June 13th, 2012
I completely forgot about the holiday next Monday so am feeling very chuffed about having a four day week coming up so soon! Happy are the forgetful…anyway, here’s what’s going on in Bermuda:
- A night of Calypso, Soca, R&B, film, comedy and magic, featuring The Bermuda Magic Band, Mr. Magic, Markita and fiery limbo dancers with special guest artist, Gene Steede – that’s what’s on offer at Bermuda Magic: The Renaissance in the Harbourview Ballroom of the Fairmont Hamilton Princess. Actually, many nights, since this show is running Sundays to Thursdays (with a few exclusions and including a few Fridays and Saturdays – dates on the flyer) until November 1st. Showtime is at 8.30pm and tickets are available from www.ptix.bm at a cost of $50. For more details, contact 704-4290 or firstname.lastname@example.org – here’s the flyer! **UPDATE: This show has been cancelled**
- John Cox, author of Bermuda Hauntings and Bermuda’s Favourite Haunts will be at Bermuda National Library (upper floor) on Thursday, June 14th for a special Bermuda Hauntings event. From 7.30pm to 8.30pm, you can hear ghost stories and have your books signed by the author (they’ll also be available for purchase on the night). Admission is free but space is limited so registration is required. To RSVP, contact 295-2905 or email@example.com – here’s the flyer!
- If you have neon clothing lurking in your closet, now is a good chance to dig it out as Docksiders will be raving again on Saturday, June 16th from 10pm until 3am. This high energy dance party will feature new lasers and lights, DJs Smokey, OB1 and Supa J, Goslings drink specials, (featuring Corona, Ketel One, Black Seal, Patron XO) plus glowstick and finger light giveaways! Tickets are $15 in advance from Dockies or Sovereign Jewellers or $20 on the door – here’s the flyer!
- A Gospel Benefit Concert will be held at the Ruth Seaton James Auditorium on Saturday, June 16th, with proceeds going towards assisting a family with on-going medical costs resulting from a loved one who is dealing with a rare form of cancer. Doors open at 6.30pm and the show starts at 7pm with featured entertainers including Geneman, Tiffany Fox, Pastor Johnny Woolridge, Vernon Temple Youth Choir, Shoa Bean, Mitchell “Wire” Trott, Crystal Lowe, Allen Temple Dancers, Asha Rattery, Pastor Stovell, Faith Deliverance Centre Dancers and Spiritual Peace. Tickets are $20 ($50 for Patron Tickets) and are available from from Kit-n-Caboodle, by calling LeKea Dill (278-5936 or 704-0211) or at the door – here’s the flyer!
- The Bermuda Recorder Society Consort, a 15 person member instrumental ensemble of recorders, will host a special performance at St. Paul’s Church, Paget on Tuesday, June 19th. Conducted by James Arnold, this short concert is suitable for young children and adults and will feature familiar music by well-known composers, with explanations of the instruments and the musical styles during the performance. After the concert the audience will have the opportunity to try instruments and to ask members questions. The concert will be from 6pm to 7pm and is free, although donations to St. Paul’s Church are accepted and appreciated – here’s the flyer!
- NIFTY Entertainment presents Flawless: Fashion, Art and Talent Showcase at Snorkel Park on Friday, June 22nd. Doors open at 7.30pm for showtime at 8pm, with the after-party starting at 11pm. Tickets are $40 in advance from Jazzy Boutique, The Edge and Kit ‘n’ Caboodle, or $50 on the door. VIP tickets are also available by calling 504-9080 or 599-0444. The cost is $100 and includes special seating and lounge, drinks, hors d’oevres, bottle service and a gift bag – here’s the flyer!
- Time to channel your inner Robin Hood or Katniss Everdeen as WindReach Bermuda are having their 3rd Annual Archery Competition on Saturday, June 23rd. From 10am until 1pm, people of all ages and abililties are invited to compete. The registration fee is $20 or $25 for late registration after June 20th. For further details, contact Troy Farnsworth, Adaptive Sport Coordinator, at 238-2469 or firstname.lastname@example.org – here’s the flyer!
- The Bermuda Volleyball Association (BVA) is now accepting registrations for the Coppertone Co-ed Beach Volleyball Tournament at Horseshoe Bay Beach on Saturday, June 23rd (rain date of June 24th). This is a co-ed beach tournament from 10am until 4pm with a 4-a-side division ($120 per team) and a 2-a-side division ($60 per team), with all proceeds donated by the BVA to Bermuda Cancer & Health. The registration fee includes entry to the tournament as well as lunch and beverages. Registration closes on June 20th and you can sign up online at http://www.bermudavolleyball.bm/?page_id=1820!
- The 16th Annual Glow in the Dark Duck Race & Party promises to be exciting evening of fun, food, drink, dancing, duck racing and prizes with proceeds to benefit Agape House, our island’s only hospice. This will take place on Saturday, June 23rd from 7pm until midnight at The Old House, 3 Point Shares, Pembroke. Dress is smart casual and the cost of $125 per person includes food and drink all night. For tickets or more details, contact 232-0859 or email@example.com – here’s the flyer!
- L’Alliance Française des Bermudes and the French Canadians of Bermuda invite you to join them in celebrating Fête de la Saint-Jean-Baptiste at Stonehole Bay (next to Chaplin Bay) on Saturday, June 23rd. This is a Quebec and French Canadian National Holiday but they are celebrating it Bermuda-style with a beach party and bonfire from 7pm until 10pm with Quebec music and delicacies available. You are just invited to bring meat and a BBQ – here’s the flyer!
