June 15th, 2012
Just a quickie before the holiday weekend:
- Bermuda National Gallery’s 2012 Biennial Exhibition of Contemporary Bermuda Art, opens to the public on Friday, June 15th, with featured artists including Jacqueline Alma, Louisa Bermingham Flannery, William Collieson, James Cooper, Vaughan Evans, Fungus Art Collective: James Cooper & Russell de Moura, Charlie Godet Thomas, Antoine A. R. Hunt, Christina Hutchings, Sunell Lombard, Jamie Macmillan & Rohan Shastri, Kevin Morris, Manuel Palacio, Dany Pen, Bryan Ritchie, Guluzar Ritchie, Alan C. Smith, Edwin M. E. Smith, Teresa Kirby Smith and Michael Walsh. The exhibit runs until November 24th. For more information, contact Lisa Howie at email@example.com or 295-9428. The same night, Bermuda National Gallery will also be launching their Youth Camera Action (YCA) Photography Exhibition at the Bermuda Society of Arts from 5.30pm until 8pm. YCA is a free photography programme for Bermuda’s middle school youth (aged between 11 and 14) and the exhibition runs until July 4th. For more information, contact Dany Pen at firstname.lastname@example.org or 295-9428.
- Father’s Day is this coming Sunday, June 17th and, although Victoria Grill are usually closed on Sundays, they are opening especially for this occasion and offering a dad-pleasing meat-fest! Their All You Can Eat Churrasco will be available on both Saturday and Sunday for a Father’s Weekend. The cost is $39.95 per person and children aged 13 and under pay only $2 for every year of their age. For reservations, call 296-5050 – here’s the flyer!
- As a celebration of the diversity in Bermuda, there will be a free community event at Royal Naval Dockyard dedicated to the things that unite us (music, food, art and entertainment) rather than the things that divide us. CultureFest: Unity in the Community is a national festival created by Bermudians in the 1970s in which visitors and residents from all ethnic groups will participate and embrace without controversy. From noon until 9pm on Sunday, June 17th and Monday, June 18th **UPDATE: This has been postponed until Saturday, July 21st and Sunday, July 22nd**, there will be live entertainment, international food court, a traditional Bermudian Village and a cultural and visual arts exhibit. For more details, visit www.bermudaculturefest.com – here’s the flyer!
- A.S. Cooper are running some special offers with Bobbi Brown & Shiseido cosmetics in their main store on Front Street. Bobbi’s Makeup Lessons will be from Tuesday, June 19th until Sunday, June 24th and with every purchase over $75, you will receive a free gift – here’s the flyer! They will also be welcoming international makeup consultant Jezebel Dominquez from Shiseido on Friday, June 22nd and Saturday, June 23rd – here’s the flyer! To schedule an appointment for either, contact 295-3961 ext 405.
- Award-winning author Marita Golden is coming to Bermuda and will make a special appearance at Bookmart on Tuesday, June 19th. Marita will be signing various titles and reading from her latest book, Living Out Loud: A Writer’s Journey from 12.30pm. Marita is also interested in connecting with writers in Bermuda, so if you are one, or know one, you are particularly welcome!
- Ferrari Bar at LV’s is no more as Margarita’s Grill will be opening on Tuesday, June 19th! This is a new margarita and beer bar on Bermudiana Road, which will be open from 5pm until 10pm, Monday to Saturday. They’ll be offering Sam Adams on tap, Margaritas by the pitcher and buckets of beer – here’s the flyer!
- The Association of Canadians in Bermuda will be holding their annual Canada Day Beach Party at Warwick Long Bay on Saturday, June 30th. From noon until 5pm, there will be cake, volleyball and, of course, the national anthem. Membership is $15 and includes free lunch and beverages. If interested in volunteering, contact email@example.com or see their website at www.canadians.bm. If you were at home, this would be followed by a French translation but I can’t be bothered, sorry – here’s the flyer!
- The Bermuda Rugby Football Union (BRFU) Annual Dinner for 2012 will be at 7pm on Saturday, June 30th at the Fairmont Hamilton Princess. The dinner is in support of the current youth, kids and schools initiatives started by the BRFU in the past year or so and there will also be an auction of rugby memorabilia to raise further funds. Guest speakers are Lewis Moody MBE (World Cup Winner and former England Captain) and Fijian rugby legend Waisale Serevi. Tickets cost $125 for BRFU members, $150 for non-members, and are available from firstname.lastname@example.org – here’s the flyer!
