meant that last Wednesday’s email didn’t hit your inbox until Saturday! I would explain what happened but it is very boring and you probably don’t really care anyway – the main thing is that everything is fixed now!
The glitch also affected the link to tickets sales for Nothing to Chew 2 – thanks to those of you who contacted me to let me know. Again, all systems are go now so you can purchase tickets at www.premiertickets.bm. Tickets are $60 and are on sale until Thursday, May 17th or until they sell out, whichever happens first. Get them now before you forget because it’s going to be awesome! Anyway, down to more Bermuda events:
- Jiketsu Martial Arts, Fitness & Natural Healing Centre at the Old Berkeley Institute are offering a course on Self-Defense Training System (SDTS): Essential Defensive Tactics for Women. This focuses on quick and easy techniques which work in real life situations, rather than requiring that your attacker gives you time to get into a fighting stance before they come at you at a certain angle. This is on Thursdays from 5.30pm until 7pm beginning May 10th for three weeks and costs $175. In addition, they are offering a course on Core Conditioning, Body Sculpting and De-Stressing Techniques. Classes are on Mondays and Thursdays from 12 noon until 1pm, at a cost of $200 per month, or on Thursday only from 7pm until 8pm at a cost of $100 per month. For more details, contact email@example.com or 705-7541 – here’s the flyer!
- There’s a Happy Hour option for a good cause this Friday – Ferrari Bar at LV’s are hosting a Charity Happy Hour in support of the Masterworks Museum during their 25th anniversary year. From 4.30pm until 9pm, you can enjoy drinks at Happy Hour Prices, complimentary nibbles and a roast beef carving station. There will also be a raffle draw with tickets for purchase at a cost of $3 for one or $4 for ten – here’s the flyer!
- The Renegades RFC Annual Dinner is on Saturday, May 12th at the Dinghy Club and is open to non-club members this year due to their special guest. Former Wales Captain Gwyn Jones is their key note speaker so it has been opened up in case anyone of Welsh heritage and/or rugby enthusiasts are interested in attending. If that isn’t enough of an incentive, the evening will include a cocktail hour and a four-course dinner. Tickets are $100 and available from firstname.lastname@example.org – here’s the flyer!
- Another Mother’s Day event, this time for the Party Mums! De Party Bus, a fundraiser for Somerset Trojans Youth Soccer Tour 2012, will be visiting bars between St. George’s and Somerset on Sunday, May 13th. De Party Bus will be leaving Somerset Cricket Club at 12 noon sharp and traveling to St. Georges Cricket Club, Gombey’s Restaurant & Bar, Bailey’s Bay Cricket Club, Devonshire Recreation Club, Southampton Rangers Club and the Prison Officers Club, stopping for drinks in each before finishing back at Somerset Cricket Club, where there will be free food, a cash bar and dancing available. Tickets are $50 and available from www.bermudaboxoffice.com/Event/5/Mothers-Day-Party-Bus/ – here’s the flyer!
- Two slightly more sedate options can be found at The St. George’s Club. The Beach House at Blackbeard’s Hideout is hosting a Mother’s Day Brunch from 11.30am at a cost of $25 plus grats. The price includes a mimosa, bloody Mary or orange juice and tea or coffee. For reservations, call 297-1400 or book online at www.table.bm – here’s the flyer with the menu included! Griffin’s Bistro are also offering a Mother’s Day Brunch, with the first seating at 12 noon and the last at 3.30pm. The cost is $47 per person, plus grats, or $25 for under-10s. For reservations, call 297-4235 or book online at www.table.bm – here’s the flyer with the menu included!
- The next edition of the BEPRO Lunch ‘N’ Learn Series will be in partnership with ABIR and will be on Monday, May 14th at XL House on Bermudiana Road. From 12 noon until 1.15pm, you can mingle with ABIR members and learn about its role and importance in the insurance industry and in the international business sector in Bermuda. Guest speaker is Leila Madeiros (SVP, Deputy Director and Corporate Secretary of ABIR). Lunch and refreshments will be provided. There is a maximum of 25 spaces available so RSVP to email@example.com to secure your spot – here’s the flyer!
- A new course from Cambridge Beaches Resort and Spa, Inner Peace Training aims to give you a simple step by step process with the tools to use to bring the war inside you to an end and discover your true divine self. The training will be held over three evenings on Monday, May 14th, Thursday, May 17th and Monday, May 21st from 6pm until 9pm at a cost of $295. For more information, contact Bianca at firstname.lastname@example.org or 300-0505 or, to reserve your space, contact email@example.com or 234-3636 – here’s the flyer!
- The latest Bermuda Musical & Dramatic Society (BMDS) production, On A First Name Basis, opens on Monday, May 14th at Daylesford Theatre. This play will be a professional production as BMDS will be welcoming Canada’s most prolific modern comic playwright, Norm Foster (who will also be starring in the show), and actress Patricia Vanstone to Bermuda. The show will run until Saturday, May 19th and starts at 8pm nightly. Tickets are $30 and are available from www.bmds.bm – here’s the flyer!
- Masterworks Museum are partnering with Discovery Wines for a Wine Tasting and Quiz Night on Friday, May 18th. The Wine Tasting begins at 5.30pm and you will be able to sample some new wines with the owners and wine makers of Deerfield Ranch Winery and some hor d’oevres courtesy of Flying Chef. Quiz Night with Mike Bishop begins at 7.30pm, with a light dinner of chilli and soup available for participants. Tickets for both are $55 or, if you only want to attend one or the other, tickets are $30 for the wine tasting only and $25 for quiz night only. To reserve, call 299-4000 or book online at www.bermudamasterworks.com by May 16th – here’s the flyer!