- The Bermuda Karate Institute are hosting the 12th Lepercq Memorial Tournament at 1pm at Pembroke Sunday School on Sunday, June 24th. If interested in participating, pre-registration is open until June 14th at a cost of $40, which goes up to $45 for regular registration until June 24th. The tournament will include open forms, weapons, point sparring, K-1 and admission costs $10 for adults or $5 for under-12s. For information call 292-2157 or email Kristina@bermuda.com. The entry form is available online at http://bermudakarate.free.bm/ – here’s the flyer!
- This month’s edition of the Bermuda Docs Weekend Film Series will be on Sunday, June 24th. Documentary, A Sea Change: Imagine A World Without Fish will be showing at 3pm, followed by Goodbye First Love, at 5.15pm. More details on the films can be found at http://bermudadocs.wordpress.com/weekend-film-series-3/. Tickets are $15 and available at Oceans Gift Shop or by phoning 297-7314 – here’s the flyer!
- Due to the success of their Pig in the Park Party in April, Lemon Tree have decided to do it again, with a slight twist! Friday, June 29th will be the date of their Fish in the Park Party, which will run from 5pm until midnight. While supplies last, t-shirts are $25, which includes unlimited plates of fried wahoo, french fries, coleslaw and 2 free drink tickets – here’s the flyer!
- Fashionistas rejoice – the City Festival Evolution Fashion Show is coming to City Hall on Saturday, July 7th. From 7.30pm, this event will feature 140 models strutting their stuff on an 80 foot runway, along with special international guest model Darius Dayes (who models under the name Darius Dio) and model scouting by Wilhelmina Models. Admission is free but VIP tickets are available at a cost of $50, which includes a seat at the event, access to the complimentary cocktail reception before the show begins and entry into the after-party at Barrs Bay Park – here’s the flyer!
- A new addition to the Happy Hour list, every Friday throughout the summer, UberVida are hosting a free Happy Hour Cocktail Cruise through Paradise Lakes. The boat departs #1 Dock on Front Street at 5.30pm returning at 7pm and then another departing at 7.30pm, returning at 9pm. Dress code is business casual – here’s the flyer!
- If that hasn’t expanded your Happy Hour options enough, here’s another – starting this Friday, Pink Beach Club are hosting their own Poolside Happy Hour with a BBQ, DJ and $6 drinks. The first drink is free to anyone who Likes their Facebook Page – here’s the flyer!
- Cambridge Beaches are offering a new deal for local residents who want to extend that weekend feeling to Monday nights – the new Alfresco Barbeque and Buffet at the adult-only resort (minimum age is 16) includes all you can eat with entertainment by DJ Uncle. The cost is $30 per person, which includes grats but does not include drinks, and reservations are necessary – here’s the flyer!
Quick Recap of Upcoming Bermuda Events
Click on the event name to be taken to the original post with full details. No link means that the details are in this current post. For a handy Calendar view, click here to go to the Bermuda Calendar section:
Bermuda Magic: The Renaissance – June 3rd to November 1st
Bermuda Open Championship – June 14th to 17th
Bermuda Hauntings at Bermuda National Library – June 14th
Bermuda Cancer and Health Centre Purple Tag Days – June 15th and 16th
Pink Beach Club Poolside Happy Hour begins – June 15th
Capital G 24th Annual Iron Kids Triathlon – June 16th
Quiz Night at Bermuda Aquarium Museum and Zoo – June 16th
Docksiders Rave – June 16th
Gospel Benefit Concert – June 16th
Bermuda Recorder Society Consort Concert – June 19th
Jackson School of Performing Arts Summer Recital: Dancing Through The Universe – June 20th to 23rd
Community Family Movie Nights: Fire Proof – June 22nd
Flawless: Fashion, Art and Talent Showcase – June 22nd
Bermuda Ocean Explorers 1st Annual Sunset Cruise – June 23rd
WindReach 3rd Annual Archery Competition – June 23rd
Coppertone Co-ed Beach Volleyball Tournament – June 23rd
16th Annual Glow in the Dark Duck Race & Party – June 23rd
Fête de la Saint-Jean-Baptiste Party at Stonehole Bay – June 23rd
12th Lepercq Memorial Tournament – June 24th
Bermuda Docs Weekend Film Series: A Sea Change: Imagine A World Without Fish and Goodbye First Love – June 24th
Sandys 360 Summer Academy & Camp – June 28th to August 31st
Fish in the Park Party at Lemon Tree – June 29th
Summer Sundays in the Park: Rockin’ de Rock – July 1st
Summer Camp at Somerset School of Dancing – July 2nd to July 13th
Sandys 360 Aquatics Camp – July 2nd to August 31st
City Festival Evolution Fashion Show – July 7th
Miss Bermuda Pageant 2012 – July 8th
Teachers RFC Ladies T Party – July 21st
It’s a Doll’s World – July 22nd to August 4th
Community Family Movie Nights: Joseph – July 27th
6th Annual Soca vs Reggae Cup Match After-Party – August 3rd
Summer Sundays in the Park: Lift Your Voices – August 5th
Correia Construction National Championship Motocross – August 5th
Correia Construction National Championship Motocross – August 19th
Community Family Movie Nights: Courageous – August 24th
Summer Sundays in the Park: Island Vibes – September 2nd
Correia Construction National Championship Motocross – September 2nd
The Family Centre’s Beach Bash – September 14th
Correia Construction National Championship Motocross – September 16th
Correia Construction National Championship Motocross – September 30th
Correia Construction National Championship Motocross – October 14th
Bermuda Kennel Club’s 2012 Bermuda Dog Shows – October 20th to 21st
Correia Construction National Championship Motocross – October 28th
Enjoy the rest of the week!