- Golfers, you’ll be spoiled for choice on Saturday, June 30th at the New Beginnings Golf Classic at Fairmont Southampton! This is in support of the New Beginnings $1 Million Campaign, with all proceeds going towards funding education grants for at risk youth and funding the return of the MIRRORS Community Programme for 19 to 24 year old males. There are three different options and two different events on offer. First of all is the Captain’s Choice Tournament, where you can choose an 8am or 1pm shotgun start. The afternoon event is restricted to teams of three registered entrants as one MIRRORS young person will be included per team after participating in a morning golf clinic. If you were a previous attendee of NTDIB Neon, you’ll know how much fun night golf is. At 9pm (shotgun start) there will be a Night Golf Tournament run on two 9-hole circuits. The entry fees are $100 per player for the Captain’s Choice morning afternoon events (includes green fee and cart) or $75 per player for Night Golf (walking only, golf carts don’t have headlights, and special glow-in-the-dark golf balls will be provided). If you want to do more than one event, great news, there are deal bundles! For $150, you can do one of the Captain’s Choice (am or pm) plus Night Golf or participate in all three for $225. Registration is online at www.ptix.bm and the deadline is Saturday, June 23rd.
Quick Recap of Upcoming Bermuda Events
Click on the event name to be taken to the original post with full details. No link means that the details are in this current post. For a handy Calendar view, click here to go to the Bermuda Calendar section:
Bermuda Magic: The Renaissance – June 3rd to November 1st
Bermuda Open Championship – June 14th to 17th
Bermuda Cancer and Health Centre Purple Tag Days – June 15th and 16th
Pink Beach Club Poolside Happy Hour begins – June 15th
Biennial Exhibition of Contemporary Bermuda Art – June 15th to November 24th
Youth Camera Action (YCA) Photography Exhibition – June 15th to July 4th
Capital G 24th Annual Iron Kids Triathlon – June 16th
Quiz Night at Bermuda Aquarium Museum and Zoo – June 16th
Docksiders Rave – June 16th
Gospel Benefit Concert – June 16th
Father’s Weekend at Victoria Grill – June 16th and 17th
CultureFest: Unity in the Community – June 17th and 18th July 21st and 22nd
Bobbi Brown Makeup Lessons at A.S. Cooper – June 19th to 24th
Bermuda Recorder Society Consort Concert – June 19th
Marita Golden Book-Signing at Bookmart – June 19th
Margarita’s Grill Opening – June 19th
Jackson School of Performing Arts Summer Recital: Dancing Through The Universe – June 20th to 23rd
Shiseido Makeup Consultant at A.S. Cooper – June 22nd and 23rd
Community Family Movie Nights: Fire Proof – June 22nd
Flawless: Fashion, Art and Talent Showcase – June 22nd
Bermuda Ocean Explorers 1st Annual Sunset Cruise – June 23rd
WindReach 3rd Annual Archery Competition – June 23rd
Coppertone Co-ed Beach Volleyball Tournament – June 23rd
16th Annual Glow in the Dark Duck Race & Party – June 23rd
12th Lepercq Memorial Tournament – June 24th
Sandys 360 Summer Academy & Camp – June 28th to August 31st
Fish in the Park Party at Lemon Tree – June 29th
Canada Day Beach Party – June 30th
Bermuda Rugby Football Union (BRFU) Annual Dinner – June 30th
New Beginnings Golf Classic – June 30th
Summer Sundays in the Park: Rockin’ de Rock – July 1st
Summer Camp at Somerset School of Dancing – July 2nd to July 13th
Sandys 360 Aquatics Camp – July 2nd to August 31st
City Festival Evolution Fashion Show – July 7th
Miss Bermuda Pageant 2012 – July 8th
Teachers RFC Ladies T Party – July 21st
It’s a Doll’s World – July 22nd to August 4th
Community Family Movie Nights: Joseph – July 27th
6th Annual Soca vs Reggae Cup Match After-Party – August 3rd
Summer Sundays in the Park: Lift Your Voices – August 5th
Correia Construction National Championship Motocross – August 5th
Correia Construction National Championship Motocross – August 19th
Community Family Movie Nights: Courageous – August 24th
Summer Sundays in the Park: Island Vibes – September 2nd
Correia Construction National Championship Motocross – September 2nd
The Family Centre’s Beach Bash – September 14th
Correia Construction National Championship Motocross – September 16th
Correia Construction National Championship Motocross – September 30th
Correia Construction National Championship Motocross – October 14th
Bermuda Kennel Club’s 2012 Bermuda Dog Shows – October 20th to 21st
Correia Construction National Championship Motocross – October 28th
Next time you get irritated at the high price of groceries here, look at this and you might feel a bit better:
Have a wonderful holiday weekend!