- Although the official deadline to RSVP has passed, if you contact them ASAP, there is still time to attend The Kardias Club’s 3rd Annual Tea with a Twist. This will be at 3pm on Saturday, May 19th at the Fairmont Southampton and entertainment will be by the Chewstick Foundation, Sloane Wilson and Kassie. Tickets are $55 and proceeds will support The Committee of 25 for Handicapped Children. For tickets, contact 234-1404, 735-2721 or firstname.lastname@example.org – here’s the flyer!
- It’s almost time to get back in the water – Bermuda Day is two weeks tomorrow! UberVida’s summer opening party will be a daytime cruise on Thursday, May 24th. NINI/Manijama Dancing Belt 24th May Day Party will depart from #1 Shed Dock at 3pm, returning at 7pm. The ticket price includes 6 drink tickets with a cash bar after they’re gone. Dress Code is a Nini (wife beater) which you should prepare to have signed by everybody with electronica/party/club music. Tickets are $30 and available from http://partypositive.eventbrite.com/?ref=esfb.
- More party cruise fun, this time aboard the Bermudian for the Touch D Deck on Friday, June 1st. The boat will depart Albouy’s Point at 6.30pm with a complimentary food buffet and a cash bar. Entertainment will be soca, club and reggae music, with Trinidad’s soca-reggae artist Benjai performing live alongside overseas DJs Back2Basics, Sound4Life and local talent D’General and D’Nice. Tickets are $60 and available from email@example.com or by calling 333-2167, 335-0456 or 332-8330 – here’s the flyer!
- Ernie from Sesame Street would love this – the Friends of Hospice 16th Annual Rubber Duck Derby will be on Sunday, June 3rd at Ordnance Island from 2pm. This event is the biggest fundraiser of the year for Agape House (the island’s only inpatient hospice facility) and will be full of family-friendly fun, including live entertainment, bouncy castles, Kiddie Land, food vendors and, of course, the spectacle of watching hundreds of rubber ducks take to the seas! To participate, you simply have to purchase a duck to enter into one of the three races – the Family Race ($20), the Pamper Me Race ($10) or the Youth Race ($5) – and then cheer your duck on and hope to be a winner of one of over 100 prizes available. Duck tickets are available from Agape House, BELCO, Bermuda Gas, or online at www.premiertickets.bm. For more information, contact 232-0859 or firstname.lastname@example.org – here’s the flyer!
- Little champs aged 3 to 14 will gather at Clearwater Beach, St. David’s to swim, bike and run to victory at the Capital G 24th Annual Iron Kids Triathlon on Saturday, June 16th. Junior triathletes can win up to $1,000 in scholarship funds and the fun portion of the day includes a carnival with fun castles, face painting, food stalls and more from 12 noon until 5.30pm. Registration information will be posted to www.capitalgironkids.bm soon, or you can call 294-5023.
- Bersalon and The Spa at Elbow Beach are both are running some May offers, just in time for Mother’s Day – here’s the flyer for Bersalon and here’s the flyer for Elbow Beach!
Quick Recap of Upcoming Bermuda Events
Click on the event name to be taken to the original post with full details. No link means that the details are in this current post. For a handy Calendar view, click here to go to the Bermuda Calendar section:
Re-Interpreting the European Collection – September 1st to May 31st, 2012
The Spring Show and Nahed Eid at Bermuda Arts Centre at Dockyard – April 29th to May 31st
Raw Food Talk – May 9th
Self-Defense Training System (SDTS): Essential Defensive Tactics for Women – starts May 10th
Ferrari Bar at LV’s Charity Happy Hour for Masterworks Museum – May 11th
G&S Opera: Verdi’s La Traviata – May 12th
Chewstick’s T.W.I.G.S. Youth Open-Mic – May 12th
World Fair Trade Day Breakfast at CV Cafe – May 12th
Renegades RFC Annual Dinner – May 12th
Chopsticks “Choose 8” Mother’s Day Tasting Menu – May 13th to May 31st
De Party Bus – May 13th
Mother’s Day Brunch at the Beach House at Blackbeard’s Hideout – May 13th
Mother’s Day Brunch at Griffin’s Bistro – May 13th
BEPRO Lunch ‘N’ Learn Series: ABIR – May 14th
Inner Peace Training – begins May 14th
BMDS Show: On A First Name Basis – May 14th
Raw Food Workshop – May 16th
Nutrifit course – May 16th
Riddell’s Bay Indian Buffet Dinner – May 18th
Masterworks Museum Wine Tasting and Quiz Night – May 18th
Nothing to Chew in Bermuda: Brazilian Feast – May 19th
The Kardias Club’s 3rd Annual Tea with a Twist – May 19th
NINI/Manijama Dancing Belt 24th May Day Party – May 24th
9th Annual Guitar Festival – May 25th to 27th
Touch D Deck – June 1st
Friends of Hospice 16th Annual Rubber Duck Derby – June 3rd
Chewstick’s T.W.I.G.S. Youth Open-Mic – June 9th
Destination Dockyard returns – June 11th
Bermuda Open Championship – June 14th to 17th
Capital G 24th Annual Iron Kids Triathlon – June 16th
Summer Sundays in the Park: Rockin’ de Rock – July 1st
Summer Camp at Somerset School of Dancing – July 2nd to July 13th
It’s a Doll’s World – July 22nd to August 4th
Summer Sundays in the Park: Lift Your Voices – August 5th
Correia Construction National Championship Motocross – August 5th
Correia Construction National Championship Motocross – August 19th
Summer Sundays in the Park: Island Vibes – September 2nd
Correia Construction National Championship Motocross – September 2nd
Correia Construction National Championship Motocross – September 16th
Correia Construction National Championship Motocross – September 30th
Correia Construction National Championship Motocross – October 14th
Correia Construction National Championship Motocross – October 28th
Enjoy the rest of the week!